i5(2.5GHz) or i7(1.7GHz)

gagankapula

Broken In
I want to buy a laptop but am confused at choosing the correct cpu.

I basically do a lot of video encoding work on software like MeGUI, MediaCoder, RealAnime plus I also play lot of games

So I was confused whether to opt for an dual core i5 with 2.5 ghz (Dell XPS 15) or to go for quad core 1.7 ghz (Dell XPS 14 (U541001IN8))

As far a I think......for multithreaded apps.....i7 would be better choice......but still I'm quite worried for the single threaded apps.....

so please guide me....

also tell me is Dell XPS 14 (U541001IN8) is good enough to buy to match my work load.

:smile::smile:

Last edited:

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I want to buy a laptop but am confused at choosing the correct cpu.

I basically do a lot of video encoding work on software like MeGUI, MediaCoder, RealAnime plus I also play lot of games

So I was confused whether to opt for an dual core i5 with 2.5 ghz (Dell XPS 15) or to go for quad core 1.7 ghz (Dell XPS 14 (U541001IN8))

As far a I think......for multithreaded apps.....i7 would be better choice......but still I'm quite worried for the single threaded apps.....

so please guide me....

also tell me is Dell XPS 14 (U541001IN8) is good enough to buy to match my work load.

:smile::smile:

core i-5 is quad core... :))

core i-7 on lappy is not a good choice

OP
G

gagankapula

Broken In
Dual Core for Laptops
Quad Core for Desktops :)

@gagankapula
What's your budget??? And give links to your specified laptops!!!

Well my budget is around 55k

this is the laptop i'm talking about:
*www.techgadgetsite.com/archives/1352

I'm opting for i7 for future proofing as well as power sake,

if you can, please briefly tell me the demerits of having quad core on lappy :smile:

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
I dont think quad cores have any kinda demerits :)
Quad-Cores are generally better than Dual-Cores esp. in you requirement i.e. Video Encoding.

And I'll suggest you to take a look at New Dell XPS 15 series. It comes with 2nd generation Intel Processors which are significantly better than last generation.

See the link below. Customize it to include - Core i7 2630QM(Processor) and GT 540(Graphics Card). It'll cost you around 57k which is just 2k more than your current XPS 14. As you said Future-Proof, I strongly recommend you get XPS 15 instead :)
New XPS 15

OP
G

gagankapula

Broken In
Thanks for the advise....i'll decide what to take on the spot :) , i'll buy my laptop in the month of july. You think any new hardware would be launched or the prices will go down by then??

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
Don't know whether new hardwares would launch by then, but yeah prices would (hopefully) become more accomodating. Just wish for more and more competition between laptop manufacturers ;-)

Top Bottom