HP 610c issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

da_tcpip

Journeyman
i cant seem to find my 610c with System>Administration>Printing
i added hplip/foomatic-gui/cups.. still ubuntu edgy eft 64 cant scan for any visible printers.. and yes my printer is sqitched ON during all these times..
any help will be greatly appreciated

eddie

El mooooo
Did you restart CUPS (or reboot system) after installing those packages? hplip comes with hp-setup program for installing new printers. Try executing it from a terminal window and see if it finds the printer. If it still doesn't find the printer then try removing your USB cable from your cabinet and reinsert it. Then try again.

OP
D

da_tcpip

Journeyman
yes i have restarted the system many a times.. even ran hp-setup but it cant see any printers.. and 610c connects to the lpt port

eddie

El mooooo
Oh I didn't realise it was a parallel printer...but then again...you didn't mention it :)

Anyways, non detection of parallel printers is a known bug introduced in Dapper (6.06) and carry forwarded to Edgy (6.10). It is solved for Fiesty and in latest packages of CUPS for the previous releases of Ubuntu. You need to update your repositories and install the newer packages of CUPS manager.

A workaround would be to modify your /etc/modules file and remove "lp" module from it. Restart your system and the printer should be detected.

eddie

El mooooo
Actually in order to get printers with parallel ports working, cupsys loads lp module at its startup. In earlier versions of Ubuntu, the module was loaded at boot up and then cupsys tried to load it again but since the module was already loaded...cupsys failed. This confused cupsys and it did not detect printers connected to parallel port. Now since you have disabled loading of the module at boot up...the module is being successfully loaded by cupsys so you don't need to enable it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom