IEEE 1394 Which one to buy 4 SAMSUNG Handy

Discussion in 'Hardware Q&A' started by Choto Cheeta, Oct 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta Rebooting

Hi..

I have one SAMSUNG MiniDV Camcorder... now it has both USB and IEEE 1394 DV Tape to Computer transefar option... I have used the SD card to computer it went very good... but while with MiniDV Tape to CD/DVD using USB is taking very very long time... I am suggested to opt for the IEEE 1394 fireware port trancefar...

My Desktop MotherBaord is ASUS A7V8X MX SE.... I want to buy a IEEE 1394 fireware port PCI card... please suggest one... !!! I did some ebay search... it seems cards are available from 600 to 800 range... few with software few without... so suggest one good, keeping in ind that local bazar availibility... I am from Kolkata !! and if possible do suggest the price also...

and any extra software what will come with the card (IEEE 1394) or i can download from any other source (Trial will do ;) )....

Saurav !!

2. sam9s

sam9s The High 5 Flyer

You can go for any firewire card. Firewire card is not big a deal to search for a branded one. Opt any. Make sure you have the Firewire cable and the driver CD included. You should get a decent card under 400 including cable.
    As far as softwares are concerned, the best one is WinDV for capturing video in RAW format, and the best part is its free. Refer my other thread
    http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39102
    for more details. Let me know if I can be of more help.

3. janitha

janitha New Member

Yes, FW cards from brands like Intex are available locally for ~Rs400/- with cable and SW(seemingly pirated). I am also in search of a good one because there were warnings in the forum that cheap cards can damage the port on the camera.

4. OP
    OP
    Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta Rebooting

what to do then ?? Frontech or Intex... any of those card wont be good??

but in local Kolkata market its hard to get any other costly brand !!

5. janitha

janitha New Member

The deler here told me he can give a reputed brand used by professionals which will cost >Rs.2000/-. I forgot the name.

6. sam9s

sam9s The High 5 Flyer

What!! you must be kidding. I am in to this audio/video editing for ages, used all types of cards branded non branded, expensive, in expensive. Thats other thing that cards that were expensive a year ago have all reached the same 300-400 mark. No card damages your camera port unless you have a sudden input of 500 volts and that any how would take the entire system.

7. janitha

janitha New Member

You have quoted part of my sentence. This is what I wrote.
    "I am also in search of a good one because there were warnings in the forum that cheap cards can damage the port on the camera."
    To quote out of context and in part is not good ethics.

8. sam9s

sam9s The High 5 Flyer

I quoted that part because I WAS replying for that part, however I never knew quoting a part of the sentence was out of ethics. I have been posting the same way...leme see...how many times....cant even count...on n number of forums and till now no one has pointed out that. Still I respect ethics and I apologies, I will keep that in mind. Intentions were to clear the doubt though.......no hard feelings peace..:)

9. janitha

janitha New Member

Please see the difference in meaning when it is in part and full. ie. why.
    Surely no hard feelings.

10. OP
    OP
    Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta Rebooting

OK OK....

So both agree no hard feellings... anyway ... so can we get back to the thread topic pls... ?? :p ??

which card to buy ?? Frontech and Intex are common in Local Kolkata market... so shall I go for any of them ?? or any other brand u may suggest ??

and whats 6PIN and 4PIN DV jack ?? My Camcorder has a 4PIN jack :confused: and manual warrned me about the confusion of 4 pin and 6 pin jack... My Handy has a 4PIN jack... so any thing more i need to know before I buy a card... ??

by the way ?? what are the system requierment to run WinDV?? I mean My config... AMD 2600 XP @ 1.9GHz 512MB DDR 400 MHz with VIA on board graphics (32MB and mind u very poor video chip :p)... will there be any problem of frame rate in WinDV capture ??

Last edited: Oct 25, 2006
  11. sam9s

sam9s The High 5 Flyer

If yo HAVE to choose between Frontec n Intex I would go for Intex. Just for a sake of brand no reasons though. And you need 6 to 4 pin DV cable (which would be included with the card). And your card would support both 6 pin and 4 pin so no worries. 6 to 4 pin DV cable looks something like the attachment.
    Your system conf. is just fine to capture video, however I would definately suggest a dedicated video card. While capturing make sure the frame rate drop should always be zero or at the most less than 5, other wise there would be audio video sync problem. If you are dropping frame rate too much free your system resources, close all the background applications. Make sure you do not run multiple applications while capturing. So go ahead....happy capturing.

12. OP
    OP
    Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta Rebooting

to me i preffer the worrenty also... as with Intex Spk system here in Kolkata... they have a bad reputation of post sales services :( ...

anyway any other brand in ur mind ?? otherwise I wuld go for Intex... :)

13. sam9s

sam9s The High 5 Flyer

If you dont like Intex go for Frontec. As I said FW card is no big a deal to think so much. I have worked with pure non branded cards as well and they work just fine. If you r concerned with the warranty choose any card which gives you a good warranty.

14. OP
    OP
    Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta Rebooting

ok i went for a frontech one with a Year of warranty... pluged in.. and i am trancefaring video... speed is better than USB so is size... its really HUGE even with default settings :( (not mentioning if done with highest settings it takes 4GB for 44sec of video lol... )

time takes while saving the video either in VCD or in DVD format... :( that conversion time is very long in my config... i will try it with another system Intel P4 630 with 512DDR2 hope in there i would get better speed...

15. sam9s

sam9s The High 5 Flyer

Ofcourse it would be huge, its in RAW format. though not as huge as 4GB for 44 secs. Settings are messed up.Which application are you using for capturing. With WinDv its takes approx 250 MB per minute (I have a 200GB separate HDD for my Video capturing/editing work) with more than DVD quality. There are hardly any settings in WinDV. When u run WinDV you get the config tab, go in to configuration, select Type 2 under DV capturing device. Then set Discontinuity treshold to 0 and Max AVI size to 1000000. Click OK and go back to the main window. Set the path to save your file. And click capture to start. You end file would be in AVI RAW format.
    Either you can compress it using Divx 6.2 codecs (Use it with Virtualdub)or convert them in to DVDs(DVD convertion would reduce the result files by more than half.... my 8 GB capture easily went on to one DVD) and store it........your choise. For conversion guide refer site www.videohelp.com or www.doom9.org (Awesome sites). For converting to DVD I have a comprehensive guide its more than 39 KB(even after zipping) so cant attach. Provide me your mail ID will mail it to you. Happy capturing.................

PS: Your cong was fine for capturing but for converting you need far better machine or you can leave your machine running overnight and that should take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.