HTPC Configuration advice

mohsin20

Broken In
I am planning to build an htpc with a budget of around 25-30k. The machine should be able to play full hd on my lcd and also be able to be on continuous active mode for days ans sometimes weeks. It shouldn't overheat and shutdown.

Mostly to be used for internet, watching hd movies and constant download.

i intend to install an i5 2500 with 8gb ram and two harddrives. 1 40gb ssd for os and 1tb hard drive to download.i also have my eye on Coolermaster Hyper TX3 CPU cooler. all i am looking for are the missing links. a good micro or mini atx cabinet. and i am also in a dillema of either going for a graphic card or should i stick to the intel motherboard that has hdmi out. since i am not into gaming i am thinking against the graphic card for two reasons. a- cost and b- heating.

please advise with links and prices.

mohsin from mumbai

bibinjohn

Journeyman
please complete this template

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-components-configurations/149943-pc-build-questionnaire-template.html

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
^^ Do that.

+
I am planning to build an htpc with a budget of around 25-30k.
i intend to install an i5 2500 with 8gb ram
i am also in a dillema of either going for a graphic card or should i stick to the intel motherboard that has hdmi out.

The quotes parts are self -contradicting.
Before filling up That template decide what you are going to build, PC or HTPC?
2500 for HTPC is overkill and HTPC can't run without graphics card if you haven't got AMD APUs.

OP
M

mohsin20

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Generic answers will not work. Be exact and avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Watch full hd/ bluray movies on lcd tv. internet access and constant downloads. (sometimes i don't switch my laptop of for weeks.) no games

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 25k can be extended to 30k max.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: no

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: windows 7 ultimate

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 40gb ssd and 1tb hard drive

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: no.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:Monitor as i have a lcd tv. i also have wireless keyboard and mouse.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: asap

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: andheri -mumbai. i will be buying locally

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:dimensions of the cabinet should not exceed 12"x10"x20 (HxDxW)
also planning to have a cpu fan that can be added to the cabinet.
it should tackle overheating issues and play full hd movies via hdmi seamlessly.

one more point to add it should have inbuilt wifi adaptor

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
You don't need Intel i5-2500 for a HTPC. It is overkill and Intel Graphics are crap. I hope by HTPC you mean a HTPC only. Nothing else.

d6bmg has rightly said. You should be getting an AMD A series APU.

My suggestion:

AMD A6-3500 @ 4600. (3 cores and great built-in Radeon HD 6530D graphics. It has Universal Video Decoder which is good for decoding movies. This is what should be getting for a "HTPC")

Asus F1A75-M @ 6500 ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS F1A75-M <-- this also has HDMI-out as well.

For Wifi, you'll have to buy a dongle or a card. Motherboard don't ususally come with built-in Wifi.

2 * 4GB Gskill Ripjaws X 1600 Mhz RAM @ 3200

Kingston SSDNow V100 64 GB SSD @ 5000

WD Caviar Black 1 TB Hard Disk @ 5600

Corsair CX430v2 @ 2400 (important)

I don't have much idea about cases though.

OP
M

mohsin20

Broken In
how about AMD A6-3650 @ 6000 in lieu of A6-3500.

i still need advice over cases and cpu fans. will Coolermaster Hyper TX3 CPU cooler (Rs 1250) fit in an HTPC with the dimensions specified

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
how about AMD A6-3650 @ 6000 in lieu of A6-3500.
yup. A6-3650 is fine as well. Beter infact. ;)

i still need advice over cases and cpu fans. will Coolermaster Hyper TX3 CPU cooler (Rs 1250) fit in an HTPC with the dimensions specified
I can't comment on that until I know the case you are planning to get. But believe me, you don't need Hyper TX3 for an AMD APU. These run cool.

I have Intel i5-2500k. It runs comparitively hot.

Check this out as well: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS E35M1-I DELUXE

It has AMD E-350 processor with built-in Radeon HD 6310. This is purely for HTPC. Nothing else. It also has built-in Wifi. Very very power efficient and will fulfill your "HTPC" requirements.

Mind you, it will cost Rs. 10000 (may be more) and the processor is NOT desktop class. It is slow but is specially made for HTPC and low power download rigs.

I suggest A6-3650 though.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Suggestion of ico + case: CM Elite 310 @2.1K

@OP, you can't get HTPC case at your budget. So, you have to use normal case.

OP
M

mohsin20

Broken In
maybe i am a little confused. since htpc are relatively small in form factor. i am assuming i want an htpc.

Right now i am using a 17" laptop that has been connected to my lcd via hdmi and i mostly watch movies or tele serials on tv via laptop. my laptop has recently started to shutdown due to overheating concerns especially when i am watching full hd being streamed via hdmi. the laptop has 512 mb graphic card.(nvidia g210m). as you can see from the images attached the laptop boots at 60 degrees. it is currently sitting on a cooler master pad but that hasn't resolved much. even if i am to buy a pc with a small cabinet somewhere along the size of an htpc i am okay with that concept. but my primary reason to purchase is watching hd movies and long term reliability

Attachments

• 20120121_223942.jpg
    20120121_223942.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 20120121_224459.jpg
    20120121_224459.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 106

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
For Cabinet check any one of these two:-

Buy Silverstone Grandia GD04B Black HTPC mATX in Mumbai India

Buy Silverstone SST-LC10B, SST-LC10S HTPC Case in Mumbai India

First one is for mATX, miniITX, DTX mobo, 2nd one can house a ATX mobo. Cost 5900 & 6300 respectively.

Or check this:-

Buy Sliver Stone | Silverstone Sugo Series

Cost only 4100, can take mATX mobo and ATX PSU.

For CPU, even a A4 3400 should suffice, I think. This one costs under 4k. For mobo, take a look at MSI A75MA-G55. It's 5.5k and has a HDMI out, although you get just 6 USB ports in the back.

Also as you have mentioned Blu-Ray Movies, do you want a Blu-Ray drive?

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
^ +1 to those Silverstone HTPC cases. AMD A4-3400 is more than enough as well.

@OP. Do kill the idea of Hyper TX3 though. I doubt if it will get fitted in those cases. Nor Llano APUs need one,

OP
M

mohsin20

Broken In
yup. A6-3650 is fine as well. Beter infact. ;)

I can't comment on that until I know the case you are planning to get. But believe me, you don't need Hyper TX3 for an AMD APU. These run cool.

I have Intel i5-2500k. It runs comparitively hot.

Check this out as well: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS E35M1-I DELUXE

It has AMD E-350 processor with built-in Radeon HD 6310. This is purely for HTPC. Nothing else. It also has built-in Wifi. Very very power efficient and will fulfill your "HTPC" requirements.

Mind you, it will cost Rs. 10000 (may be more) and the processor is NOT desktop class. It is slow but is specially made for HTPC and low power download rigs.

I suggest A6-3650 though.

i don't mind spending a little over my budget. to simply put it. i am looking for a good config for watching movies. i normally download hd/bluray formats and use vlc or bs player to watch movies. since i am going to put it inside a cupboard (lack of space) the system is bound to heat up, especially considering the fact that i sometimes keep the system running for weeks. i am looking to assemble a system that
A) fits inside a cabinet with dimensions of 12"x10"x20 (HxDxW).
B) shouldn't overheat or shutdown due to overheating issues even if i keep it running for a month. bear in mind the cpu will be fitted inside a cupboard and since that cupboard sits right above my bed , most often the cupboard doors are shut thereby reducing ventilation.
C) shouldn't slow down while multitasking.for example if i am running a virus scan right now and if i try to watch a movie or even if typing in msword there is a lag/delay in transmission and this is happening on a core 2 duo with 4gb ram and 512mb graphic card.
D) should run hd/bluray videos seamlessly.
E) if need be can be upgraded (although this is not very important but relevant)
F) I have my heart set on 8gigs of ram and two hard drives (one ssd for os and some apps and one 1tb hard drive for files and downloads).

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
No need for a separate cooler. There are some half height coolers "made for HTPC" and they are not that good over the stock cooler. Waste of money basically. Neither the Llano APUs need one.

Ventilation is important no matter whatever type of system you use. Even in a closed space there should some place for heat to escape, like the back of your cupboard or so.

Last edited:
OP
M

mohsin20

Broken In
the problem with those silverstone cabinets is that their depth is more than my limited space. i cannot exceed depth by 254mm. so i probably am looking for a standing cabinet or a smaller size if laying flat.

Ventilation is important no matter whatever type of system you use. Even in a closed space there should some place for heat to escape, like the back of your cupboard or so.

the back of my cupboard is wood and nailed to the wall. the only options for ventialtion are to keep doors open when i am using it and via the small hole on the top made for cables the hole is large in diameter. now when i am sleeping i have to lose the doors. although i am also considering putting the cpu in the lcd cupboard. see images attached. its just it will get congested if i have both there.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
You sure a normal cabinet would fit in that place???

You may also look for some Zotac ZBOX.

OP
M

mohsin20

Broken In
did consider branded htpc initially but they are overpriced and under spec'd.
hence i am seeking advise in this forum. i am sure there must be other options for me. its just that i a unable to fit the jigsaw puzzle together.
out of curiosity. will the Asus F1A75-M mobo and the Corsair CX430v2 fit in a micro atx.

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
out of curiosity. will the Asus F1A75-M mobo and the Corsair CX430v2 fit in a micro atx.
Asus F1A75-M is a micro ATX board. So, it will fit in.

ATX PS/2 form factor - that's the most common PSU form factor. So, the answer is yes. :)

PSU form factors

Corsair CX430 V2

Compare the dimensions.

honestly, in your case...the only problem is lack of space in the cupboard.

OP
M

mohsin20

Broken In
Asus F1A75-M is a micro ATX board. So, it will fit in.

ATX PS/2 form factor - that's the most common PSU form factor. So, the answer is yes. :)

PSU form factors

Corsair CX430 V2

Compare the dimensions.

honestly, in your case...the only problem is lack of space in the cupboard.

alright lets summarise
processor:- amd a6-3650 @6000
mobo:- Asus F1A75-M @ 6500
Ram:= 2 * 4GB Gskill Ripjaws X 1600 Mhz RAM @ 3200
ssd:- Kingston SSDNow V100 64 GB SSD @ 5000
HD:- WD Caviar Black 1 TB Hard Disk @ 5600
PSU:- Corsair CX430v2 @ 2400
wifi adaptor :- add another 1000

the only thing missing the complete the jigsaw is a cabinet that can fit in my cupbord.

alright lets summarise
processor:- amd a6-3650 @6000
mobo:- Asus F1A75-M @ 6500
Ram:= 2 * 4GB Gskill Ripjaws X 1600 Mhz RAM @ 3200
ssd:- Kingston SSDNow V100 64 GB SSD @ 5000
HD:- WD Caviar Black 1 TB Hard Disk @ 5600
PSU:- Corsair CX430v2 @ 2400
wifi adaptor :- add another 1000

the only thing missing the complete the jigsaw is a cabinet that can fit in my cupbord.

i think i found a case suitable for my space:-Coolermaster Elite 100 Micro ATX Case. please advise.

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
check this out, as it might fit in - Elite 100 - Cooler Master - Leading Provider of Computer Case | Cooler | Power Supply

but this has different issues.

1) Flex ATX PSU availability. But I guess that will be bundled and should be enough. But we don't really trust CM PSUs here.

2) Check out the features. With a Micro-ATX motherboard...you'd need a 2.5" Hard Disk drive. SSDs are 2.5" only so it's a non-issue.

3) A mini-ITX board if you might be interested - GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket FM1 - GA-A75N-USB3 (rev. 1.0) (do read specs and notes especially regarding 7.1 channel audio if you need.)

edit: lol, we posted at the same time.

OP
M

mohsin20

Broken In
check this out, as it might fit in - Elite 100 - Cooler Master - Leading Provider of Computer Case | Cooler | Power Supply

but this has different issues.

1) Flex ATX PSU availability. But I guess that will be bundled and should be enough. But we don't really trust CM PSUs here.

2) Check out the features. With a Micro-ATX motherboard...you'd need a 2.5" Hard Disk drive. SSDs are 2.5" only so it's a non-issue.

3) A mini-ITX board if you might be interested - GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket FM1 - GA-A75N-USB3 (rev. 1.0) (do read specs and notes especially regarding 7.1 channel audio if you need.)

edit: lol, we posted at the same time.

yep we both are working hard and i have to leave for delhi in a short while.
now since i am looking to instal a 3.5 " hdd i assume i would require a mini-itx board. now do we have any in asus. i have had a bad experience with gigabyte. besides i watch movies with bose headphones so i don't need 7.1
any other good mini-itx boards apart from asus will help too. and if i have to understand correctly. despite getting a 150 w psu with the cabinet. i remove that one and install the corsair one. am i correct?
question :- why do i need a higher watt psu.

Top Bottom