howto start X bypassing the login screen? & related Q's

Status
Not open for further replies.

cranky

Broken In
Hi, i have an FC6, i've changed my default runlevel to 3 and after my system boots im presented with the login prompt at the console, after i login if i want to enter the GUI, i give the 'startx' command and then it enters Gnome

>I use KDE as desktop environment, i want 'startx' to start KDE directly without choosing it in login screen.

>how can i choose the desktop session (KDE or GNOME or fluxbox) before giving startx i.e., in the console itself.

>and also how can i set resoultion for the console mode? coz the text appears big and fills my screen width if i give a lengthy command.

Last edited:

Pathik

Google Bot
if u using fc6 then login to kde by typing "startx" or "init 5" from the console...
then check the kde control center and select the enable GUI mode wen booting... u ll automatically get the list of the window managers to select from..

eddie

El mooooo
cranky said:
>I use KDE as desktop environment, i want 'startx' to start KDE directly without choosing it in login screen.

>how can i choose the desktop session (KDE or GNOME or fluxbox) before giving startx i.e., in the console itself.
You can use the command switchdesk on Fedora before startx. Like "switchdesk kde" for logging into KDE and "switchdesk gnome" for logging into GNOME. If you don't have switchdesk command then install it from Fedora's package manager.
>and also how can i set resoultion for the console mode? coz the text appears big and fills my screen width if i give a lengthy command.
That can be done in GRUB or LILO config files. You need to use proper VGA modes. Tell us which bootloader you are using.

eddie

El mooooo
Edit your menu.lst file and in your kernel line edit the "vga" parameter. Change it according to the following table and your desired resolution
Code:
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x64k
vga = 791
# Normal VGA console
# vga = normal
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x64k
# vga=791
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x32k
# vga=790
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x256
# vga=773
# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x64k
# vga=788
# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x32k
# vga=787
# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x256
# vga=771
# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x64k
# vga=785
# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x32k
# vga=784
# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x256
# vga=769
With a decent graphics card, recommended setting is vga=791.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom