Home Networking Tips reqd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gg_3000

Broken In
Hi guyz,
I hav 2 PCs at my home.. They both hav AMD Athlon 64 processors and running Windows XP with SP2.. Both hav mobo's with onboard Ethernet (100 Mbps) and Firewire Ports (1394 - The Bigger Pin Type).. Additionally i hav a PCI Ethernet card wit me..

I hav BSNL Dataone bb conn.. They hav provided me a Huawei SmartAX MT882 ADSL Modem which has 1 ethernet and 1 Usb provision..

I want 2 set-up a home network with files & other resources Sharing between the 2 pc's.. I also want 2 share the net connection.. I want to connect 2 the net from either PCs even if the PC is switched off..

Is there any way to work it out without buying any additional equipment like a switch???

I thought of this method.. Pls lemme know if it would work.. PC1 connected 2 modem via USB.. PC2 via Ethernet.. Connect the 2 PCs via Ethernet Card of PC1 and the additional Ethernet card (connected to PC2) or use firewire..

Note: BSNL connection requires to dynamically acquire an IP address and other settings each time i connect.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Buy a ethernet hub (cost around rs.500),

connect the modem in Uplink port of the hub, Connect the 2 Pc's other port

Assign static Ip of your lan card.

(Example):-

Pc1:-192.168.1.10
Pc2:-192.168.1.11

Subnet Mask:-255.255.255.0
Gateway:-192.168.1.1

If you using dial-up/bridge mode change it to Always On/router mode
How follow the link.
*www.calcuttatelephones.com/dataoneinstall/mu03.html

Now share drive and enjoy

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
some corrections to be made dissel

please make the IP address like this:

Then when u complete the setup... head to Start > Programs > Accesories > Network Setup Wizard

Here select the first option "The Computer connects to internet directly or through a hub and other computers also connect to internet from the hub"

ID the computer ex: 01
Give the computer name ex: INTEL

Next

Give a Workgroup name ex: Home

Follow the same procedure but give the ID and Computer name different, but dont change the workgroup keep it "Home"

After the setup..... do this from each system, go to command prompt and start pinging.

ex: if u want to check ur 192.168.10.1 system is connected perfectly to 192.168.10.2 then enter the following code:

ping 192.168.10.2

u should get the result as 0% loss after the three attempts.

Do the vise versa on the other system

cooldip10

In the zone
Your idea is perfectly fine.

Follow the steps to setup the home network using the Network Setup Wizard in Windows on both the PCs.

Enjoy buddy.

Goten

Banned
gg_3000 said:
Hi guyz,
I hav 2 PCs at my home.. They both hav AMD Athlon 64 processors and running Windows XP with SP2.. Both hav mobo's with onboard Ethernet (100 Mbps) and Firewire Ports (1394 - The Bigger Pin Type).. Additionally i hav a PCI Ethernet card wit me..

I hav BSNL Dataone bb conn.. They hav provided me a Huawei SmartAX MT882 ADSL Modem which has 1 ethernet and 1 Usb provision..

I want 2 set-up a home network with files & other resources Sharing between the 2 pc's.. I also want 2 share the net connection.. I want to connect 2 the net from either PCs even if the PC is switched off..

Is there any way to work it out without buying any additional equipment like a switch???

I thought of this method.. Pls lemme know if it would work.. PC1 connected 2 modem via USB.. PC2 via Ethernet.. Connect the 2 PCs via Ethernet Card of PC1 and the additional Ethernet card (connected to PC2) or use firewire..

Note: BSNL connection requires to dynamically acquire an IP address and other settings each time i connect.

Manuals given by Intel n Dissel are gud enuff.

But u wanted to setup without a hub or switch.

I really thing thats possible for u coz all u gotta do is install usb drivers on first comp n connect usb in that n for the second comp u can use lan but for sharing means running internet simultaneosly would b hard in this situation coz u can only share on lan so for that u gotta switch on comp 1 n connect via usb n then share net on lan. When u want comp 2 to b on n connected(comp1 off) then u have to manually remove lan wire connecting two comps n connect the modem lan wire.Kinda messy n hectic.If u can handle this then go with this. Sharing has been already discussed by intel n dissel.

Peace~~~!

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
cooldip10 said:
Your idea is perfectly fine.

Follow the steps to setup the home network using the Network Setup Wizard in Windows on both the PCs.

Enjoy buddy.

Which idea is perfect man????? :D

cooldip10

In the zone
Intel_Gigacore said:
Which idea is perfect man????? :D

The idea to connect PC1 to the broadband service through USB and then connecting PC2 to PC1 through LAN. That's what I actually learned in my twelth standard..

If there is any fault plz do point it out.. I 'm open to accept it and in a way I will get to know the mistake.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom