HTPC Configuration required

sydbarett

Broken In
Hi all,

I'm planning to assemble a powerful :)-P) HTPC using a quad core i5. Need suggestions on :-

(1) Which case to use ? (I live in Kolkata so availability may be an issue)

(2) I want to be able to use the standard 5.25 inch optical drives and currently unable to find an HTPC case that has bays for it. So am open to all "small form factor" cases.

(3) Is is possible to get a decent CPU cooler for HTPCs ?

(4) I'm into a lot of media processing (read photo-editing and video ripping) and therefore do a lot of file transfers. I want to get a case which provides USB3 as well as firewire 800 ports. But I realise this may be difficult so I'm thinking of getting one of those twin USB3 cards that use PCI slots. Is it available in Kolkata ? If yes where ?

If any of you guys have assembled something similar would be glad to know the config used.

Thanks a lot !

Cilus

laborare est orare
As per youtr requirement, your config should be a powerful rendering and multimedia PC, why are you saying that you want a HTPC. HTPC is something which has as less processing power and power consumption as possible only to handle HD video in a large screen.

Fill up the qustions present in PC Building QuentionnaireTemplate and post it here so that we can understand your requirement properly and suggest accordingly.

OP
sydbarett

sydbarett

Broken In
Thanks for the reply Cilus. I mentioned HTPC because I was particular about the size of the CPU unit. I used to own a CM690 case until recently and found it difficult to find enough space for it !

Okies, here the query as per format :-

1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A: Photo Editing & Blu Ray/DVD Ripping

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: Yes

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: 35K

4. Planning to overclock?
A: No

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Win 7 Ultimate

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: 1-2 TB

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A: 23 inch screen at full HD

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: 7

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: I have bought components on my own (research) but assembling was done by technician from shop where I bought the hardware from

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: In about a weeks time

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: In terms of USB3 yes

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: Nothing that I want to exclude. But the choice of things like graphics card or PSU may be narrowed because of the small sized case.

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: Kolkata. Yes

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: I want the CPU size as small as possible. Other requirements as in first post.

BTW, any feedback on the Intel DH67BL & ASUS M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3 mobos and the CM Vortex Plus heatsink ?

Also are Lian Li cases available in India ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom