How to make two wifi routers talking to each other

niravjadwani

Amatur Modder
Hi.

I have encountered a networking issue and request help from the community.

Basically : I need to connect two routers via WIFI signal.

Detailed:

I have two locations, approx 120 meters away(Clear Line of sight). I have one IBall 150N ADSL Modem cum router for my primary network.

At second location, I have a CCTV Setup which I need to access via network.

Direct lan cable is not feasible, due to geographical issue and vehicular movement. Also, distance will be toomuch for lan cable.

So I decided to go the wireless way. But I am not sure how 2 routers will be able to connect via wifi.....

I have not purchased second router as of now, because I was unsure of the connection method. Any advises regarding same will also be appreciated....

Kindly help setup the network..

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I suggest getting internet connection separately for your CCTV setup.Then you can monitor it over internet from your primary network.Wirelessly connecting to remote CCTV setup will require a lot of configuration & most likely purchase of 2 new same model wifi devices.

OP
N

niravjadwani

Amatur Modder
I suggest getting internet connection separately for your CCTV setup.Then you can monitor it over internet from your primary network.Wirelessly connecting to remote CCTV setup will require a lot of configuration & most likely purchase of 2 new same model wifi devices.

That is not workable, as the location is remote and no option of broadband here.. Also, I plan to add a computer to location 2, at later stage.

Cant two routers talk to each other?? sorry for my ignorance but logically same should be possible without much fuss.. Please help.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
then buy at least 2 or maybe 3 wifi routers of same model(& company) with WDS feature assuming these would be enough to cover 120m range.Even then it wouldn't be "without much fuss" especially with not much prior knowledge of networking.I assumed that since you are using an adsl router there shouldn't be any issues in getting an adsl connection in a location 120m away.

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
Tenda FH330 High Power N300 Enhanced Wireless Router | eBay

This one claims to have range upto 300m.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
W8968 has 2 omnidirectional 5 dbi antennas which don't transmit beyond 30 meters. I don't think adding 2 more of them will increase the range 4 times regardless of the router.
BTW, 300M is the max transmission speed, not the range. A 300 meter diameter means you are looking at an entire block of a college campus. A cheap 2k router can't cover that distance.

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
The description says 'WiFi coverage is up to 300m' which may be exaggerating. The tenda web page says 300m2 which is more likely. The reviews are also not encouraging.

Tenda FH330 High Power N300 Enhanced Wireless Router with 4 Antennas - Buy Tenda FH330 High Power N300 Enhanced Wireless Router with 4 Antennas Online at Low Price in India - Amazon.in

Top Bottom