how to install windows application in Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because Linux doesn't exactly have great alternatives for everything. Its because of Wine that many people use alot of Win products on Linux anyway and if it weren't for it there wouldn't be other products like Cedega or Crossover .

:eek:I don't feel so

beginners can check out

*www.linuxappfinder.com/alternatives
*www.linux.ie/newusers/alternatives.php

OP
B

bipshee1234

Broken In
Time syncronisation with domai clint

Hi,
I have one Domain controlar having windows 2003 server standerd edition with R2. I want to syncronis the clients time with our domain server time. That means whenever user loged into the client system, clock of client get syncronised with the clock of domain server???? how it is posible??? can you guide me to resolve this issue

Re: Time syncronisation with domai clint

Hi,
I have one Domain controlar having windows 2003 server standerd edition with R2. I want to syncronis the clients time with our domain server time. That means whenever user loged into the client system, clock of client get syncronised with the clock of domain server???? how it is posible??? can you guide me to resolve this issue
wrong section.
no windows stuff allowed here.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
krazy kya ? Cedga is almost as costly as windows, and along with it there are all those issues and crashes along with performance drop due to increased work of translating directx to opengl. Its much better to get yourself a cheap windows version, strip it naked and remove everything thats unwanted including internet explorer and wmp11 (and the file browser if you are comfortable with command prompt navigation) and tweak it like hell and use it as a gaming only OS.

you could always compile it from cvs.Only thing u wont get is the Point2Play gui i think

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
I don't feel so

beginners can check out

*www.linuxappfinder.com/alternatives
*www.linux.ie/newusers/alternatives.php

Just cause you don't feel so doesn't mean its not true. There quite a few alternatives making strides to replace / substitute other Win programs but there are some which Programs which you just cant. Read this months editorial you will get a better picture at what I'm trying to convey.

its still not worth it if you want to run games which squeeze your GPU and are directx only.

*appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=4596&iTestingId=190

This is an example of Linux running a game in Wine which would make old systems cry. Nonetheless it does run with some drawbacks like a bit of lag and bugs. However fi you are a hardcore Gamer who prefers games like Crysis with 80+ frames . You should not be on Linux unless its a game natively built for it. Theres quite a few Linux servers out there in the gaming field also.

OP
B

bipshee1234

Broken In
See, I am software engineer I had design a software which is working on windows. but some of my clients are not using windows. they are using linux. can it be posible that the windows based application can run on Linux...
can u help me to resolve this issue....

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
See, I am software engineer I had design a software which is working on windows. but some of my clients are not using windows. they are using linux. can it be posible that the windows based application can run on Linux...

You might want to mention what kind of application and developed in what Language etc.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
What toolkit are u using? What language? The program you have designed does it have Windows based components? Are Using ,NET or similar Microsoft product.
If you are using .NET or likewise it is highly improbable that it will run in Linux and even if it will, yours users would not enjoy to run it in Linux.
If you want a cross-platform toolkit use Qt.

What toolkit are u using? What language? The program you have designed does it have Windows based components? Are Using ,NET or similar Microsoft product.
If you are using .NET or likewise it is highly improbable that it will run in Linux and even if it will, yours users would not enjoy to run it in Linux.
If you want a cross-platform toolkit use Qt.
.net also runs on linux if you export it via the mono project.

But yes, QT is the best option for such projects because it runs on three main enterprise platform - Windows, Linux and Macintosh.(sorry Solaris, HP-UX and BSD. You guys are too unimportant to qualify he QT compatibility :p)

j_h

Banned
if you are a gamer then stick to windows, linux is not for gamers:)
that is absolutely true. the number and varieties of games for windows is too huge. i suggest you dual windows and linux using seperate partitions. also you can make the windows partition fat (or even ntfs nowadays) so that you can access it from within linux for a quick listen to your favorite song :)

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
that is absolutely true. the number and varieties of games for windows is too huge. i suggest you dual windows and linux using seperate partitions. also you can make the windows partition fat (or even ntfs nowadays) so that you can access it from within linux for a quick listen to your favorite song :)

Not true entirely. Games run pretty well in WINE too. It has a long list of Platinum and Gold rated games (read: very well playable in WINE) and a gamer can enjoy playing games in Linux too.

chetan5

Right off the assembly line
hello guys
i'am new on linux & i have buy a dedicated server which comes with centos 5.3 & a cpanel is installed under it. Now i want to run windows programe in my dedicated server but the problem is that the server is comes with linux OS. I know that i can install windows programe using wine but donno how to install wine in my server root & which wine version i need to downlaod first. I'am totaly new on linux so tell me the procedure from starting.
Thanx

sakumar79

Technomancer
Does Wine require windows license? I seem to recall vaguely that earlier, wine would require a windows license to legally run windows software.

Arun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom