How to Get job at Google?

I'm currently pursuing my B.tech in Computer Science and Engineering (unfortunately from tier 3 college, I suck at PCM).
I want to work at Google. As you know Google won't come at Campus placement at my college, So I need to apply Off campus.

1). How I can apply for Google?
2). And what minimum CGPA/GPA required for Google?

I'm currently in 2nd year and i'll graduate in year 2017.
And I already learnt C and C++.
And learning Java right now.
Thinking about learning Android App programing and JSP.

I love coding and develop new things.
3). What more I should learn, that will help me to get placed at Google.

And If anyone at TDF is working at Google or ever applied for Google, That would be great help

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
1. Unfortunately they accept only B.E. degrees. Does your University gives that Degree or B.Tech?

2. They mostly focus on Algorithms, so focus on that. They will give you real life problem and ask you to solve with the best possible algo.

3. Coding language preference doesn't matter much but they mainly focus on Javascript, Python and C. But as I said in #2, language doesn't matter as long as you can implement the algo.

You love Android programming and that's why you want to go in Google? I'm not demoralizing you, but both are different approach.

If you don't like PCM, you'll generally not like Algos. And yeah I'm not taking about basic ones that are taught in Data Structure in colleges.

So if you want to target google, learn Algo's and their usage. Focus on AI algo's specially.

OP
abhigeek
Thanks for reply. @krishnandu.sarkar
1. Unfortunately they accept only B.E. degrees. Does your University gives that Degree or B.Tech?
I heard many cases of B.tech students getting placed at Google India (Not sure though)
2. They mostly focus on Algorithms, so focus on that. They will give you real life problem and ask you to solve with the best possible algo.
I know they focus on problem solving methods
Coding language preference doesn't matter much but they mainly focus on Javascript, Python and C. But as I said in #2, language doesn't matter as long as you can implement the algo.
I also know that but Thanks Anyway.:wink:
You love Android programming and that's why you want to go in Google? I'm not demoralizing you, but both are different approach.
I don't love Android programming specifically, I love to create new things and make life better for people.
If you don't like PCM, you'll generally not like Algos. And yeah I'm not taking about basic ones that are taught in Data Structure in colleges.
I don't like PCM , It doesn't mean I don't like Alogs, both are different things
So if you want to target google, learn Algo's and their usage. Focus on AI algo's specially.
Thanks, I will also focus on AI alogs
And do you have any idea about CGPA requirement?

ritvij

rated R
sorry for the bump, but I am pretty interested as well. On a sad note, my grades may never go upto the mark (teachers hate me).
how can I apply? i am currently in my 3rd year and technically, I can easily implement algorithms and all.
Also, can anyone please tell my a starting point for android app development? I tried many videos but to no avail!

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
No idea about CGPA. Sorry bro,

The only thing that I know about getting a job at google means Algos and only Algos.

Anyway, this cut off marks system is specially in India. I don't think this things are there in US Based Companies like Microsoft, Google, Amazon etc.

ritvij

rated R

The only thing that I know about getting a job at google means Algos and only Algos.

Anyway, this cut off marks system is specially in India. I don't think this things are there in US Based Companies like Microsoft, Google, Amazon etc.

How do we apply? and because our college is stupid enough to count marks for biology as well (yeah, bio too) my cgpa will hover around 8.x (where x<0.000001) by the end of my graduation

OP
abhigeek

There number of applicants applying for Google, I'm sure there would be some cerita to sort out applications.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
How do we apply? and because our college is stupid enough to count marks for biology as well (yeah, bio too) my cgpa will hover around 8.x (where x<0.000001) by the end of my graduation

There number of applicants applying for Google, I'm sure there would be some cerita to sort out applications.

May be. Not sure though. You guys can check on Google Career site. May be it's only for experienced candidates. You can check whether there are anything for freshers.

Recently I read a blog of IITan about his interview in Google and getting job. You can search on internet.

Also, I'm not sure, but I think the chance is possibly lower for India if you are from general type Engg. college. They prefer to take candidates from IIT, NIT etc. [NOTE : Don't take my words for sure. It's just rumors that I have heard. Coz once I tried for Google too :p]

Take a look at *www.google.co.in/intl/en/about/careers/locations/#tab=asia-pacific

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
From what I have gathered:
1)Top companies usually have a GPA requirement of min 3.5(out of 4).
2)They will check your github account. This step is very important.
3)Involvement in projects helps.
4)Strong background in programming helps.
5)Some companies check if the candidate is involved in some local programming society or something...(eg. part of a linux coding group)[I don't have much technical knowledge about this]
6)Interview!!!(Get ready for: 1)Introduce Yourself. 2)Where do you see yourself in 5 years?)
7)In some very rare cases, they may check your handwriting.
8)You won't be getting a good job without an internship in your Junior(3rd) or Senior Year(4th).
9)ECs help immensely, especially leadership qualities.
10)Most importantly, Google does not care about the college one attends(This statement was originally said with US colleges in mind). Google is more concerned about the individual's ability and what he will be able to bring to their table. According to them, the willingness to learn and achieve triumphs brand name.

OP
abhigeek
[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION] so what about CGPA out 10 ...
9.5 maybe?

So, I should start contributing to Github,
Just basic knowledge of C and C++, will help in github projects?

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
From what I have gathered:
1)Top companies usually have a GPA requirement of min 3.5(out of 4).
2)They will check your github account. This step is very important.
3)Involvement in projects helps.
4)Strong background in programming helps.
5)Some companies check if the candidate is involved in some local programming society or something...(eg. part of a linux coding group)[I don't have much technical knowledge about this]
6)Interview!!!(Get ready for: 1)Introduce Yourself. 2)Where do you see yourself in 5 years?)
7)In some very rare cases, they may check your handwriting.
8)You won't be getting a good job without an internship in your Junior(3rd) or Senior Year(4th).
9)ECs help immensely, especially leadership qualities.
10)Most importantly, Google does not care about the college one attends(This statement was originally said with US colleges in mind). Google is more concerned about the individual's ability and what he will be able to bring to their table. According to them, the willingness to learn and achieve triumphs brand name.

Right. Everything depends on location.

In India, it's totally different kind of story. And if you check the link I have given, you will see there are not much Developer kinda jobs available. Mostly Operations and Support.

The points that mentioned by you varies from company to company.

If you mean CTS, TCS, Accenture, Infosys, Wipro, Capgemini, HCL etc. (the so called Indian top IT Companies), they don't look anything except the 1st one.

In companies like Dell, they may check few things extra.

So everything depends on what you are targeting at.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION] so what about CGPA out 10 ...
9.5 maybe?

So, I should start contributing to Github,
Just basic knowledge of C and C++, will help in github projects?

No idea about CPGA.....

I have no idea what Github even is as I am just a high school student. Ask me next year. :p

- - - Updated - - -

In India, it's totally different kind of story. And if you check the link I have given, you will see there are not much Developer kinda jobs available. Mostly Operations and Support.

If you mean CTS, TCS, Accenture, Infosys, Wipro, Capgemini, HCL etc. (the so called Indian top IT Companies), they don't look anything except the 1st one.

By top companies I mean Nvidia, Intel etc.
PS:I am targeting these 2 specifically.

OP
abhigeek

I don't want to go in these Indian (3rd tier) IT companies.
I want to make myself efficient in college (as my social life is s**t) to bag job at Google. As I'm already far behind in race, thanks to my college.
And I'm targeting developer field.

Top Bottom