How many of you use password managers ?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Which password manager and why ?
I am migrating from lastpass to bitwarden, as lastpass has ended multi device support for free and in general lastpass is asshoe!...was curious if there are even better alternatives.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I used to use Keepass with Syncthing to sync the database across all my devices. But it was getting tedious to maintain. So I moved to Bitwarden that I self-host on my VPS.

OP
Nerevarine

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I don't believe password managers by any 3rd party. The only one I trust and use is my head / brain :D
You don't need to use 3rd party storage. You can define your own cloud storage and use it as database.
Like how Desmond is doing. He's using bitwarden as a front end, but everything is stored on his private vps. It's all seamless and you decide how secure it is. But if you can remember in your head that's obviously the best use case.
Also remember to have 2fa on

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Like how Desmond is doing. He's using bitwarden as a front end, but everything is stored on his private vps.
Yes.

However, if you do not want to buy a VPS, you can also host on a Raspberry Pi and connect it to your router and then open a port on your router and forward it to Bitwarden server on your Raspberry Pi. The advantage of hosting on a Raspberry Pi is that you can run it 24 hours and it does not consume much power. Also, it will remain in your house physically so no third party will have access to it.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Yes.

However, if you do not want to buy a VPS, you can also host on a Raspberry Pi and connect it to your router and then open a port on your router and forward it to Bitwarden server on your Raspberry Pi. The advantage of hosting on a Raspberry Pi is that you can run it 24 hours and it does not consume much power. Also, it will remain in your house physically so no third party will have access to it.

Am doing exactly this. Bitwarden as a frontend, on a home assistant setup, done on a pi using hassio. the pi controls everything from physical light and fan switches, to whats playing on tv to even storing my passwords. I used Bitwarden addon for hassio.

shreeux

Movie Buff
Which password manager and why ?
I am migrating from lastpass to bitwarden, as lastpass has ended multi device support for free and in general lastpass is asshoe!...was curious if there are even better alternatives.

Same here...Using Lastpass only...Checked with mobile app...Shows Only3 switches left:-(
Tried to open in the browser mobile...working fine...No issues.,

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Same here...Using Lastpass only...Checked with mobile app...Shows Only3 switches left:-(
Tried to open in the browser mobile...working fine...No issues.,
Just move to Bitwarden. Heck even their premium is worth spending and more economical compared to lastpass. Considering the premium one in near future.

Sent via Tapatalk

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Please provide me good guide on setting up bitwarden on my own VPS.
I really shouldn't depend on Firefox's internal password manager :p

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Please provide me good guide on setting up bitwarden on my own VPS.
I really shouldn't depend on Firefox's internal password manager :p
Quite a simple process. Check it here: Install and Deploy | Bitwarden Help & Support

@Desmond David also runs on his server. He can guide you if you have any issues.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Quite a simple process. Check it here: Install and Deploy | Bitwarden Help & Support

@Desmond David also runs on his server. He can guide you if you have any issues.
One correction. Don't use the official Bitwarden server. Instead use bitwarden_rs: dani-garcia/bitwarden_rs

It's fully compatible with any bitwarden client and more actively maintained and lighter on system resources.

Top Bottom