Honda put Formula One team up for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

sachin_kothari

Ambassador of Buzz
Honda have announced that it plans to sell its Formula One team after the Japanese car manufacturer’s decision to withdraw from the sport in light of difficult conditions in the global auto market.

The current Honda team was formed in 2000 after the company took over the former BAR squad, transforming it into a works team in 2006. Honda now hope to have new owners in place ahead of the 2009 season.

Team principal Ross Brawn and team CEO Nick Fry are expected to be closely involved in the evaluation of potential buyers, with speculation also arising that Brawn could call on contacts at his former team, Ferrari, to help secure a new engine supply deal.

Honda’s original Formula One involvement began in the 1960s, American Richie Ginther scoring their maiden win at the 1965 Mexico Grand Prix. Absent from competition in the ‘70s, they went on to several title successes as engine suppliers in the ‘80s and ‘90s with the likes of Williams and McLaren.

Their 2006 works return started well, with Jenson Button winning the Hungarian Grand Prix en route to fourth in the constructors’ championship. However, the team lost their way the following year, scoring just six points from 17 races.

Brawn’s subsequent arrival was heralded as the start of a new era, but came too late to have significant impact on Honda’s 2008 campaign, which saw them finish ninth in the final standings.

Neither of Honda’s race drivers, Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello, has yet been confirmed for 2009 and the UK-based team recently evaluated GP2 star Bruno Senna.

Source

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Not sure, although whoever it is, I hope Brawn stays at the helm and control things so they channel into a common goal and develop a competitive package.

red_devil

Back!
despite all the cost cutting measures, F1 is still a very costly sport..hope someone buys out the team... i dont wanna see less than 10 teams compete in F1...

and it could only be a matter of time when our very own Mr. Mallya pulls out of F1 :D

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
yes. the recent automobile slowdown has effected them. I think we will not see anymore pull out's.

PS: Why can't FIA fund these teams that face problems?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Why do I see McLaren and Ferrari as the 2 towers standing?!

This is bad.. B.A.R was backed fully by Honda... I guess the issue must be serious for such a drastic step..

anispace

dattebayo
Why do I see McLaren and Ferrari as the 2 towers standing?!

This is bad.. B.A.R was backed fully by Honda... I guess the issue must be serious for such a drastic step..

BMW had a good season and Renault n Toyota could throw in a surprise next year so its not that bad. Honda F1 wasnt any competition anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom