how to schedule program termination?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mario_pant

In the zone
hi i use BSNL broadband and have scheduled the connect/disconnect using a batch file with the rasdial command.... i download using azureus.... but a thing is that i want the program to auto exit at 7:55 AM... actually when i sleep i just fire up azureus and leave it their with the downloads activated so whenver it connects (2:01AM in my case) it starts downloading....
the problem is that when the computer disconnects in the morning, its fine.. but sometimes someone starts using the net while i'm sleeping so azureus (in the background) just keeps on downloading and i get CHARGED!!!
so please tell me a way to auto-exit azureus.....
and there is another problem...... sometime i forget to switch on the computer at night so is their a way so that my comp. automatically starts (power on), Logs on to my user and starts azureus....
this would also save some power!

[lokesh]

Journeyman
How many of the same things do you do every day with your computer? With Macro Magic you can transform those tasks into a macro. Once created, you can run your macros instantly via HotKeys, MagicKeys™, Windows Shortcuts, have your macros respond when certain windows appear, or have them run after your computer has been idle for a specified amount of time. Use Macro Magic's extensive menu driven tool palette to launch and control programs, access and navigate web sites, automate data entry, access all of those buried menu options that you can never remember, and even schedule macros to run unattended using Windows Task Scheduler.

*www.iolo.com/mm/

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
No need of any external program !

If you know how to use batch files and task sheduler in the system .. then it's easy.

Make a batch file with following command
Code:
taskkill /IM "azureus.exe"
Replace azureus.exe by whatever is the name of exe file in Azureus.
Schedule this batch file for morning 7:55 everyday, using task sheduler which comes with Windows.
( or use any standard alarm software like Banshee Alarm to do so. )

Azureus and other torrent clients are made in such a way that if computer suddenly shuts down without warning, then the data transfer can be safely resumed later. So, dont worry about data loss.

-----
alibi

OP
mario_pant

mario_pant

In the zone
thankz alibi...... was looking for that command only and was wondering if a task kill command existed for DOS.....

Now... for the second problem......
is there any prog to start (when the PC is shut down) the PC and logon to my user automatically?

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
I really dont think any program can do that ...
because program will need OS to run .. which is not running when PC is off.

anyways ... but there is one way to log in one user everytime PC starts
Type "control userpasswords2" in Start -> Run
Uncheck "users must enter u/n and p/w to use this computer"
Key in the Username and Passw you want to log in every time PC starts.

So next time you start your computer .. that account will automatically be logged in.

Now, look for something which can just start your computer ! may be some hardware attachment :)

-----
alibi

godsownman

Padawan
alib_i said:
I really dont think any program can do that ...
because program will need OS to run .. which is not running when PC is off.

anyways ... but there is one way to log in one user everytime PC starts
Type "control userpasswords2" in Start -> Run
Uncheck "users must enter u/n and p/w to use this computer"
Key in the Username and Passw you want to log in every time PC starts.

So next time you start your computer .. that account will automatically be logged in.

Now, look for something which can just start your computer ! may be some hardware attachment :)

-----
alibi

Actually my friend makes of these hardware devices which are like timers in which you set the start time and off time. At the desired time the power is supplied to the device and when the time to switch of is reached is disconnects the power.

I personally use this for one of the appliances in my house NOT the computer because there is a problem.

The problem is WHO will press the POWER button on the CPU, anyway to bypass that.

Regards

OP
mario_pant

mario_pant

In the zone
hi there again....
can anyone using winXP PRO zip/rar the windows/system32/ taskkill.exe file?
Please send it to me as i'm using home edition and it is not there in it........ PLEASE!

whim_gen

Journeyman
mario_pant said:
thankz alibi...... was looking for that command only and was wondering if a task kill command existed for DOS.....

Now... for the second problem......
is there any prog to start (when the PC is shut down) the PC and logon to my user automatically?

Why do u need a program when u have the BIOS itself.
Atleast in mine,(Award Winning BIOS) under Power Management u have 2 options
Code:
1.Wake up by PCI device (or something similar) ---->Select [b]Enable[b] here
2.Wake up by Alarm----->Select Enable here.
Also,u need to set the right time here.
And for days,select 0 so that it boots at the time every day!

Try it in urs too.
I am sure it will have these options coz mine is a pretty old BIOS..

As for the Shutting Down thingy,use a software like AMP Power OFF ..Get it from *www.ampsoft.net

edit:
To automatically logon,use the method suggested by alibi

Hope it helps
Adios

Tech&ME

Banned
puja399 said:
I think the best solution is to buy an AIBO.

What is AIBO ? :?:

If you are talking about robots, then it is beyond the scope of this thread and also they are not available in India cheap.

sabman

Broken In
i was facing the same problem. I downloaded the azureus speed scheduler plugin. now all the transfers are automatically stopped after 8 am ;)

you can get the plugin from the official website

puja399

In the zone
Tech&ME said:
puja399 said:

If you are talking about robots, then it is beyond the scope of this thread and also they are not available in India cheap.
It was a joke :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW, why don't u use scheduling softwares like Automate? It also supports VBScripts, and u can sleep in peace while ur computer will connect, download and disconnect as per ur schedule.

Tech&ME

Banned
puja399 said:
Tech&ME said:
puja399 said:

It was a joke :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW, why don't u use scheduling softwares like Automate? It also supports VBScripts, and u can sleep in peace while ur computer will connect, download and disconnect as per ur schedule.

It was a joke ??? :?: :twisted: :twisted:

yrana2002

Ambassador of Buzz
Well, you can simply limit the time a program runs using Windows Schedular
In schedular,
Click Task->Properties->Settings->Set the timeout for the task running( 5:40 hours if trying for happy hours.)
Well, the rasdial command not working for me. Can anyone give me the code if i use bsnl broadband 256kbps & username pass is yash?(don't try to use it!!) :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom