how to capture a frame from a video in WMP10

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeeNeeYes

powerd ↻ pramod
how to capture a frame from a video in Windows Media Player wmplayer11 or wmp10

how to capture a frame from a video in Windows Media Player wmplayer11 or wmp10

If you want to capture a scene from a video...
like you want to snag a dance step from the your favourite music video
or you want to have a photo of your favourite actor/actress in your fav movie
but then you can't Printscreen the video in windows media player because you only get a black screen
now you have a great solution to your problem...

WORKS ONLY IN WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER (latest version or WMP 9+)

SIMPLE SOLUTION : Pause Video & Press CTRL + I

just do it & thats it... isnt it so simple!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------

DETAILED EXPLANATION:
METHOD 1
Take still images of video in Windows Media Player 8/9/10/11

If you try to take a screenshot of Windows Media player while it is playing back a video clip, the blank image is what is most likely to come back. This is because of the techniques the computer is using to put the video on the screen. Under Windows Media Player 9 and 10 a screen shot feature is built in for MPEG and MPEG2 content which can be used by just pressing
Ctrl + i together during playback.​

In WMP, at least since version 9, you can use Ctrl-I (EYE) to capture a frame, either when playing or when paused for greater accuracy. It brings up a Save Captured Image dialog which handily defaults to a jpeg. This works only if the video you are watching is using a Microsoft supported movie file.

ALTERNATE METHOD 2
The other method which is more useful if you want shots of the whole screen and Media Plater UI is to turn down the video acceleration used to create the picture. This hurts the performance of the video but as we want a still shot that is not important.

Don't use Overlay

1. Open your Window Media Player and click Options on the Tools menu.
2. On the Performance tab, click on the Advanced... button.
3. Uncheck Use overlays from DVD video, click OK and restart the player.

Now you can capture images from any movies played in Windows Media Player using Print Screen (PrintScrn) key (or ALT + PrintScrn key). Once copied, the image can be pasted into Microsoft Paint (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Paint) or other image editor. If you have problems taking screenshots from a playing movie try to pause it first, then "print" the image.

ALTERNATE METHOD 3
Fix blank captures by turning off hardware acceleration. You can either disable hardware acceleration in the application that is playing the video, or disable hardware acceleration system wide.

To disable graphics hardware acceleration globally for all applications in Windows XP or Windows 2000, Select
Control Panel - Display - Properties - Settings - Advanced - Troubleshooting and slide the Hardware Acceleration slider from Full to None.

For Windows 98 or NT systems, the path is slightly different
Control Panel - System - Performance - Graphics - Advanced settings.
Now hit the OK button at the bottom of the window. This disables all accelerations. You may need to restart the machine for the change to take effect.

To turn Off Hardware Acceleration in Your Video Player Only:

In Windows Media Player:
1. In Media Player 7 or later, select Tools > Options > Performance tab. In Media Player v.6.4 and earlier, select View > Options > Playback.
2. Click and drag the Hardware Acceleration slider to the left, changing the setting from Full to None.

In Media Player if you go to tools, select options and then click on the performance tab. On the performance page (shown above) there will be a slider labled video acceleration. Reduce the acceleration to none, click ok and then close down media player. Next open the file you want to take a still from, press ALT and the PrintScrn key to copy an image of media player to the clipboard. Next open Microsoft Paint program (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Paint) or another image editing program, once the program has started goto Edit and Select Paste​

And this is the end result, you can use Paint or another image editing program to cut the picture out or edit it to how you want. If you have finished taking still remember to go back to the performance tab in Media Player options and press the restore defaults button to put your machine back to how it was before we started.​

Last edited:

bmnuser

Right off the assembly line
cool amazing fantastic superb awesome great fabulous rocking interesting

i have run out of words to thank you for this useful bit of information which I am sure no one knows... its not even given on M$ website

thanks dude... you made my life so much easier... repping you!!!! but must spread it around!

bugmenot

Broken In
great trick really useful
and damn helpful

people should appreciate rather than laughing their ass off
be humble

n2casey

Super Hero - Super Powers
Was knowing Method 2 & 3 but not 1.
Thx for telling, Trying to repu u but I have to spread it to others b4 giving u.
Anyway nice tute, keep it up.

OP
GeeNeeYes

GeeNeeYes

powerd ↻ pramod
n2casey said:
Was knowing Method 2 & 3 but not 1.
Thx for telling, Trying to repu u but I have to spread it to others b4 giving u.
Anyway nice tute, keep it up.
thanks so much dude
and never mind the reputation points, I am just happy to be of some help to you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom