How to make a network

Status
Not open for further replies.

sourav

In the zone
I have a Win XP pro and I want to make a connect with another Win XP Pro PC in another room with Ethernet. please say me the necessary actions.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
just go to network connection> create a new netork connection.... & then just follow the onscreen intruction....

& i have a question tooo... that is is there any guide to make a cybercafe or small bussiness network with switch or hub..... with defarent os.....

thnx...

digen

Youngling
Dude souravfirst get a CAT5 Crossover cable of appropriate length.I hope you already have lan cards at your disposal.
For configuring the software settings part this link should help: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15477&highlight=

saurav_cheeta said:
i have a question tooo... that is is there any guide to make a cybercafe or small bussiness network with switch or hub..... with defarent os.....

thnx...
Which operating systems are we talking about here?Networking in a windows family environment is almost similar except a few changes.
Anyways its a matter of getting the software settings right.The hardware part is plugging the connections from each pc's to a free port on a hub/switch.[from each lan card to a hub/switch]
If you could provide a few more details,that would help.[/url]

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6509

for crossover cable follow digen, or get it from any computer vendors they'll charge you Rs40-60

after u get the cable done...
set as following...

make(just for remembering) one computer host(the faster) and other client
for host set
IP: 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask :255.255.255.0

for client:

IP :192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask :255.255.255.0
Default Gateway :192.168.1.1
DNS Server :192.168.1.1

happy networking

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
thnx digen for the reply....

Which operating systems are we talking about here?Networking in a windows family environment is almost similar except a few changes.
Anyways its a matter of getting the software settings right.The hardware part is plugging the connections from each pc's to a free port on a hub/switch.[from each lan card to a hub/switch]
If you could provide a few more details,that would help.

well its a small business network.... we have 8 PCs on the net work.... we have a P4 HT 3.2 with 768MB DDR400 80GB SATA... we will make this server.... we r planing to run winXP SP2 at first then we shall down the win2003 server SP1 (so for few weaks server will run on winXP SP2) for eval copy & will run that OS for 6month (if it performcne well then we will get a lience of it....)... other system (clients) have defrent config so they will run deferent OS like winXP SP2, win2K SP4 & win98se...... we do have planes adding few more PCs for in future..... ohh... as u know server will run the internet connection....

digen

Youngling
Ma pleasure.
Let me add a few suggestions to the above.It looks all well & good as of now.But if you consider scalability it would be well advisable to run a domain environment & not a workgroup environment which I presume you have now.This has as pros & cons.

First let me explain a bit,
Domain:A central repository kinda thing where all resources can be managed from a single central location using active directory,group policies & similar services.All user settings & policies can be implemented from a single location for the entire lan.Since you are planning for win2003 this option seems good w.r.t to scalability & future upgrades regarding addition of more machines to the present lan setup.

Workgroup:Also called a peer 2 peer networking.Each user shares his own resources.Security & policy settings have to made from per user perspective.This is hard work if there are more nodes in a network.But right now you should be fine.
Now since you should have got a fair idea of both implementing & administration is a a hassle if the person isnt well equipped with "domain implementation" knowledge.Where as for "workgroup" environment it is a walk in the park if the nodes are minimal.
Incase if you are interested & want to know more I can list out a few pointers here.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
tell me digen ... can i say the the way sify iway, or the banks works is a example of "domain implementation"... if it is then yes i am not guy who should try to setup this kind of network... at list for now with this little knowldge..... but also we dont need that one...

now about the simple "workgroup" environment... yes i am looking for that one... as in our comps of network will run their own program from their own HDD.... network will just provide them internet connection & access to each other file or the printer, CDrom etc.....

as i wrote earlyer in my post that
just go to network connection> create a new netork connection.... & then just follow the onscreen intruction....
.... now that was for 2 PCs in simple lan... now there is a option to set up a network that i am talking here.... befor i follow the onsrceen instruction of winXP SP2 i would like have a guide in my hand as if some thing scrue up i can follow the guide... as u wrote a gr8 post on *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15477&highlight=

thnx....

digen

Youngling
tell me digen ... can i say the the way sify iway, or the banks works is a example of "domain implementation"... if it is then yes i am not guy who should try to setup this kind of network... at list for now with this little knowldge..... but also we dont need that one...
Yes.Domain networking is mostly used in entreprises,govt,school/college networks.. the list is boundless.
The reason is quite obvious,managing & maintaining a large lan is somewhat easy from a central location.Although this isnt the only reason.Implementing policies,security,data backup also play a important part.
The reason I gave a overview of domain vs workgroup environment is because right now you should do fine,but later you may want/have to consider it.
Since you mentioned internet access,will all workstations get internet access?
Have you thought about how you are going to carry it out? Router,ICS,Proxy ?

Since now we are talking of the windows family,the process is nearly the same.Check that guide,also a guide by raven for sharing a internet connection.Shoot if you get stuck somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom