How to use HDD as External Disk.

linardni

Journeyman
Please suggest me a way of using my hard disk drive of desktop computer as external disk. Alternately, any easy way of accessing the data connecting to a laptop.

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
i use two methods - a tech-com 3.5 disk enclosure and a tech-com usb to ide/sata adapter. both bought from local market for approx. INR500/- some 3-5 years back. the 3.5 disk enclosure now is stored some where else but the usb adapter is still there on the table and used frequently.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
*www.amazon.in/ORICO-External-Drive...=1518879780&sr=8-4&keywords=orico+transparent

*www.amazon.in/Orico-Transparent-En...=1518879780&sr=8-5&keywords=orico+transparent

Brother in the second link we can enclose the 2.5" laptop hdd+a sdd. Can we enlcose 2.5" old pc hdd's and then maybe use a ide to sata converter as mentioned by @vidhubhushan to connect it to modern systems?
*images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61P8kFww2lL._SL1200_.jpg
If yes then I think it is wise to spend those additional bucks.

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
Brother in the second link we can enclose the 2.5" laptop hdd+a sdd. Can we enlcose 2.5" old pc hdd's and then maybe use a ide to sata converter as mentioned by @vidhubhushan to connect it to modern systems?
*images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61P8kFww2lL._SL1200_.jpg
If yes then I think it is wise to spend those additional bucks.

2.5" old pc hdd? i thought those were used in laptops only. the adapter i have mentioned can be used with IDE / SATA / 2.5 Laptop Drives.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
2.5" old pc hdd? i thought those were used in laptops only. the adapter i have mentioned can be used with IDE / SATA / 2.5 Laptop Drives.
I have an old pc, which has an ide port hdd, I read somewhere that it is 2.5" sorry if it is the wrong info.
Other cool models
*www.amazon.in/ORICO-3588US3-3-5-in...+enclosure&refinements=p_89:ORICO|QuantumZERO
*www.amazon.in/ORICO-USB3-0-Externa...-4-fkmr0&keywords=tech-com+3.5+disk+enclosure

Is Orico a Chinese company as it is clearly mentioned, no warranty.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Orico is a chinese company & it does provide warranty if you buy it directly from their chinese official stores which obviously is not an option for those outside China.

IDE hdd must be quite old now & near its end of life,why take chance with it by spending extra on it.

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
I have an old pc, which has an ide port hdd, I read somewhere that it is 2.5" sorry if it is the wrong info.
Other cool models
*www.amazon.in/ORICO-3588US3-3-5-inch-External-Enclosure/dp/B00GAML7OK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1519125871&sr=8-5&keywords=hard+disk+enclosure&refinements=p_89:ORICO|QuantumZERO
*www.amazon.in/ORICO-USB3-0-Externa...-4-fkmr0&keywords=tech-com+3.5+disk+enclosure

Is Orico a Chinese company as it is clearly mentioned, no warranty.
Afaik old ide hdds are 3.5 only. I am using 2 from techcom, an Indian company but there wasn't any mention of the warranty.

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
Can you please share the link of your case and is it supporting ssd's also?
The case is for 3.5 only. The adapter has options for both 3.5 and 2.5. I have not used it with ssd but only with HDD.
I bought both from local computer market so don't have any link. Its Tech-Com SSD-235 IDE/SATA, USB to IDE/SATA Adapter. this model is not available on their website. a similar thing is this -

SATA/PATA/IDE Drive to USB 2.0 Adapter Converter Cable for 2.5 3.5 Inch Adapter: Buy SATA/PATA/IDE Drive to USB 2.0 Adapter Converter Cable for 2.5 3.5 Inch Adapter Online at best Prices from ShopClues.com

Last edited:

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Orico is better than techcom(think of it as redmi vs lava,one is big chinese company while other just import/assemble parts from China).
Thanks Brother. Should I go with the second link of yours then? SSD support is there too+it might support my old ide hdd's.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've these and serving my every external HDD related needs very well ( for sata only ) - the first one has mediocre compatibility with raspberry though :

*www.amazon.in/Terabyte-External-Casing-Drives-Enclosure/dp/B06XNQWJ21/

*www.amazon.in/RiaTech-2-5-Inch-External-Aluminum-Enclosure/dp/B01FYWAQAC/

Top Bottom