Here's Why Moto G will have a tough time being super hit in Indian market

rish1

Cyborg Agent
Considering Moto G 16gb is 200 $ in USA don't expect it to launch it for less than 14000 in india . a 15k pricing is more realistic for the Single sim version dual sim version might be priced higher

Don't be so sure of Motorola G success .. it won't be that easy

why ?

1) local players will be selling 1.7 ghz-2.0 ghz 8 core cortex A7 phones for rs 18-19k some of them will be 4G which is way superior in every aspect than moto G .. lets not talk about the the other extra goodies like 2 gb ram , 1080p screens etc

2) in 14-18k range Local players Will be selling Mtk 6588 1.7 ghz x 4 cortex A7 with mali 450 mp4 gpu ( faster than adreno 305 ) and easily beating moto G performance
Antutu score - around 21k of course with other goodies like 2 gb ram , LArge screens , high resolution ,

There is absolutely no chance Moto G could beat Local players in anyway based on Specs/ PRice at least ..sure not everyone likes cheap chinese phones ( me included)

Let's talk about brands

new entry -

Samsung galaxy Core advance
this features 1.2 GHz dual core krait CPU with adreno 305 .. and has a 4.7 inch display.,the only con with this phone is its low ppi of 200.. galaxy grand had 200 ppi also but it became a massive hit..

1) Samsung Galaxy Win pro

this features a 1.2 ghz cortex a7 quad though the gpu is weaker than moto G adreno 305 this comes with a 1.5 gb ram
considering it is samsung it will be bought by the general masses ( not technically aware people)

2)LG D410

this features the same snapdragon 400 quad core with adreno 305 same as moto G since it has 4.7 inch screen with qhd resolution it will be reasonable to expect pricing of 15-16k

3)Sony Xperia L and M Refresh

This phone was already better in performance than moto g as it has dual core krait.. which trumps quad core cortex a7 in moto G . but they were lacking in other aspects like low resolution slghtly smaller screen , poor screen ... we'll have to wait and see whether sony is going to improve it's screen in 2014 or not ,

see this for more info what sony's line up will be

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/mobiles-tablets/180270-sony-xperia-2014-discussion-thread.html

4) Nokia's Lumia Lineup

lumia 625/630,725/730 with 1 gb ram , dual sim support and bigger screen and resolution

The only missing piece of windows phone till now was dual sim support and low on Ram

Looks like things are about to heat up

Let's Not forget Mototrola is coming back in India After 2 years so Service centers and ASS might be a doubt raiser in People's mind

What i am trying to say is Moto G won't be a clear shot winner . i don't expect it to break a sweat in any of the local players.. in fact Those who Lure Performance over brand will once again pick up local players mobiles .

The purpose of this article is just to let everyone know That though Moto G is A great product , but the competition is also not going to stand still ...
Please feel free to Drop in your opinions whether you liked it or not and

So the Real strengths of Moto G will be

-1 Month early to market
-Top Notch Screen with gorilla Glass and great build
-Google Optimized Operating system ( a Google Company )

P.s - This article does not take into account 8 GB version of Moto G . Yes it might be cheaper but 8 gb on a smartphone without expandable memory is really way below the minimum .
any average user carries around 2-3 gb of songs and some videos easily these days install 1 hd game or click some pics and videos and you are out of memory . 4 gb Xperia M is way better when it comes to storage than 8 gb moto g .

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
1) local players will be selling 8 core cortex A7 phones for rs 18-19k some of them will be 4G which is way superior in every aspect than moto G .. lets not talk about the the other extra goodies like 2 gb ram , 1080p screens etc

3G is having low penetration for tier 2 and tier 3 cities. some operators (like Airtel) have to withdraw their 3G services from some circles which were running on borrowed 3G network from other operators.

Reliance (Mukesh Ambani's group) was supposed to launch pan-India 4G network in 2013, but they still haven't. 3G plans are expensive as pre-FUP data usage is very less and post-FUP speeds are ridiculously slow.

Lets not talk about superiority here. those rebranded chinese phones have bad A.S.S and don't last a year mostly. Add 1080p washed-out screens and bloatwares which make 2GB RAM feel like 512 MB along with little to no developer support.

8 cortex A7 cores on a phone :deadbored:. dual core Kraits perform the same at less power consumption and 4 cores are more than enough for a phone.

Hrishi

I feel it's time when people should stop considering the performance factor judged just based on pure raw performance.
Moto G is a good device , not a deal breaker .
Motorola was known for making some solid devices . Who gives a sh1+ about the approach of common Indian noob who doesn't even needs a f**ing smartphone but still buys one just for the heck of it.
The meaning of an optimized and industry standard device with global community will be ahead by leaps and bounds if the devs. work properly on it.

IMO , motorola g is the alternate option for people who cant afford Nexus phones.

But no doubts your points are genuinely applied on common Indian consumer , who loves the hardware more than the superiority of standard.

OP
R

rish1

Cyborg Agent
3G is having low penetration for tier 2 and tier 3 cities. some operators (like Airtel) have to withdraw their 3G services from some circles which were running on borrowed 3G network from other operators.

Reliance (Mukesh Ambani's group) was supposed to launch pan-India 4G network in 2013, but they still haven't. 3G plans are expensive as pre-FUP data usage is very less and post-FUP speeds are ridiculously slow.

Lets not talk about superiority here. those rebranded chinese phones have bad A.S.S and don't last a year mostly. Add 1080p washed-out screens and bloatwares which make 2GB RAM feel like 512 MB along with little to no developer support.

8 cortex A7 cores on a phone :deadbored:. dual core Kraits perform the same at less power consumption and 4 cores are more than enough for a phone.

thanks for Replying :)

1000 % agreed with you .. In reality only benchmarking apps make use of Quad core .. All the apps and even big HD games only use Dual cores .. Quad core On a phone is overkill already let alone 8 core but hey , you know that , i know that but for majority of people more cores more performance .. and just wait a few months All the advertisements will Brag and shout
OCTA CORE OCTA CORE OCTA CORE.... 4g 4g 4g .. Even those big showroom and sales guys will hail Octa Core Phones
and that will result in Sales . Again Even in metros people still use 2g data packs and 4g won't be fully set up until next 2 years..
8 is better than 4 . 4g is better than 3g this is what every general user will buy into. if you are getting at a marginally higher price why not ?

You completely missed my point Regarding superiority of chinese players ...

Chinese phones sells only because of Specs and no other reason . they Provide more Numbers at less price than MNC brands and that is why they are so popular . People think i am getting the same Octa core or quad core as Samsung s4 with big screens at half price what a value for money phone it is .. that's what is Advertised and that's what people believe
this is where they are superior

I feel it's time when people should stop considering the performance factor judged just based on pure raw performance.
Moto G is a good device , not a deal breaker .
Motorola was known for making some solid devices . Who gives a sh1+ about the approach of common Indian noob who doesn't even needs a f**ing smartphone but still buys one just for the heck of it.
The meaning of an optimized and industry standard device with global community will be ahead by leaps and bounds if the devs. work properly on it.

IMO , motorola g is the alternate option for people who cant afford Nexus phones.

But no doubts your points are genuinely applied on common Indian consumer , who loves the hardware more than the superiority of standard.

Thanks Rishi for replying
once again Moto G is not a Deal breaker it is a very Solid Smartphone

But you are missing my point i wrote this article From a market Business or Sales Perspective. Ultimately that determines whether a product is a success or not.

sadly a great product does not means Great sales or success . take Example - MAx PAyne 3 is an awesome game but it failed Badly at market and it is became a major Flop .. Galaxy S4 is the best selling phone and a huge success but it doesn't mean it's the best

Well Regarding your point of raw performance is both right and wrong
It is right because a greater hardware does not mean a smoother performance . The more optimized the software is the more smoother the performance is . But what about those who like playing HD games and apps no matter how much optimized your OS is when Running Apps and games Raw performance is all what it matters . A Raw performance also ensures a longer future proofing.. this trait is continuing from PC market and it will keep on going like this.. So they are both Different sides of the same coin both Raw Hardware and Optimization are required . Any deficiency in one department will result in Bottle necking effect of the other . With the invent OF Android Kit kat we have reached a stage where low end hardware will feel as smooth and fluid as a high end hardware . Jelly bean Was also very smooth but it required really high minimum requirements .. so all that will differentiate between a phone costing 10k and a phone costing 50k will be the raw hardware. Again these days a new model is launched every 3 months that leaves optimization just a dream .. the moto for manufacturers is shut up and ship thats why the end result is buggy and half baked

and yes an average indian buys smartphone simply because it's a fashion and a trend . he is only going to use facebook and whatsapp with some music .. older people don't even use that they buy because it's a social status need now a days that pushes optimization and usefulness of product further out of the picture.. they buy what ads sell

nice talking to you ..

Last edited:

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Considering Moto G 16gb is 200 $ in USA don't expect it to launch it for less than 14000 in india . a 15k pricing is more realistic for the Single sim version dual sim version might be priced higher

Don't be so sure of Motorola G success .. it won't be that easy

why ?

1) local players will be selling 1.7 ghz-2.0 ghz 8 core cortex A7 phones for rs 18-19k some of them will be 4G which is way superior in every aspect than moto G .. lets not talk about the the other extra goodies like 2 gb ram , 1080p screens etc

2) in 14-18k range Local players Will be selling Mtk 6588 1.7 ghz x 4 cortex A7 with mali 450 mp4 gpu ( faster than adreno 305 ) and easily beating moto G performance
Antutu score - around 21k of course with other goodies like 2 gb ram , LArge screens , high resolution ,

There is absolutely no chance Moto G could beat Local players in anyway based on Specs/ PRice at least ..sure not everyone likes cheap chinese phones ( me included)

Let's talk about brands

1) Samsung Galaxy Win pro

this features a 1.2 ghz cortex a7 quad though the gpu is weaker than moto G adreno 305 this comes with a 1.5 gb ram
considering it is samsung it will be bought by the general masses ( not technically aware people)

2)LG D410

this features the same snapdragon 400 quad core with adreno 305 same as moto G since it has 4.7 inch screen with qhd resolution it will be reasonable to expect pricing of 15-16k

3)Sony Xperia L and M Refresh

This phone was already better in performance than moto g as it has dual core krait.. which trumps quad core cortex a7 in moto G . but they were lacking in other aspects like low resolution slghtly smaller screen , poor screen ... we'll have to wait and see whether sony is going to improve it's screen in 2014 or not ,

see this for more info what sony's line up will be

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/mobiles-tablets/180270-sony-xperia-2014-discussion-thread.html

4) Nokia's Lumia Lineup

lumia 625/630,725/730 with 1 gb ram , dual sim support and bigger screen and resolution

The only missing piece of windows phone till now was dual sim support and low on Ram

Looks like things are about to heat up

Let's Not forget Mototrola is coming back in India After 2 years so Service centers and ASS might be a doubt raiser in People's mind

What i am trying to say is Moto G won't be a clear shot winner . i don't expect it to break a sweat in any of the local players.. in fact Those who Lure Performance over brand will once again pick up local players mobiles .

The purpose of this article is just to let everyone know That though Moto G is A great product , but the competition is also not going to stand still ...
Please feel free to Drop in your opinions whether you liked it or not and

So the Real strengths of Moto G will be

-1 Month early to market
-Top Notch Screen with gorilla Glass and great build
-Google Optimized Operating system ( a Google Company )

P.s - This article does not take into account 8 GB version of Moto G . Yes it might be cheaper but 8 gb on a smartphone without expandable memory is really way below the minimum .
any average user carries around 2-3 gb of songs and some videos easily these days install 1 hd game or click some pics and videos and you are out of memory . 4 gb Xperia M is way better when it comes to storage than 8 gb moto g .

Bullshit abt lumia they don't need soo much ram even the 520 is a great phone dont go by specs ever

Even the screen is best on all lumias

nikufellow

In the zone
Xperia m @12 k is a steal IMO, also has micro sd slot, i hope it gets official kitkat update but even if it doesn't no problem as it already has cynagenmod 11 (aka android 4.4.2). Only thing it lacs compared to moto g as pointed out in this article might be the screen and its resolution.So m refresh is something definitely worth looking out for.

OP
R

rish1

Cyborg Agent
Bullshit abt lumia they don't need soo much ram even the 520 is a great phone dont go by specs ever

lol bullshit excuse :p

all the major hd games require minimum 1 gb ram to install let alone run it..

you can play

Subway Surfer
the amazing Spiderman
fifa 13
Mass effect
Dungeon Hunter 4

on xperia M/L but you can't even install it on lumias with 512 mb ram . there are many more games that require min 1 gb ram to install like halo etc..

Last edited:

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist

you can play

Subway Surfer
the amazing Spiderman
fifa 13
Mass effect
Dungeon Hunter 4

on xperia M/L but you can't even install it on lumias with 512 mb ram . there are many more games that require min 1 gb ram to install like halo etc..

android has lakhs of games whereas windows market place lacks it. the game play also depends on the coding of the game. if it is optimally and efficiently coded, i guess most game can work on low end lumia. another thingis the app memory limitation. in windows phone, the maximum an app can take is restricted to 150MB for 512 MB ram devices. the app will close if it takes more than that. and also see lumia 525 . it will be mostly under 12k with 1 gb ram and the future lumia too will come with 1 gb ram as 525 did it. also dont compare 2 phones with different os. android can be laggy even on a quad core krait with 2 gb ram but windows phone is smooth as butter.

Last edited:

vipul619

whodiswhodat

you can play

Subway Surfer
the amazing Spiderman
fifa 13
Mass effect
Dungeon Hunter 4

Actually I used to play Subway Surfers on my old Optimus one, 512mb RAM, so I think it's really not an issue.
Also I've personally used a lumia 520, bought for 7500, imo it's the best thing one can buy across all platforms.
An android at that range will either be a local brand or a very weak device.

Now OT,
4G is really not a problem lol.
And watch the Moto G launch video, you'll know that in day to day usage it definitely surpasses a quad core Galaxy s3 but sometimes even the S4.

It's all about optimization not raw hardware.

And you're missing the best part, Moto is under the Google banner now so it's practically a sister Nexus. Updates won't be an issue.
I agree though that a normal consumer wouldn't care, but people are getting educated slowly, if not they automatically will when they see the poor ASS for local brands..

OP
R

rish1

Cyborg Agent
android has lakhs of games whereas windows market place lacks it. the game play also depends on the coding of the game. if it is optimally and efficiently coded, i guess most game can work on low end lumia. another thingis the app memory limitation. in windows phone, the maximum an app can take is restricted to 150MB for 512 MB ram devices. the app will close if it takes more than that. and also see lumia 525 . it will be mostly under 12k with 1 gb ram and the future lumia too will come with 1 gb ram as 525 did it. also dont compare 2 phones with different os. android can be laggy even on a quad core krait with 2 gb ram but windows phone is smooth as butter.
i know bro that's why i said the only cons of lumia 620 and 720 were low ram and dual sim support both new models will have those now..
yes android was laggy before but see some videos on youtube of older models running kit kat .. it is lag free now .. and yes wp also lags sometimes but is far far better than older android because it is optimied for only few hardware configurations unlike android which runs on any hardware

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
I agree though that a normal consumer wouldn't care, but people are getting educated slowly, if not they automatically will when they see the poor ASS for local brands..

a very good point to be noted. many people bought local phones and many new people will buy again. the poor A.S.S will certainly affect them in the coming years.

i know bro that's why i said the only cons of lumia 620 and 720 were low ram and dual sim support both new models will have those now..
yes android was laggy before but see some videos on youtube of older models running kit kat .. it is lag free now .. and yes wp also lags sometimes but is far far better than older android because it is optimied for only few hardware configurations unlike android which runs on any hardware

rooting voids warranty. also of you dont follow instructions carefully, you may soft brick/hard brick your phone.

OP
R

rish1

Cyborg Agent
Actually I used to play Subway Surfers on my old Optimus one, 512mb RAM, so I think it's really not an issue.
Also I've personally used a lumia 520, bought for 7500, imo it's the best thing one can buy across all platforms.
An android at that range will either be a local brand or a very weak device.

100 % agreed bro lumia 520 is an excellent value for money phone but that is just an exception because it was sold at a loss to gain market share .. no body can beat that nokia was able to pull that off because it was going to be bought by ms ( google it ) it's a long story....

Now OT,
4G is really not a problem lol.
And watch the Moto G launch video, you'll know that in day to day usage it definitely surpasses a quad core Galaxy s3 but sometimes even the S4.

it surpasses a galaxy s3 Because the hardware in it is better than galaxy S3 .. the cortex A7 used in moto G is a revision 3 cortex a7 on a 28nm . the cortex A9 in samsung galaxy s3 is rev 1 on a 32 nm .

you are forgetting that samsung and other manufacturers uses Heavily loaded Skins and launchers with garbage 101 useless features that puts an Extra toll on Cpu and gpu . making them clunky when overloaded by heavy data..

It's all about optimization not raw hardware.

i am saying the same thing bro read the above posts

And you're missing the best part, Moto is under the Google banner now so it's practically a sister Nexus. Updates won't be an issue.

yes i have written the same thing in main post

a very good point to be noted. many people bought local phones and many new people will buy again. the poor A.S.S will certainly affect them in the coming years.

rooting voids warranty. also of you dont follow instructions carefully, you may soft brick/hard brick your phone.

when did i mention rooting ? i said to watch those to see how kit kat performs on low end hardware meaning upcoming low end android kit kat phones will be smooth and fluid and lag free

sad to be bummer but Even Motorola AAS ain't going to be that great since it is resuming it's business after 2 years they shut down their service centers long ago but it will be far better than local players no doubt

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
when did i mention rooting ? i said to watch those to see how kit kat performs on low end hardware meaning upcoming low end android kit kat phones will be smooth and fluid and lag free

what should i understand from this?? older models getting kitkat officially form manufacturers?? give me a proof where older models running kitkat without rooting??
local brands are releasing phones daily and even now with 4.2 only.

OP
R

rish1

Cyborg Agent
what should i understand from this?? older models getting kitkat officially form manufacturers?? give me a proof where older models running kitkat without rooting??
local brands are releasing phones daily and even now with 4.2 only.
hmmm.. maybe a misunderstanding or not the usage of right words from my side so apologies for that

i simply meant that since android 4.4 right now is not available for any Low end phones right now the only way to test how will it perform on low end hardware with 512 mb ram and single/dual cores processor is to see the performance on an older hardware which have got unofficial android 4.4 roms . just to See the improvements made in optimization and get an idea how will kit kat perform on future low end models with kit kat. i didn't mean that older hardware will get kit kat . the whole point of kit kat is optimization for low end hardware with 512 mb ram . this is the area Where WP is far greater than android

that's why google made heavy optimization for low end because windows phone nailed it with it's lag free experience in low End..

new device with 4.4 will start coming from next month . whenever a new OS launches the new devices supporting that OS are launched after 2-3 months it's true for iOS , WP and Android . it Just takes longer on android because there are so many models

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
new device with 4.4 will start coming from next month . whenever a new OS launches the new devices supporting that OS are launched after 2-3 months it's true for iOS , WP and Android . it Just takes longer on android because there are so many models

i could not even find many 4.3 devices ;)

kaz

right here

512m ram and you won't get all apps from Windows Store.. Most heart breaking no Asphalt on L520 :p

Top Bottom