How to put the computer to standby mode in Mandriva 2007?

Status
Not open for further replies.

unni

In the zone
Hi:),
I want to use Mandriva to automatically start downloading at 2 am and stop it at 8 am (I have DataOne connection). Till now, I have been using Windows because my UPS monitoring software would work only in Windows, and wasn't sure what sort of damage might happen due to a power failure when in Linux. But now, after all these days of using Linux, I feel I'm finally ready. I've learned how to schedule tasks using cron, how to automatically connect and disconnect etc. But one problem still remains - that is how to put the system on standby? What I used to do in Windows was to schedule tasks to start at 2 am, and then every night, I would put the system on standby before going to sleep. By 2 am, the computer would resume from standby, and do what it's supposed to do. I want to achieve the same in Linux. Hibernation works flawlessly in my system. Its the standby part, I can't find. Please help.

OP
unni

unni

In the zone
After some searching, I found two options:

1. echo -n "standby" > /sys/power/state

When I entered this from the terminal, the system went into standby, and resumed when I moved the mouse. But after resuming, the mouse didn't work till rebooting. Also, the system won't automatically wake even if some task scheduled via cron is started, when the system is in sleep.

2. apmsleep

I installed apmd to obtain this tool. But when I entered apmsleep, it said that the kernel must be compiled with apm and /dev/rtc support.

Any suggestions guys? Isn't standby supported well? Is there any other option?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom