Install Mint thru Windows or wubi

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegendKiller

In the zone
Hi, i am new to linux........i want to know if i can install linux-mint thru windows???
Can wubi be used and is it safe.....
i am asking this because i am worried about partitioning process my only hdd.
i have 5 partitions and know how to install windows...

ionicsachin

Ambassador of Buzz
AFAIK Wubi can be used only with Ubuntu and its varients like Kubuntu...I ve tried it on both Ubuntu and Kubuntu and its totally safe...but the problem is, it creates big .disk files to be used as harddisks and this doesnt give full performance of ur harddisk in Linux

Flake

Linux User
i am asking this because i am worried about partitioning process my only hdd.
i have 5 partitions and know how to install windows...
There is no need to worry about partitions. You can create correct partition structure easily. You will get much better performance in disk installation instead of virtual install like Wubi.

Lets check partition structure of your hard disk first. Boot up from Mint CD, open Terminal and execute this
Code:
sudo fdisk -l
Post output here. Above command will display partition structure only.

* Its small L in fdisk -l.

OP
LegendKiller

LegendKiller

In the zone
sorry for not replying....
actually i installed mint using their windows installer on 20gb partition and its working fine...
the problem is i can't install apps......
and also i dunno if there's any need for fw and a AV...plz help!

Flake

Linux User
LegendKiller said:
the problem is i can't install apps......
If your machine has internet access then its really easy to install packages. Just open Synaptic Package Manager, select any package and install it.

OP
LegendKiller

LegendKiller

In the zone
ya,i went thru the their help guide and have learnt a few ways to install programs....one of them being thru their mint-install....
anyway thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom