Installing 9.04 by dual booting with Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

saqib_khan

I M A *STAR*
Hi all,

I will be installing Ubuntu 9.04 on my friends lappy having Vista. I'll be dual booting. So, can I just boot from 9.04 and install it on a separate partition? (like I do in XP)

Or should I use wubi? Is wubi compatible with Vista? Do I need to create separate empty partition in Vista? Because the lappy has a single drive i.e. C: , so should I create a new separate partition?

On the official site, it says
You keep Windows as it is, Wubi only adds an extra option to boot into Ubuntu. Wubi does not require you to modify the partitions of your PC, or to use a different bootloader, and does not install special drivers.

So what do u recommend me, should I boot from it & install or should I use Wubi? Anyone installed Ubuntu from Wubi??? Because I m hesitating to install from Wubi, I m afraid I'll do something wrong. One more thing, Wubi doesn't ask where to installl Ubuntu, isn't it?

Last question, on my PC, I installed drivers for Nvidia Gefore 7 series, I have mobo with integrated graphics, I don't have a graphics card. So, after installing, now I can't see anything, I only see a black screen, I think I installed wrong drivers. I can run Ctrl Alt F1, so now what should I do? Can I uninstall those drivers? BTW, i tried Ubuntu recovery mode, its also of no help.

I always have a lot of questions, isn't it? :))

I_no

__________ ___ __
What wubi does is to just install linux files in a folder in your windows directory and i think it uses the xp's own bootloader to load linux from it.
But i would recommend you to not go for wubi and install ubuntu in a separate partition as it is generally seen that ubuntu doesn't run that well inside wubi and there may be some hardware incompatibilities.

About the driver issue, if you can bring terminal up (taken from *ohioloco.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=683291&highlight=low+resolution )
This code will reconfigure X manually....
Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
This code will reset X back to default (if the original xorg.conf exists)....
Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

This should solve your issue.

OP
saqib_khan

saqib_khan

I M A *STAR*
Oh..I see.. lets see if any body else have knowledge abt wubi.

And I'll try that solution regarding driver issue & then will post here.

I_no

__________ ___ __
^^see the full post i linked, maybe some other member can solve your problem.
Try posting in Ubuntu forums if you haven't already, people there are very knowledgeable and the community is really helpful.
Try this also
Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
and when complete use the command to reboot
Code:
sudo reboot

this is also from the same ubuntuforums thread.

Flake

Linux User
You have to install Nvidia Proprietary Driver.
Press Alt+Ctrl+F1 and execute this
Code:
sudo lspci | grep -i vga
grep -i driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Post output here.

OP
saqib_khan

saqib_khan

I M A *STAR*
@ghost at rest,
Tried ur commands also. After entering the first command, it showed the name of me graphics i.e. Nvidia Corporation Geforce 7025 , which is right

After entering the second command, it showed,
Driver kbd
Driver mouse

That's it, now what should I do.

OP
saqib_khan

saqib_khan

I M A *STAR*
OK, leave this driver problem. I installed Ubuntu 9.04, as I was having 8.04, so deleted the partitions and installed 9.04.

So now I have ext4 file system, so which software should I use to see this partition in XP?

Another thing, now advise me how to install my graphics driver, as previously I made a big mistake by downloading the drivers from NVIDIA's site & installing. Should I use envy?

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Hi all,

I will be installing Ubuntu 9.04 on my friends lappy having Vista. I'll be dual booting. So, can I just boot from 9.04 and install it on a separate partition? (like I do in XP)

Or should I use wubi? Is wubi compatible with Vista? Do I need to create separate empty partition in Vista? Because the lappy has a single drive i.e. C: , so should I create a new separate partition?

On the official site, it says

So what do u recommend me, should I boot from it & install or should I use Wubi? Anyone installed Ubuntu from Wubi??? Because I m hesitating to install from Wubi, I m afraid I'll do something wrong. One more thing, Wubi doesn't ask where to installl Ubuntu, isn't it?

I recommend a separate partition with the bootloader installed to the root partition and GAG on the MBR.

Last question, on my PC, I installed drivers for Nvidia Gefore 7 series, I have mobo with integrated graphics, I don't have a graphics card. So, after installing, now I can't see anything, I only see a black screen, I think I installed wrong drivers. I can run Ctrl Alt F1, so now what should I do? Can I uninstall those drivers? BTW, i tried Ubuntu recovery mode, its also of no help.

I always have a lot of questions, isn't it? :))

Usually a Ctrl+Alt+F1 and
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
should work to get you back the vesa driver

Then in the GUI mode (Ctrl+Alt+F7), click on System->Administration->Hardware drivers and enable the restricted driver from there. It will ask for your password and do the needful.

OP
saqib_khan

saqib_khan

I M A *STAR*
^^ Thanx for replying.
I recommend a separate partition with the bootloader installed to the root partition and GAG on the MBR.
Whoa, this is too hard for a newbie like me to understand. Do u have any link for any tutorials?

BTW, I tried sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg. This didn't worked. It was old i.e. 8.04, so I installed 9.04 in its place. But now I want to know how to install Nvidia drivers for Ubuntu. I was thinking to try envy. But now by your recommendation, I will try installing drivers from Hardware drivers. Hope I didn't do anything wrong this time. Last time I tried to install drivers from Nvidia site and ka-boom, all I got was a black screen after loading. So to solve this problem I installed latest Ubuntu 9.04.

Last question, I made an EXT4 filesystem partition. So which software should I use to see that partition in Windows? Previously I was using Ext2IFS software, but I don't think it will work, as now I have ext4.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
^^ Thanx for replying.
Whoa, this is too hard for a newbie like me to understand. Do u have any link for any tutorials?

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117970

Last question, I made an EXT4 filesystem partition. So which software should I use to see that partition in Windows? Previously I was using Ext2IFS software, but I don't think it will work, as now I have ext4.

I really do not know.

Flake

Linux User
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg doesn't work in latest version of most of Debian Based distros. hal tries to configure hardware and use proper values instead of generated one.

To access Windows OS partitions, execute this
Code:
sudo fdisk -l
df -h
Post output here.

* Its small L in fdisk -l.

OP
saqib_khan

saqib_khan

I M A *STAR*
^^ No.. I m talking abt seeing Ubuntu partition (data) in Windows. Which software should I use in Windows to access my data in Ubuntu's partition (which is ext4)? Previously I was using Ext2IFS software, but thats for ext2 partition. Now which software should I use to see or access ext4 filesystem partition in Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom