How to Get Rid Of DLLHOST.exe

7shivam9

Broken In
There is something strange going on in my PC since I have reinstalled it .
a dllhost.exe process is automatically starting and its Consuming hell hot of memory.
Some times Whenever PC lags I close it instantly ..
but sometimes When im watching movie PC goes Blackscreen and dosent respond

Here is the Screenshot of that Process :

dllhost.JPG
After closing it .. it starts again in 5mins.

Please Help to get permanently RID of it, coz sometimes it starts while gaming too :(
Im using Windows7 x64 bit,4gb ram,intel i3 .. |No anti-virus programs- I hate them :evil: |

prehistoricgamer

Q.C Passed. Tested. OK
Its a virus. :) I had this problem when I used to launch Warcraft. Google for the solutions. I had to use a couple of AV softwares to remove it.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
dllhost is not actually a virus. it is an operating system process. but viruses can infect dllhost very easily. also 2gb ram consumption of dllhost is something to worry about. do you have any installers running in the background? scan with a good antivirus such as bitdefender. dllhost will be executed when you try install something. do you have windows update enabled?
is it download anything?

OP
7shivam9

7shivam9

Broken In
Nope, Im a 2g user so i have Disabled update .. and nothing else was there. And not only 2gb.. this Goes to 3+ sometimes.
Okay, ill get some anti-virus :| and hope i will get rid of it :)
Thank you every1 for your replies.. Mod's can close this thread now :wink:

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
let thread be alive until you find a solution and dont forget to infor m us if you succeeded in that.
also more than one dllhost.exe can be run at a time. first check with a good antivirus. i suggest bitdefender rescue disk.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
let thread be alive until you find a solution and dont forget to infor m us if you succeeded in that.
also more than one dllhost.exe can be run at a time. first check with a good antivirus. i suggest bitdefender rescue disk.

+1 to BD's Rescue Disk.

*goes to task manager*
*searches for DLLHOST.exe*
*does not find any dllhost.exe*
*relieved*
Oh well,Nothing to do here

WTH!! dllhost.exe must be there or hidden. Force closing dllhost.exe may cause a system crash.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
I myself do not have dllhost.exe; I have only dwm.exe. I have a lot of svchost.exes, though.

it will come alive when you try to install something. since it is a system process, closing manually is not advised.it can cause problems

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
dllhost.exe is a legitimate windows file & yes it can consume 1gb ram & more when it hangs displaying thumbnails of some weird/incorrectly encoded video files.i am guessing you have some such video files.on my system i have identified 2 such video files whose thumbnails cause explorer to process indefinitely(green explorer address bar) & cause dllhost.exe to continuously use ram & cpu usage(~50%).as soon as you open a folder with video files it will start if you have thumbnails option enabled.i suggest that after restarting computer you open folders containing video files one by one & see which folder results in indefinite/continuous processing(green explorer address bar) when creating thumbnails.

OP
7shivam9

7shivam9

Broken In
I Downloaded Avast Pro 2014 but After running it it shows nothing ..and no response from it.

dllhost.exe is a legitimate windows file & yes it can consume 1gb ram & more when it hangs displaying thumbnails of some weird/incorrectly encoded video files.i am guessing you have some such video files.on my system i have identified 2 such video files whose thumbnails cause explorer to process indefinitely(green explorer address bar) & cause dllhost.exe to continuously use ram & cpu usage(~50%).as soon as you open a folder with video files it will start if you have thumbnails option enabled.i suggest that after restarting computer you open folders containing video files one by one & see which folder results in indefinite/continuous processing(green explorer address bar) when creating thumbnails.

Omg :eek: never seen more Perfect reply than this ...

Yah I found that folder its Downloads>Videos (Folder where IDM Saves videos)
Folder.jpg

Any Solutions ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
what i did was create a new folder within videos folder & moved all possible problem video files(those whose thumbnails were not generated) into that folder.after that i ended dllhost.exe close all folders & then again open that video folder which now has possible problem files inside another folder.if all files successfully show thumbnails this time then it confirms that one or more problem files inside the newly created folder are causing the issue.now you can disable the thumbnails inside the newly created folder by right clicking & selecting new folder properties-->customize tab & selecting optimize option as documents.once you do that files inside this new folder will show in list view.you can then move back files one by one out of new folder & back to video folder to see which file/files are causing this issue because if file is alright then as soon as you move it back to videos folder its thumbnail will be generated else the green processing bar will keep going.

Top Bottom