how to modify partition on hp laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanyaldk

the end begins....
Hi guyes
I just brought new hp pavilion notebook. It has got 120 gb hard disk and there are 2 partitions in it, cdrive of 100 gb and recovery d drive. Now I want to modify the c drive partition. But when I asked about it to the customer care they told me that, if I modify any hard disc configuration then my xp i.e. windows licence will break. (is it really so???)
So any one please tell me what should I do? Coz anyhow I want the partition to install more than one OS.

pannaguma

Turn The Page
dont know about xp license. but norton partition magic 8 can create/modify partition size/number etc. note: demo version doesnt actually perform the function. only demonstrates.:D

but confirm about 1st part from someone else before partitioning.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
search search search.......search the forum. i think this article will help you:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51004

teknoPhobia

t3h g04t
The stuff about the licence is crap, use any good 3rd party disk utility like partitionmagic or acronis. The only prob is that you won't be able to use the recovery partition for recovery afterwards, so please ensure that you write out the recovery DVDs first. I am lucky in the sense that I bought a lappy with WinXP MCE and opted for the Vista upgrade, it cost me 700 bucks and I got the original OS Disk, so I just deleted the recovery partition, formatted and made a fresh install. If you have vista, it'll let you resize partitions natively.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
teknoPhobia said:
The stuff about the licence is crap, use any good 3rd party disk utility like partitionmagic or acronis. The only prob is that you won't be able to use the recovery partition for recovery afterwards, so please ensure that you write out the recovery DVDs first. I am lucky in the sense that I bought a lappy with WinXP MCE and opted for the Vista upgrade, it cost me 700 bucks and I got the original OS Disk, so I just deleted the recovery partition, formatted and made a fresh install. If you have vista, it'll let you resize partitions natively.
nope. nothing like that happens.

as long as you dont disturb the Recovery Partition ,there's no harm.

btw you CANNOT resize/modify Recovery Partition.

deepakg said:
How to write recovery partition on the Disk..?
HP provides a s/w for that purpose.

see this pic.
*img141.imageshack.us/img141/6580/hpyk9.th.jpg
there's a utility called HP PC Recovery CD-DVD creator, use it & follow the onscreen instruction.

piyushp_20

Geekologist
sanyaldk said:
Hi guyes
I just brought new hp pavilion notebook. It has got 120 gb hard disk and there are 2 partitions in it, cdrive of 100 gb and recovery d drive. Now I want to modify the c drive partition. But when I asked about it to the customer care they told me that, if I modify any hard disc configuration then my xp i.e. windows licence will break. (is it really so???)
So any one please tell me what should I do? Coz anyhow I want the partition to install more than one OS.

Ya buddy, i have suffered that, the XP lisence will really break. i came to know abt it when i tried to download IE7, it gave me an error that windows cannot be validated.
so i would recommend that u never ever modify the HDD.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
^^WHAT????

buddy thats not true.

i have HP desktop & have created 4 extra partition (excluding C: & recr. part.), i installed IE7, WMP11... no problems faced.

btw have you activated your XP?:))

piyushp_20

Geekologist
hey buddy
cant say abt the desktop pc but my XP lisence has been broken, then i downloaded a patch to validate the copy of windows and from then its working fine for me.

supernova

Mr. S Nova
One can always call the Microsoft helpline and get the windows activated again.

I once formatted (and changed the partitions) a friends dell laptop and reinstalled WinXp. to activate i just called the microsoft helpline and after few identity checks they gave me a key to validate WinXp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom