"Hindus reject statue of 'Christian' Charlie Chaplin"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystic

wise one
Well done these S.O.B hindu extremists, Karnataka home minister, and members of BJP. It's such a proud that because of these people I can read such headline that shows Hindus all-together like that. :-|

Hindu protestors in India have denounced Charlie Chaplin as an offensive symbol of Christianity amid a row over plans for a giant statue to honour the silent comedy legend.

The 67 ft statue was to be erected as a tribute in a film sequence by a Bollywood director. But the installation was halted after protests from members of the nationalist BJP party who claimed it "hurt Hindu sentiment".

Activists in Udupi, near Bangalore, told the director, Hemant Hegde, that they would not allow the statue because Chaplin was a Christian, and that any statue would have to honour the Hindu guru Swami Vivekananda instead.

Mr Hegde is shooting scenes for his film Housefull.

The row over Chaplin's Christianity has baffled some Indian commentators. As the first international comedy star, he acquired legendary status for his parody of Hitler in The Great Dictator, and was known for his Left-wing and anti-Nazi views, but has never been considered to have promoted Christianity.

The row reflects a recent surge in militant actions by Hindu nationalist groups, who have led street protests and occasionally launched violent attacks to defend traditional values they believe are under attack.

One group recently attacked young middle class men and women in a bar in Mangalore, where they denounced drinking alcohol as a Western vice.

Local politicians sought to play down the row and suggested local objections focused on the scale of the statue. "The local people have valid objections that a statue of 67 feet of a permanent nature cannot be established," said V.S. Acharya, the home minister in the state of Karnataka.

A senior police officer however confirmed that protesters had complained that the statue was close to a Hindu temple. "It is near a temple, the local people are against installing a Chaplin statue and instead want a statue of Vivekananda," he said.
Source.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Since when did hinduism teach non-tolerance to other religion.
And Charlie Chapin :0
Whats he got to do with Christianity. Are we going Taliban way ?

OP
M

Mystic

wise one
^ I couldn't do anything, but laugh at this. They at least need to read something about Hinduism. Equality, tolerance, and flow with the change is the center of Hinduism. I won't be surprised if in next few years these same people would protests to 'ban' Internet because it 'hurts' the sentiments because of the scale of varied information, content that become available to you. Ban the air because it's polluted instead of preventing the pollution, brr.

I don't know who in its right mind would even bother or care of Chaplin's religion. Never heard, never thought.

We're damn secular, gawd.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^Hinduism is a philosophy but some dimwits make it into doctrines. It gives choice to either get Moksha or continue the material pleasures. It does not enforces anyone to do anything.

But anyway it's too late, and better to be atheist.

OP
M

Mystic

wise one
^Hinduism is a philosophy but some dimwits make it into doctrines. It gives choice to either get Moksha or continue the material pleasures. It does not enforces anyone to do anything.

But anyway it's too late, and better to be atheist.

Became an atheist a long ago, because of too much mess, misconception, and confusion. No hope.

ionicsachin

Ambassador of Buzz
Donno what the hell is wrong with these people. They just want something or the other to be in issue. ""The local people have valid objections that a statue of 67 feet of a permanent nature cannot be established," said V.S. Acharya, the home minister in the state of Karnataka." - As if this Home minister has visited the locality and found out from everyone. Being a normal citizen of India, I dont think any part of our society thinks this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom