How many SSD and HDD slots are available in Alienware 17 R5?

selvaracp

Broken In
I have purchased an Alienware 17 R5 laptop. I was planning to buy additional SSD to install in my laptop. But I got conflicting information throughout the internet including Dell sale representative. I am completely take aback with this amount of confusion.

I have bought a laptop with "512GB PCIe M.2 Class 50 SSD + 1TB 7200RPM HDD".

On checking the Alienware 17 R5 Specification document(Alienware 17 R5 Spec Doc) I confirmed to myself that there are 2 SSD slot, 1 HDD slot and 1 Intel Optane slot. Is this right???

Please help

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
How about helping a guy who just asked for your help in the current situation and not in a hypothetical situation...

Alienware 17 R5 Review: Powerful Gaming, Back in Black

While the CPU and GPU are in there forever, the Alienware 17’s RAM and storage are upgradable. On the bottom, you can use a Phillips #1 screwdriver to remove five screws and loosen one base screw so you can pry the bottom off. The RAM is immediately accessible, with two SODIMM slots available as soon as you take off the bottom plate. Ours, however, came with the maximum 32GB.

To replace the SSD, you may need to remove and replace a metal shield, before removing and after replacing the drive (ours didn’t have one, but the instruction manual mentions it for certain configurations). To free the drive, you’ll need to remove one small screw, which you’ll need to put back to secure a new drive in place.

Our model also had an extra bay to add another PCIe SSD. To switch out the HDD, you’ll need to remove the hard drive cable from the board, remove screws that keep the hard drive in the assembly, and remove more screws that keep the hard drive in a bracket. With a new HDD, you’ll need to put all of those back and reattach the cable.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
How about helping a guy who just asked for your help in the current situation and not in a hypothetical situation...
1 slot as per this but there are different models
laptopmedia.com/laptop-specs/alienware-17-r5-3/
Where did you buy it from and for how much?

OP
S

selvaracp

Broken In
Essentially I made a stupidest mistake because I was so hasty as I have to leave US in 1 week and it bit me in my ***. I am going to regret it for the rest of my life...

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Essentially I made a stupidest mistake because I was so hasty as I have to leave US in 1 week and it bit me in my ***. I am going to regret it for the rest of my life...
That's why I said:
Should've asked for a recommendation before making a purchase.
Check if the website/store is accepting returns.

I have purchased an Alienware 17 R5 laptop. I was planning to buy additional SSD to install in my laptop. But I got conflicting information throughout the internet including Dell sale representative. I am completely take aback with this amount of confusion.

I have bought a laptop with "512GB PCIe M.2 Class 50 SSD + 1TB 7200RPM HDD".

On checking the Alienware 17 R5 Specification document(Alienware 17 R5 Spec Doc) I confirmed to myself that there are 2 SSD slot, 1 HDD slot and 1 Intel Optane slot. Is this right???

Please help
That doc says 3 M.2 slots for ssd one of which can be used with optane drives and 1 standard 2.5" sata drive (ssd/hdd). You can still populate other M.2 slots.

OP
S

selvaracp

Broken In
That's why I said:

Check if the website/store is accepting returns.

That doc says 3 M.2 slots for ssd one of which can be used with optane drives and 1 standard 2.5" sata drive (ssd/hdd). You can still populate other M.2 slots.
Thats what I am hoping to be true SaiyanGoku ji... Trust me when I say I have been researching(to my level) for nearly 2 years to buy a gaming laptop... For this to happen...

Top Bottom