IIT Kharagpur team develops Rs.1 lakh artificial heart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disc_Junkie

Call me D_J!
A research team from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur (IIT-K) has developed an artificial heart that can save life for just Rs.1 lakh.

The artificial heart gadget has been successfully trialed on small animals and is being perfected on goats.

A team of IIT Kharagpur's School of Medical Science and Technology developed the "Total Artificial Heart (TAH)", after a research of four years.

The institute has applied for the consent of the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) to conduct this trial on humans as well.

The artificial heart is much better and is quite affordable as compared to the heart developed in the US that showed a high rate of failure and was priced at Rs.30 lakhs which was in no way affordable for a common man.

"The 13-chamber heart is working very well in small animals," said a team member.

The team is expecting to fit the heart into a human body within a few months time after seeking permission from ICMR.

Human tests will be conducted at the Medical College and Hospital, Kolkata. Senior cardiac surgeons who will conduct the human trials include Madhusudan Pal, Bhaskar Ukil, Tarun Saha and Kalishankar Das from MCH and Rajiv Narang of AIIMS.

"Former AIIMS director and one of the leading cardiac surgeons of the country are expected to be a part of the team," said Sujoy Guha, IIT-K faculty member and bio-medical engineering expert, who is also leading the team.

"TAH will act as a rescue for patients having heart ailments, especially with very weak heart muscles that require immediate transplantation of the heart," added Guha.

Source: *indiaedunews.net/IIT/IIT_Kharagpur_team_develops_Rs.1_lakh_artificial_heart_7755/

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
hmm recently i heard an iit 3rd year elec grad student died coz of lack of medical facilities.Watz the use of this when the basic amenities are lacking in premier institutes like IIT kharagpur!!

source:*timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Cities...ter-students-death/rssarticleshow/4302546.cms

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Am awaiting its first successful implant.

In India lots of low cost alternatives are developed but soon they disappear into thin air. Anyone remember our desi supercomputer "Param" which apparently costed a fraction of its Cray counterpart. I have no idea if it is still in use or gathering dust in some museum.

Also Simputer anyone?

red_devil

Back!
Ppl shud buy it instead of Tata nano :lol:

heart ko haath main leke ghooega kya ? :))

Am awaiting its first successful implant.

In India lots of low cost alternatives are developed but soon they disappear into thin air. Anyone remember our desi supercomputer "Param" which apparently costed a fraction of its Cray counterpart. I have no idea if it is still in use or gathering dust in some museum.

Also Simputer anyone?

exactly ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom