how to use a wifi card in desktop? (confused pls look inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

~It_is_Andrew~

Journeyman
This might be a noobish question but i am not really familiar with wifi setups (never used, but need to know for someone).
There is a wifi enabled laptop which uses a wifi card (some Aircard) which goes into a slot in the laptop & then a small antenna is attched & wifi is connected further.

The person wants to use this card in his Desktop pc too, like taking that card & pushing it in a slot in desktop pc to connect to the wifi - that is a tata indicom wireless connection; (no simultaneous/sharing connection is needed).

What exactly I need to buy to do that? (wifi card/ wifi usb adaptar? im confused as i never used those)

also if i would need a driver/software cd for that aircard (which he had before i bought anything)....

Please be a little descriptive in saying what exactly i need to buy & attach etc.
Thanks.

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
That is not a Wifi card, it is some sort of mobile internet card.

Secondly, I don't think that a PCMCIA card would be of any use on a desktop system. There is no such slot for a desktop. There are some adapters, but I not available in India...

You would be better off getting a TATA indicomm landline and using that for internet on your desktop PC...

I could be way wrong though...

OP
~It_is_Andrew~

~It_is_Andrew~

Journeyman
Thanx for the reply goobimama (single reply so far , come on others!!)
If its not wifi card then what it is?! ( i think its an wifi card only )
if anyone knows about what i should try (see the first post) or what hardware options are available in market, please reply!

shantanu

Technomancer
goobimama said:
That is not a Wifi card, it is some sort of mobile internet card.

Secondly, I don't think that a PCMCIA card would be of any use on a desktop system. There is no such slot for a desktop. There are some adapters, but I not available in India...

You would be better off getting a TATA indicomm landline and using that for internet on your desktop PC...

I could be way wrong though...

The Person is surely CORRECT !!!! had this thing in my DELL LAP too

Sourabh

Laptoping
It is not a wifi card. It is a mobile internet card either a PCMCIA or ExpressCard based. It generally makes use of the CDMA, EDGE networks from service providers. WiFi is WiFi for short range wireless networks.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
not sure it can b a wi-fi card too coz u get wi-fi cards for PCMIA slots ...

Sourabh

Laptoping
like taking that card & pushing it in a slot in desktop pc to connect to the wifi - that is a tata indicom wireless connection
I presume the card is a TATA Wireless card from what is written in the first post. If that is the case, it is not a WiFi card. If you have to share it on the desktop, you can use wifi or normal lan to share it on network. As goobimama pointed out, those adapters are very rare to be used directly on a desktop PC.

wifi cards for PCMCIA exist but almost all laptops purchased in the last 2 years would have some variant of 802.11 wifi inbuilt. So, i doubt that probability.

ronweasley

Broken In
here goes...

it is NOT a wifi card. i can say its something like the gprs/edge modem component of a mobile phone taken out and fixed onto a pcmcia/express card and the TATA/Reliance network connection data embedded on it. this connection uses the mobile phone gprs network.

geeks, correct me if i'm wrong anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom