Installing RedHat 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

aloysiustany

Broken In
Hello friends,

I am using Windows XP with Intel Celeron 1.10GHz and 128MB SD-RAM. I have a 40GB HardDisk with 4 partitions (C,D,E,F). I have Windows XP installed in the C drive. Now I got RedHat Linux 9 CD and I want to install it in my F drive. To install Linux, I booted my PC from the first Linux install CD. I went upto the partition page. In the partition page I specified to partion manually. But, I am totally helpless on how to proceed furthur if want to keep the current HardDrive partions and to install it to the F drive. If I choose 'automatic partitioning' and selected 'Keep the current partitions' and then if I press Next the following critical error message appears,
'You have not defined a root partion(/), which is required for installation of RedHat Linux to continue'.

Please help me in solving this problem. Also specify me in detail the step by step proceedure on how to move further from the partitioning page in the Linux installation if I want to keep the current HardDrive partions and to install it to the F drive without loosing any data from other drives of my HardDrive.

Thanks a lot in advance!!!

h4xbox

Journeyman
Why didnt u google / search here....

Ok aneways u can get a tut from Linuxsolved forums about this, and i think already this has been discusssed here more than once :D

Goto the forums register and then... u can grab a tut for the same... Let me brief it 4 u .. You need to have a disk partition software like partition magic / disk manager...Partition magic is most recommended as it is GUI... DM is for MS-DOS.

You must have a swap space and also have drive f: partitioned in ext2/ext3 file system.

You can then proceed by booting from the first cd :D
The full explanation can be found at the forums.

tuxfan

Technomancer
I will recommend you don't install RedHat 9. Its pretty old now. Try for a later distro and see if the problem continues.

tuxfan

Technomancer
Which distro CD do you want? I have Mandrake 10.1, Fedora Core 3, PCQ Linux 2005, Knoppix 3.6, Gnoppix 0.8, etc.

I can give them to you without profit i.e. at the cost of CDs and postage. But if you walk in with your own CDs, I will copy them without charges :)

But I am in Mumbai. Where are you?

OP
A

aloysiustany

Broken In
tuxfan said:
Which distro CD do you want? I have Mandrake 10.1, Fedora Core 3, PCQ Linux 2005, Knoppix 3.6, Gnoppix 0.8, etc.

I can give them to you without profit i.e. at the cost of CDs and postage. But if you walk in with your own CDs, I will copy them without charges :)

But I am in Mumbai. Where are you?
But, I am in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu. I will manage it if it costs less than 75 Rupees. From where did you get all those CD's? I want some live linux other than Knoppix 3.6 since I have it.

tuxfan

Technomancer
I am a subscriber to a few magazines and therefore got it for free with them. I really don't know what it will cost to ship them to Coimabtore. But please give me a few days and remind me if I forget. I will surely find out and let you know.

But contact pradeep_chauhan at this forum. He is form Bangalore and also must be having lots of distros. That way costs of postage will be lower.

If you have already have Knoppix, you don't need any other live distro. Its the best live distro.

But I don't have any profit motive here and as I already said will be willing to give it to at costs. :)

Alexander_H

Broken In
use disk druid...............and create partition manually....
at initiall installation step choose custom....
well choose ur drive whish is F....this means...hda7...or something like that..
create /boot..than /swap...depending upon the size of ur RAM...than /root...
if ..ur getting prbm in create this partion ths meanns there is some prbm in partition table.........

secondly it is best to install frm hard drive..than from linux cd
hope ths will work

vasanth_12345

Journeyman
The guy asks for help installing red hat 9 look wat he gets :lol: .Aluysistany first of all delete ur f: using fdisk .Then while installing give the option use free space it should work(worked for me)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom