How to install XP on Dell Studio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamall

Right off the assembly line
I recently brought a Dell Studio 15 laptop. When I tried to install Xp,
After the 1st step after loading the driver files, but before the drive end user agreement and the drive selection that comes in the blue screen, a BSOD appears.
In BSOD, the error shown is at acpi.sys

But I have already wiped the hard disk clean using the partition manager in the linux mint live cd.

Is there a problem if I try to install a 32 bit XP on the 64bit system. Thats wat i tried till now.

I recently brought a Dell Studio 15 laptop. When I tried to install Xp,
After the 1st step after loading the driver files, but before the drive end user agreement and the drive selection that comes in the blue screen, a BSOD appears.
In BSOD, the error shown is at acpi.sys

But I have already wiped the hard disk clean using the partition manager in the linux mint live cd.

Is there a problem if I try to install a 32 bit XP on the 64bit system. Thats wat i tried till now.

I assume it came with vista or win7, go to bios and change hdd properties, it will get installed, as there partition table is set for vista.

sandeepk

Journeyman
First go to BIOS. Then search for setting which says SATA Mode. It has to be AHCI currently, select IDE instead. Save the settings and reboot. Now install should go on without any problem.

a_to_z123

asia://india/ka/bangalore
What sandeepk has said is true but you'll have a lower performing HDD as it emulates IDE mode.

If you want full performance from your HDd you must run ur computer in AHCI mode.

But unfortunately XP doesn't have inbuilt drivers for AHCI and these drivers need to be installed at the very beginning of your installation through afloppy drive.
As today's computers don't have one, so you'll need an integrated XP setup CD with AHCI drivers.

For that you'll need nlite and you must be a legal owner of XP.
*www.nliteos.com/download.html

Read this for further assistance:-
*www.msfn.org/board/topic/107504-integration-of-intels-sata-ahci-and-raid-drivers/

You'll find links to the drivers, as well as a detailed guide here!

OP
I

iamall

Thanks. But there is no IDE option in the bios. only AHCI and sata.

I got an advise from my friend to try using virtualization software, virtualbox from sun.I need XP only to run some old DOS programmes like the turbo C compiler. I'm a programming student.

a_to_z123

Yeah the SATA mode is what I was talking about. It emulates the old IDE mode. You need drivers for that...

Its OK if you want to use VMWare. But it'll also take a lil bit of understanding. Configuring a virtual machine is not that easy as it sounds!

Best of luck with it! :)

navraj

Broken In
Buddy, then do not install the XP as such. I hope that you have Windows 7. Just go for the "Windows XP Mode". It is free and is provided by Microsoft itself. Really good and easy to use. You can even run the programs that you have installed in the Windows XP Mode from the Windows 7 itself. All you need is Microsoft Virtual PC and a download of the "Windows XP Mode".

Hope it helps....

a_to_z123

But Windows XP mode is available only in Win7 Professional and above versions and I'm sure he wouldn't have got any of those versions with his lappy...

You can try Parallels Desktop or VMWare for 15 days and give virtual machines a go :)

Then tell us your experience. Its always so much fun running VMs...

OP
I

iamall

thanks. i tried the virtual box from sun. but it isn't working properly. but i will try out other virtualization softwares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom