Home Networking: I need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

adit_sen

In the zone
I neet to set up a network at home, and I need help on how to go about it.

Here's my setup. I have two laptops and one desktop. I have an internet connection coming via a LAN cable, which I use occassionally. I also have a wireless connection (shared from my friend's router). And finally, I also use my mobile phone at times to connect to the net. Now I want to connect the three together to share files and also share the internet connection.

How would I go about this? Should I get a router (I prefer a wireless router)? or a hub? or an access point? and how would I share the internet connection between the three?

Cheers

Hackattack

Multicore Mutant
You can connect all three via bluetooth, if distance is not too much. Or u might use a hub, get three patch cords and share one of the Lancard (through ICS) to rest of the two laptops.

Gotta go now.

Last edited:

Minimalistix

I'm back!
Hackattack said:
You can connect all three via bluetooth
Bluetooth is gonna be slow for file transfers.

Instead of getting a hub, cables and then ending up with no mobility get a WiFi adapter for your desktop. Assuming that your laptops must already be having WiFi, once put on the same wireless network you'll have a truly mobile home networking experience. :)

Use Bluetooth to connect your cellphone to your laptops which most likely will have it built-in. To transfer files from cell to PC use a Bluetooth dongle or transfer files to laptop first and then to PC over WiFi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom