Home LAN : Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikramk

Broken In
I wanted to backup data from my laptop to my desktop; hence bought a crossover cable to connect the two. When I connected the cable, however, the laptop showed as connected; the desktop showed limited connectivity. When I tried to use the network set up wizard (as in the digit tutorial), I did not get the screen "Select your private connection"; it skipped directly to the next screen.

Background: I use a MTNL Triband DSL connection. The modem is usually connected to my desktop through the same RJ-45 port. I simply unplugged it (don't need a shared internet connection right now; just a backup) and plugged in the cable connecting my laptop.

Is this the problem? Do I need two ethernet cards even if I don't need to share the connection? Or is it a cable problem? Is it possible to connect the two computers using a USB cable?

Suggestions would be much appreciated.

choudang

Padawan
enable File and Printer Sharing...... and don't need to run Network setup wizard.... just right click o the drive/folder and select sharing and security, go to Sharing Tab and click if you understand... >> again click the same -- select just enable....... select the sharing box and enter the sharing name.... all done....

mediator

Technomancer
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=304378&highlight=#304378

This is my post....and try the registry method!

OP
V

vikramk

Broken In
Thanks warrior, mediator

Thanks guys, but it turned out to be a simple solution after all. Just ran ipconfig on my desktop to find out ip address and subnest mask and then set my laptop to that ip address+1 and same subnet mask. Everything ok now, but i'm guessing that I will have to reset my laptop tcp/ip properties again when I want to connect to the net.

By the way, mediator, the registry solution - thanks a ton but way above my competence / IQ level - I work in a bank in a non-tech role!

choudang

Padawan
no need to reset the IP config, if you are using a dial up or b/bd connection. cuz.. i never do this..... but if you are using a sharing internet connection, then might be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom