if Everything FREE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iinfi

mekalodu
i v seen a lot of softwares made for Linux ...
i v seen that all softwares for Linux platform r freewares ...

how will the s/w maker earn money

i v decided to start making s/w s n programs for linux platform ....

do i have to give everything for free ...

well how do i earn a living ? :roll: :arrow:

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
well not everything is free...

most big distros have 2 versions... one is the paid version and the other is the scaled down free version...

distros like slackware are free... they get donations from various org. and software foundations....

yea u've no obligation to sell it for free :wink:

the only obligation is that u have to release the source code too :)

u can earn profits no probz :) :twisted:

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
iinfi said:
i v seen a lot of softwares made for Linux ...
i v seen that all softwares for Linux platform r freewares ...
Mind you, none of them are freewares ... they're all free-dom-ware .... their programmers/authors can legally charge you for using that software, but they are generous enough to let people use the software for free, make modifications in its source code, and even redistribute the software without paying the author any licencing fees...

iinfi said:
how will the s/w maker earn money
i v decided to start making s/w s n programs for linux platform ....
do i have to give everything for free ...
well how do i earn a living ? :roll: :arrow:

We already had an extensive talk on this topic... Go through that topic, most of your queries have been covered. If you are not satisfied with a particular opinion, then just bounce it again...

Topic: Free vs. Prop. Software. Is free financially viable?
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7424

tuxfan

Technomancer
Yo GNUrag!! You did usethe term coined by me - freedomware :D I am glad :)

BTW, iinfi, take some time out and only then open the link GNUrag gave you. Few of us had a long discussion there. I feel the discussion went on for such a long time that we stopped discussing without coming to a conclusion :? :(

GNUrag, sourceforge has rejected the project altfunction :( Please see what's wrong and correct it. I think it is because of licensing. They need more clarity.

tuxfan

Technomancer
BONZI said:
You did usethe term coined by me - freedomware

Is it??? I think I've heard that b4. Otherwise use that c inside o.

Well, I hadn't heard it before when I started using it. While we were debating on Free Software (free as in free speech) here in the thread of free vs. prop software, it was getting confusing. Everytime we had to specify the meaning of the word free. So I started using the terms freedomware and freeware to reduce confusion.

And if someone else had already used that term earlier, well, you know, great men think alike ;) :lol: Just kidding!! :)

BTW, "Otherwise use that c inside o" - what does this mean? :?:

tuxfan

Technomancer
:oops: That is what he meant!! :roll:

Anyway, I have applied the GNU/GPL licence to that term and anyone is free to use that term as long as I get the credit for coining it ;) :lol:

firewall

In the zone
about Freedomware Yes.. i know a person who has coined the term in another forum a long time ago.... and its tuxfan ;)

:D

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
tuxfan said:
Anyway, I have applied the GNU/GPL licence to that term

I believe, you cannot apply licences to a term coined by you, you can however copyright your terms.

tuxfan

Technomancer
GNUrag said:
I believe, you cannot apply licences to a term coined by you, you can however copyright your terms.

GNUrag, I think you didn't see those winking and laughing smilies at the end of that sentence!! What I said was said in a lighter vein. I was JOKING :)

firewall said:
about Freedomware Yes.. i know a person who has coined the term in another forum a long time ago.... and its tuxfan
Thank you for seconding my claim of coining that term :D Well, I stand vindicated. After all, I wasn't lying ;) 8)

firewall

In the zone
@Tuxfan... Still I prefer and suggest to use the Term " Free software" ;) not the freedomware.... :)

a.m

tuxfan

Technomancer
firewall said:
@Tuxfan... Still I prefer and suggest to use the Term " Free software" ;) not the freedomware.... :)

a.m

No problem in using that term. But it creates confusion at times when we communicate with someone who doesn't know the difference between freeware and free software. While talking to you, I will never used that term. Promise! :)

GNUrag said:
hey tuxfan, all of my postings also have an implied smiley
IMPLIED smiley Now, I give full credit to you for coining that term!! :lol: Never heard earlier that smilies are implied (as compared to actual ;))

bravefart

Broken In
This confusion is quite prevelant in public how to make money on internet ; the hype about E-commerce etc. etc. You should consider E-commerce as normal commerce with only difference that your marketing zone increases worldwide; its this global-marketing and global reach that makes it so delicious

Just let your imagination loose ; or better still copy some already succesful idea from west (Thats what we we Indians do best :) ). Make one great freeware that sets your reputation (like an investment); that would work as great advertising platform. After that people will know who you are and would come to your website(yeah it works best if you have your own website like a Permenant good location like in traditional Business). Where you can sell your other shareware versions and who knows if your work impresses a big name or a big Investor who mite buy rights from you of your baby's potentials. Etc. Etc.
Guess this sums up lil bit of Ecommerce in layman terms.
PeaceV

tuxfan

Technomancer
So ultimately, you want to make money by selling proprietory software!! That is an idea as old as Bill Gates' common sense ;)

But here the duscussion is how to make enough money from free software (freedomware not freeware)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom