IIS in win XP pro?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

taken

Journeyman
hi,

how can a normal user use IIS in win Xp pro. it just dont operate at all showing just unwanted wastes in IE, though the same statement i.e. *localhost works fine for administrator and poweruser. even making folders and adding/editing are possible which i need to make it available for normal users.

any suggestion or if any link is there then may pls link me up.

surely, awaiting reply

taken

theraven

Technomancer
wait what exactly do u wanna know ?
how to set up IIS ?
or u want an alternate option cuz u dun like IIS ?
anyways .. u need a public ip address to have a server
and u got to lease this ..
and its costly
u cannot use what ur ISP gives unfortunately !

digen

Youngling
By looking at your post again I feel you've not configured it correctly or you've probelms publishing it on the unsecure internet.
Yeah I stressed "unsecure" here cause IIS has a distinction of going bad if mis-configured.
Btw you can use free dynamic dns services to bind your public IP[static or dynamic] to a domain name.

Incase if ever you think of taking it online I seriously hope you read through these pages & get acquainted with every bit of info there: *www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/technologies/iis/default.mspx

Also get some tools like IIS Lockdown...blah blah & harden it properly.

OP
T

taken

Journeyman
well well,

here it goes.

i am using win xp pro wherein am using IIS to develop some web site, you can treat this as an initial user. well, when i login as administrator, i can run, stop the service. i can add any folder and do what ever i want the system to do, just viewing it in local machine only, no server in picture.

but when i login as user (limited account) everything is just not there. all the button are gray and i just cant do anything. what i want it to make an ordinary user to do some or all tasks in IIS but for security just dont want them to be administrator.

hope this explination make it clear. also, there is no "internet' concept here, its just local.

taken

digen

Youngling
Dude I still dont get it,what exactly are you trying to achieve?
Do you want users on your local lan to be able to access the site?Or do you want other users[power,limited users] to access the site when they login,but I dont see a point in doing that?
Care to elaborate pls?
Hell right,limited user accounts are by name & virtue limited by nature.It is the most resricted account found with which you have very less options configuring & installing stuff.

ferrarif50

Journeyman
You are not clear about your problem. Anyways, limited users cannot conigure any of the admnistrative tools. If you want the limitied account users to view your local website, go to services in administrative tools in control panel ( or type services.msc in Start>Run ), make all the services relating to IIS to start automatically.

This way the service would run in other accounts too and the users can view the website.

Hope this helps you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom