India Orders VPN Companies to Collect and Hand Over User Data

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Perhaps we should write a guide on digit forums on how to setup openvpn VPS on free servers on aws/gcp/oracle. It should get more people into setting up their own servers once indian servers of good vpn providers start dissapearing.

I can do it in weekends if there is interest.
Indians web hosting or VPNs won't disappear because this is the age of cloud computing. This is a increasing trend that we will notice.

India is the next big thing after China so don't fret man. Good times are ahead for all of us.

Sent from my SM-M317F using Tapatalk

Nerevarine

Incarnate
You clearly didn't read the requirement proposed in the original law. Not all VPN companies will agree to storing and collecting data in servers kept in India.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
You clearly didn't read the requirement proposed in the original law. Not all VPN companies will agree to storing and collecting data in servers kept in India.
Why so? Why because of costs maybe and any servers work the same way unless like in northern hemispheres since they might not need more cooling towers.

Sent from my SM-M317F using Tapatalk

Nerevarine

Incarnate
*windscribe.com/features/no-logs#:~:text=TLDR; We don't keep,tier limitations and prevent abuse.

*windscribe.com/privacy

Nerevarine

Incarnate

This is windscribe's representative's reply on discord.

Hey, that was me. This answer was strictly related to how we view the legalities of the situation. No one can answer that in a practical sense just yet so it's too soon to say what will happen. We're actively investigating though you better believe it.

I responded in another thread that the OP deleted but like with any demand like this we're not choosing to comply. We will most likely just have to add India as a country our founders can't visit any time soon because of ethically troubling behaviour.

China and Russia have less stringent requirements for VPNs, and those are dictatorships. It's highly unfortunate that India decided to go down this route while being the "biggest democracy in the world".
That might sound harsh but these are words from our founder and I agree with him. India should not make these moves to echo Russia & China's police state.

OP
RumbaMon19

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
I guess the "Decision Makers of the people" went to website of some VPN (to Bypass something they banned few years ago), and they saw the title "Browse the web privately" or something in the likes of privacy and untraceability, so as boomers always have been against the idea of privacy, they took this action. They can't ban VPN as offices use it so they demand tracking.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why so? Why because of costs maybe and any servers work the same way unless like in northern hemispheres since they might not need more cooling towers.
It is not a matter of cost but a matter of privacy. The whole point of using vpn is to have more privacy compared to using regular connection. If vpn servers in India are keeping logs for 5 years then it is no different from using your typical net connection where ISPs are anyway keeping records of your connection activity so why would anyone pay extra to use a vpn.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
@K_akash_i Replying to your deleted message:

Tor is safe in the sense that your ISP will know that you are using Tor, but they won't know what you are accessing. However, it is possible for the government to restrict access to Tor as some countries already do. Though IIRC there are workarounds in Tor to circumvent that but I am not sure how that works.

Top Bottom