How do i use my desktop internet connection for my laptop?

sid_rocks

Right off the assembly line
i have a local cable internet connection(no modem,no router) which i plug in the back of my computer and its all set.now,it is for my desktop but when i insert that cable in my laptop.,it says username and password incorrect.i called up my ISP and he said i can use my internet only on my desktop and not on any other computer.is there a way out of it? can i use that internet on my laptop somehow? i dont wanna use the internet on both(laptop and desktop)so im not asking for something complicated.plz help

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Get a Wireless card for PC. Install Connectify and share the local internet connection from desktop to Laptop

Hrishi

Try and see if you your LAN Interface card allows you to change its MAC address temporarly*.
I Think the ISP limits access to one system each per connection , by registering its MAC id.

If you can copy the MAC ID from your Desktop into your Laptop , you can use the internet[maybe] .

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
Using virtual wifi hotspot, you can access internet in laptop. Get a wifi adapter and connect it to your desktop. I'm using an EDUP brand adapter and the software has option to create virtual hotspot. You can also create a virtual wifi hotspot easily in win 7. Just run the following in a bat file:

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=HotspotName key=password keyUsage=persistent
netsh wlan start hostednetwork

This will create a virtual wifi named HotSoptName and the wifi network key is password. This is better than connectify which used to make bsod in my pc.

To disconnect the hotspot use 'netsh wlan stop hostednetwork'

In your pc network select properties and set sharing.

Top Bottom