how do you folks resolve dependencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iinfi

mekalodu
i m using RHEL5 at the moment. i downloaded pam_mount rpm from sourceforge and created a repo for it along with other rpms in the rhel5 dvd and did a yum install.(dont v rh support yet so cant download frm rh site)
following are the two missing dependencies which i face. how do i proceed from here?
tried creating symbolic links to files libcrypto.so.0.9.8b, and libssl.so.0.9.8b in /lib directory.
still it shows the same errors.
am i proceeding in the right direction

Code:
Marking pam_mount-0.13.0.i586.rpm to be installed
Resolving Dependencies
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Package pam_mount.i586 0:0.13.0-0 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: libcrypto.so.0.9.7 for package: pam_mount
--> Processing Dependency: libssl.so.0.9.7 for package: pam_mount
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: libcrypto.so.0.9.7 is needed by package pam_mount
Error: Missing Dependency: libssl.so.0.9.7 is needed by package pam_mount
You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root
[root@lin10 rpms]#

i tried to use Cent OS. issue persists. i downloaded the tar file so that i can do a ./configure and make, still it failed saying a libHX not found.

plz let me know where i m going wrong here n how i need to tackle such stuff going forward.

Last edited:

NucleusKore

TheSaint
To find out what "provides" the dependency you can use *rpm.pbone.net/

For example if you search for libcrypto.so.0.9.7 you'll get a list of results. Look for your distro or something close, RedHat in this case.
See this line

RedHat 7.X ftp.pramberger.at/systems/linux/contrib/rh73/i686/openssl097-0.9.7g-8.pp-rh73.i686.rpm

So if you click on openssl097-0.9.7g-8.pp-rh73.i686.rpm in that link, you will be taken to the page, in which you look for "provides". You'll find your requirements there.

So look for the openssl package in the repository of your distro and install that, and not the file from rpm.pbone

Last edited:
OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
yea i m doing exactly that ... but i thought u guys mite v a better way of handling such stuff.

do you work on linux in office? which distro do you work on. m pretty new to linux though trying to learn quickly.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
yea i m doing exactly that ... but i thought u guys mite v a better way of handling such stuff.

do you work on linux in office? which distro do you work on. m pretty new to linux though trying to learn quickly.

New to Linux? Go for Ubuntu or OpenSUSE.

If you want Support, you can look at SLED.

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
m a jr. linux admin ... at office we use red hat only. few others also wrk on suse 10.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
m a jr. linux admin ... at office we use red hat only. few others also wrk on suse 10.

Umm...Sorry I misunderstood you as new to Linux in terms of desktop.
I think you must read the Red Hat Documentation, they are excellent in quality IMHO.
*www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
yea man ... documentation is ok.. but if the client has wierd requirements and there is no senior person to help or mentor ... thn ... fool arnd like me.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Look yum in Fedora handles all dependencies quite well, so does red hat. It's just the question of having the right repositories added. As I do not use Fedora or RedHat I cannot guide you. If your company is legally using RedHat they'll have telephone support, so you can call in and ask.

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
ours is a startup firm... so though a red hat partner we dont v support yet. so i m on my own. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom