HiSilicon Kirin 970 discussion thread

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Last year it emerged that Kirin 970 beats Snapdragon 845 in a number of image recognition benchmarks. Honor published its own tests revealing claiming the chip performs better than the newer Snapdragon 845 as well which was 20-33 percent faster run on classified pre-trained models.:+1: Because of the NPU, its performance for ML has increased and performs better than Snapdragon DSP design.
What about actual day to day performance? You won't be using the camera 24*7.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Last year it emerged that Kirin 970 beats Snapdragon 845 in a number of image recognition benchmarks. Honor published its own tests revealing claiming the chip performs better than the newer Snapdragon 845 as well which was 20-33 percent faster run on classified pre-trained models.:+1: Because of the NPU, its performance for ML has increased and performs better than Snapdragon DSP design.
It doesnt matter if Honor phones take pictures 0.01 seconds faster than snapdragon ones. Tell me, what happens after 4 years when the support ends from Honor. THERE WOULD BE NO AFTER MARKET ROMS to keep your phone alive.

PrashantK007

Journeyman
It doesnt matter if Honor phones take pictures 0.01 seconds faster than snapdragon ones. Tell me, what happens after 4 years when the support ends from Honor. THERE WOULD BE NO AFTER MARKET ROMS to keep your phone alive.
He'll buy another Honor phone with Kirin 970 then lol.

Charchit Sharma

Journeyman
There is a difference between ROM and processor I guess!

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
There is a difference between ROM and processor I guess!
What he meant was that after 1.5-2 years, Huawei/Honor would simply end all software support for the phone. And since they already are ending support for Bootloader Unlocking, you'll be stuck with bloated, buggy emui and no option to flash any custom rom. Keep in mind that there are 4-5 year old phones, running latest android oreo 8.1 because of custom roms and developer support.

PrashantK007

Journeyman
What he meant was that after 1.5-2 years, Huawei/Honor would simply end all software support for the phone. And since they already are ending support for Bootloader Unlocking, you'll be stuck with bloated, buggy emui and no option to flash any custom rom. Keep in mind that there are 4-5 year old phones, running latest android oreo 8.1 because of custom roms and developer support.
Ohhh....
I am not a rich person and if this custom rom thing gives a my phone extra life and I woldn't need to buy a phone again for software only, I will buy that phone which has many custom roms.

Deepankur19

Broken In
One hard reason to understand is despite the prowess of KIRIN 970, it is not able to match up to Snapdragon 845 in benchmark scores

Charchit Sharma

Journeyman
Kirin 970 is not that good as snapdragon 845 it is on another level the GPU in 845 that is adreno 630 which is very good in graphics processing as compared to arm Mali GPU mp3 12 in kirin 970
Kirin Soc's should go with other gpu's and only the speed of the photo capturing doesn't matters and that too of 0.01 seconds
Compatibility is different if hardware are used differently embedded with different software. Try comparing intel and AMD.

Top Bottom