HOW TO CONNECT THE HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aseem Nasnodkar

In the zone
==========================
HOW TO CONNECT THE HDD
==========================

Friends let me first confess - I know nuts of hardware. So please bare with me!

I have 2 HDD's. One the Primary Master with XP and the 2nd Secondary Slave(or somethin' like that) with 98 pre-installed. One fine day my 2nd HDD the old one was making a lot of noise. And on restarting the system the computer did not boot from any of the HDD's. So I opened it up. But could not figure out what was the fault so I just touched a few busses and restarted the system. Only to reaslise that my floppy disks failed and then the comp booted in-through the 2nd HDD with 98.

Oops! And yes it did not even work well. Every 5 minutes it gives an error. That it cannot wite to C: . So now nothing is working.
Is my floppy drive not working because of my primary master HDD not connected?

What to do Please HELP!!!

--------------------------
WHAT I WANT TO DO:
--------------------------

# Remove my 2nd HDD completely.
# Attach only 1st HDD to the system.
# Work-out my Floppy drive.

---------------------------------------
MY COMPUTER ARCHITECHTURE:
---------------------------------------

# There is one bus connected to my Motherboard on HDD connection port CN1. Which at halfway is connected to the 2nd HDD and the OTHER END FREE.

# There is NO BUS CONNECTION to my new and 1st HDD except the power connection.

# My combo drive is connected to the mother board HDD connection port CN2.

# All connections of my floppy drive look to be proper.

How should I do the connections now? Please tell me in detail. Are there any jumper settings. Well i don't even know what are jumpers. So please tell me in detail. Its urgent. All my data is on the 1st HDD.

I don't want to land up paying my engineer and yet knowing Nuts!!!

ASEEM NASNODKAR

:)-{)

:oops:

aadipa

Padawan
was ur xp working?

then u can just remove data cable from 2nd HDD and connect it to 1st HDD. U can connect 1st HDD to any connection on data cable.
then remove the power cable from ur 2nd HDD.

about floppy,, cann't say much with what u described.

nothing to do with jumpers unless u r connecting more than 1 devices to ur IDE cables. since ur combo drive and 1st HDD will be on different cables don't even look for jumpers.

PS: just tell if ur FDD light is always on or what?

theraven

Technomancer
ur hdd is connected to what is called IDE 0 ... and ur cd rom / combo is on what is called IDE 1 ..
floppy has a different connector on the mobo so theres no confusion there
so lets take it step by step ...
on each and any hdd ... u will see 3 things in the back ...
1) place for the power connector
2) place for what is called the IDE ( data ) cable .. thats the big flat wire that goes in the hdd
3) 3 pairs of pins .. which u need to short with a "jumper" which is a piece of plastic shortin a pair of those pins
now since u wanna connect the first new hdd .. make sure this "jumper" is in the place which makes ur drive a master drive
this will be on the back of ur hdd itself ... so u neednt worry which setting is right or wrong
now once uve made sure this is set on master
connect the power cable
and connect the "free" end of that IDE cable on IDE 0 ... ( where ur second drive is connected )
again make sure this is the "END" not the half way point of the cable
this should take care of ur hdd problem
o and to remove the 2nd hdd just disconnect all cables ( power and IDE ) from it
as for ur floppy dirve ... hmmmmm ... welll this could be a problem ... it should work fine .. unless u took out all the cables and then reinserted them ...cuz it has to go in a particular way
make sure the red strip on the floppy cable is on the inner side of the cabinet
as in ... ull have ur power cable on one side ... the red strip should face the other side .. so if ur power cable is on the right the way i see it ... then the red strip should face the left side ..

OP
A

Aseem Nasnodkar

In the zone
Thanx!!!

Thanx yaars!

My PC now is working!
I can't tell myself this! :p

Well i removed mt 2nd HDD connected the halfway of the cable to the 1st HDD and also my floppy drive started working. Actually I had just removed the power cable.

But all is fine now. Thanx again!

Well only if anybody could tell me the proper procedure of attaching a 2nd HDD to the system, it would be gr8! All abt jumpers, etc.

But 4 now, let me say it again. THANX A MILLION!

theraven

Technomancer
for the second hdd again check the back of the hdd
the jumper settings will be written on it .. its usually diff for diff companies or diff makes
so set the jumper accordingly
connect the half way thru data cable on ide0 .. and the power cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom