Installing Windows through LAN Boot

rajnusker

Sage of the Six Paths
Hi, as the title suggests I want the working procedure to install Windows (XP/7) by using the "Network Boot" option.

What I have:

1). Two spare PC's
2). Lan cable
3). Time

What I want to do:

I want to make one of the PC the source of installation files that can be used by the second PC to boot and install Windows XP or 7.

Rajesh345

Youngling
hello. Do you have server os like win 2008 to deploy ?

if yes search net for "windows server 2008 Windows deployment service co.configuration"

OP
R

rajnusker

Sage of the Six Paths
^I have 2003. Will it do? Or should I get 2008 or 2012? Do you have experience with this method?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
speaking by experience i say too much hassle.you need to install & configure a TFTP program on the system from which you want to install windows on target system.you also need to load windows image/dvd on this system which will be used to install on target system.

OP
R

rajnusker

Sage of the Six Paths
^Thanks will try that. I tried using Windows Deployment Services, but they seem to require a working DHCP,etc.. I don't know what they are. Anybody has a FULL tutorial?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
why are you using windows deployment services when you have the option to use TFTP server?i have successfully booted an intel atom desktop from a dell laptop via lan using that tutorial.

Top Bottom