How to clean my PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajayritik

Technomancer
I know this may sound as a weird question but I just wanted to check with you all about how to clean my PC. The keyboard, Cabinet, Monitor, Mouse and other things. I have never cleaned the Cabinet except for wiping it using a cloth . I read somewhere that we can use a blower to clean the Cabinet. Will using the air blower harm the motherboard, RAM etc. One more thing I observed was my Microsoft keyboard that I purchased one year back doesnt have the keys as soft as it was when I purchased it. Is there something that I can do to fix this problem?

VarDOS

15.0 GHz
Visit This : *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89384

wipe the outer side of the cabinet with a dry cloth. do not use a wet cloth as it may damage some parts like dvd writer. use a big brush to clean the inside of the cabinet. use the brush gently to clean the motherboard and some of the other parts. make sure the connections inside the cabinet do not get loose. for the keyboard, make it upside down and gently tap it for the dust to fall out of it. if it doesn't help, use a small needle to clean the dust in-between the keys. if this too doesn't help, u will have to remove each of the keys of the keyboard one by one using a thing like a screwdriver- then clean the keyboard and place the keys back in. but if you do this, u first have to remember where which key is - a better way is to click a few photographs of the keyboard before removing the keys.

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
You can use a blower as long as it doesnt blow hot air.
As for your keyboard, take it apart and clean it, put it back carefully. You might waste a few keyboards on the first tries but you'll get good at it, good enough to take apart any KB, clean it and put it back to working condition.

If you cant, pry apart all keys using a screwdriver and clean that place atleast.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
u could use CCleaner 2.0 and above
Dude looks like you read the title and just replied blindly without checking the body of the thread!

You can use a blower as long as it doesnt blow hot air.
As for your keyboard, take it apart and clean it, put it back carefully. You might waste a few keyboards on the first tries but you'll get good at it, good enough to take apart any KB, clean it and put it back to working condition.

If you cant, pry apart all keys using a screwdriver and clean that place atleast.

Dude I feel not so comfortable taking apart all the keys from the keyboard. Are you sure I'm not going to damage any of the keys in the process. And what do you mean by telling that I will waste a few keyboards on the first tries. You want me to purchase a new keyboard every time I clean it?

Last edited:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I used to clean keyboards like that............but mine is TVS Gold.........each key can be separated......no idea about ur kbd....if its possible like dheraj says, do it, no probs just do remember toput it back properly:-D

HydraHeaded

Broken In
Hey, what about static? I've heard you got to wear some static belt on the wrist or something before you touch the computer's inner parts.

I opened my CPU, because the processor fan speed has increased - it keeps going up and coming down like its under heavy load even though there is no software running (apart from the usual ones, whose usage I can see in Task Manager). I can see a lot dust on it, but I don't know how to remove the dust, apart from dusting it a bit. Maybe removing the fan and then cleaning it would be better, but I tried pulling it, and it won't come out, there are no clamps that I can see, and I'm afraid I'll break it. The motherboard is D102GGC2, processor is P 4 3.0 Ghz.

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
Dude I feel not so comfortable taking apart all the keys from the keyboard. Are you sure I'm not going to damage any of the keys in the process. And what do you mean by telling that I will waste a few keyboards on the first tries. You want me to purchase a new keyboard every time I clean it?

You can take them apart by a screwdriver - that wont cause any damages at all, assuming you take a photo of the keyboard to make sure which key goes where.

Only if you open it fully(unscrew and all) you have to put it back carefully, making sure the transparent circuit plates align inside. I wasted 2 KBs a loooong time ago since I couldnt put them properly, but kept them for future use. Then I became expert in cleaning keyboard, and fixed both the old KBs :D Now they work purrfectly.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
for keyboard - get brush (available at almost all PC peripheral shops)
for cabinet - you can use vaccum cleaner, just keep it a bit far & DONT FORGEt to hold/tape the fans when using Vaccum Cleaner.

Cool Joe

The Black Waltz
Visit *www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial118.html

This is a must read tutorial. It's easy to understand, and there's no need to worry about anything, because everything is explained. There are images as well, so the reading isn't boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom