How 2 Install Ubuntu from digit DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
Im completely confused abt this... do i hv to download any image file or anything else from net or i can just go on install it from dvd(april 06)....i dun find d required boot image files as per readme....neither any setup or somthin like dat....im new to linux....already have xp sp2

plz help me out...

cheers

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
in digit dvd linux is given as a image file.that is *.iso.u need to burn it on cd with nero or any soft which supports image.in nero just choose burn image to disc option and point to that image.the images are made bootable.ones burned can be used to install.if a linux distro has multiple cd u have to burn each of them before u can install linux.

for booting from cd u have alter boot squence in BIOS. after that just boot through the cd and procced with installation

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
No you need not get any extra files from internet to install it. But, you will require few more files to make things like mp3 support work, install your favourite browser favourite media player, etc.
BTW, I suggest you get Ubuntu 6.06. The one supplied with digit is 5.10 which is a bit outdated and has one or two security problems that have been discovered. So, if you use it, you will need to update it from internet too.

OP
speedyguy

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
k thanx tech but d probs is it wont b easy for me to get ubuntu 6.....i got this 5.1 from digit...i dun have any other source for linux...will giv a try

2ndly, i hv installed ubuntu in partion C: (ntfs)...which created another partition....but it corupted my xp boot...i had to fix it using xp repair, it made a lotsa mess....so booting xp is solved but ubuntu is not booting....it hangs after while loading...this is d case from very beginning i installed it...any idea abt this???

cheers

mehulved

Firstly, you can order ubuntu cd's from shipit.ubuntu.com for totally free or most probably search your LUG, IMO many people around your area will have got a few extra cd's of ubuntu ordered and might be willing to give you one.
Can you describe your partition structure properly. I can't get how exactly is your computer partitioned. And are you using GRUB or ntldr? Also, at what point is ubuntu hanging?

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
speedyguy said:
k thanx tech but d probs is it wont b easy for me to get ubuntu 6.....i got this 5.1 from digit...i dun have any other source for linux...will giv a try

2ndly, i hv installed ubuntu in partion C: (ntfs)...which created another partition....but it corupted my xp boot...i had to fix it using xp repair, it made a lotsa mess....so booting xp is solved but ubuntu is not booting....it hangs after while loading...this is d case from very beginning i installed it...any idea abt this???

cheers

How did you install Ubuntu on an NTFS partiton !

OP
speedyguy

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
@ vignesh: well if dats surprising even im surprised but it did install in a ntfs partition....there wasnt any message regarding that...

@ tech: well my partition is-

C: 8GB
D: 12GB
E: 14GB
F: 6GB
(40GB Seagate)

D: (fat32) has xp sp2 installed

C: (ntfs) had win 98 earlier...now formatted b4 installing ubuntu.
partition for linux was made in c: of 4gb + 204mb swap

i think im using GRUB but not sure...how do i figure it out?
2ndly, it hangs up after loading network, devices etc succesfully....it gets stuck while loading "hotplug"

ps: can i remove my current installation of linux without affecting xp...incase if i need to...coz i cant re-install over the current one
thanx

ps(2): how come they r distributing free ubuntu cds....i did order one but didnt get it...will they absolutely charge nuttin??? their faq says respective country's taxes may be chargable to us but not sure n r limited to certain countries...

cheers

Last edited:

mehulved

speedyguy said:
@ vignesh: well if dats surprising even im surprised but it did install in a ntfs partition....there wasnt any message regarding that...

@ tech: well my partition is-

C: 8GB
D: 12GB
E: 14GB
F: 6GB
(40GB Seagate)

D: (fat32) has xp sp2 installed

C: (ntfs) had win 98 earlier...now formatted b4 installing ubuntu.
partition for linux was made in c: of 4gb + 204mb swap

i think im using GRUB but not sure...how do i figure it out?
2ndly, it hangs up after loading network, devices etc succesfully....it gets stuck while loading "hotplug"

ps: can i remove my current installation of linux without affecting xp...incase if i need to...coz i cant re-install over the current one
thanx

ps(2): how come they r distributing free ubuntu cds....i did order one but didnt get it...will they absolutely charge nuttin??? their faq says respective country's taxes may be chargable to us but not sure n r limited to certain countries...

cheers
Well speedyguy you have confused everyone. Well anyway your ntfs partition was formatted to ext3 or what ever partition you might have chosen.
Well when you bootup what type of screen do you get? Does it look anything like this *yekubuntu.free.fr/warty/images/grub.png
Hmm i don't have much idea on hotplug. You make a post regurding this part in Open Source section, you are very likely to get an answer there.
How to remove
linux.
They can distribute cd's for free as Mark Shuttleworth made a huge fortune selling of some companies of his before the dotcom bust. Also, they have many sponsors, too. So, he is utilising the profits to distribute free cd's as an investment to promote his product and create a brand image. They will continue sending free cd's as long as the funds last.

OP
speedyguy

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
ya its that screen while booting...well shifting to open source

and ya got this funda of ubuntu cds
thanx

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom