How to license more than 8 PCs ?

hdalive

Right off the assembly line
I 'm thinking of buying 8 pcs for a cafe , the cost for windows 7 is ridiculously high . Are there any options to buy multiple licenses at low cost ?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Even I think Ubuntu Linux would be a better option for cafes.

After visiting the Microsoft Volume Licensing Home Page couldn't even got a single idea of how much price of 8 licenses would cost. (And as a bonus, I had to goto IE, since Microsoft's website doesn't work in Chrome.)

gameranand

Living to Play
Yeah Ubuntu is best option for Cyber cafe. It also requires lesser resources(means faster computing) and any software of win have a alternative in Ubuntu although in Cafe he only need browser and with Ubuntu have can have any except IE which is worst of all browser.:D

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Guys Ubuntu is best & free.
but do the users will be ok working on Ubuntu if they use XP or Win7.....??
I mean in Cafe users not only just browse the net they also do document editing &
playing games (if cafe has the option)...

@hdalive: how much is your budget for OS?

khmadhu

change is constant!!
playing games in Linux might be difficult. but for rest of applications almost for all windows software there is an alternate software in linux. just need to google that's it.

@hdalive you can first try installing ubuntu. as that's the best option. depending on the user feedback.. you can try to improve the installed softwares , because linux is heavily customizable.. if not you can go for windows..

moreover these days ubuntu updates are very fast, and you can download all the updates to one PC repository and push them to rest of the PC's, thus saving bandwidth :)

Last edited:

gameranand

Living to Play
Zangestu said:
but do the users will be ok working on Ubuntu if they use XP or Win7.....??
Why the hell not after all all they have to do is double click the browser's icon to surf INTERNET.
Zangestu said:
I mean in Cafe users not only just browse the net they also do document editing &
playing games (if cafe has the option)...
For documents there is Libre Office and there are plenty of games for Linux AFAIK. Also There are online games available like Urban Terror and many more. I don't think anyone would have any problem with this OS.
khmadhu said:
playing games in Linux might be difficult. but for rest of applications almost for all windows software there is an alternate software in linux. just need to google that's it.
And how many modern games can be played on a Cafe's PC ??? For old games he can use wine or games available for Linux.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
^^buddy the Games I see people playing in Cafe are Counter Strike,NFS,GTA San Adreas
or COD

those who dont know ubuntu will obviously ask for XP or Windows 7

gameranand

Living to Play
Zangestu said:
or he can buy windows XP
Lot of security issues.

Zangestu said:
^^buddy the Games I see people playing in Cafe are Counter Strike,NFS,GTA San Adreas
or COD
Like I said CS can be replaced with Urban Terror and others also have replacement and man he is going to run a cafe not a game parlor after all.

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
If u want Windows7 u can get a volume license for 8 PCs from here
Microsoft Volume Licensing Home Page
but i think 8 License for 7Pro will cost around 70K so i also think Ubuntu is a better Option for gaming u can invest those 70K in Consoles

OP
H

hdalive

Right off the assembly line
Ubuntu looks fine for internet cafes .
Internet PC =8
gaming PC =8
Consoles XBOX= 8
PS3 =1 :p

Paying around 70k just to license :???:

I think even if i use windows XP SP3 for games systems,price looks high .

I have heard or seen somewhere 5 PC license ,dont know for sure .

desai_amogh

In the zone
buy preloaded OEM machines from Zenith or HCL .. u get 3 year onsite warrenty too.. and machines wont cost you more than 25k with preloaded win 7 (C2D with 2 gb ram)

sakumar79

Technomancer
Any idea about possible usage of one Windows Server license with others being sort of thin clients? I believe Windows CE is the OS for them which are relatively cheaper, but I am not sure of the exact pricing

Arun

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
^^Boss 1 single Licence would u believe Windows Server Small Business=50K
BTW thin clients can run on win7/xp host OS no os License is required for guest

also windows CE is avaiable only for OEM it is not available in retail so it will only come with the equipment u purchase

sakumar79

Technomancer
^^^ Sorry... Did not know that... If so, as you mentioned, Thin clients without OS and one machine with & or XP should do... And software like Deep freeze should help maintain the system... I believe there are also software specifically for Kiosks... Dont know much about them though (pricing, utility, etc)...

Arun

Top Bottom