Help with memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaunak

Tux Fan
I have a a intel 865G Motherboard and 384 mb of ram [256 333MHz module + 128 266mhz]. i want to upgrade my ram to 512MB to rum vista should I:

<a> dump my old sticks and get this one
<b>add this one to the mix
<c>or maybe this one
<d>dump 128 add any one of the above

I cant exceed 400mhz or cant get DDR2 as my Motherboard doesn't support it

my budget is a max of 3k [cheaper the better :p ]
please suggest guys.

-Thx

Last edited:

Techinator

Broken In
see as far as RAM is concerned. there is only one rule. THE MORE THE BETTER...

and there is one more point. any no. of RAM modules u add to ur system they work at a frequency lowest among them. so basically ur current 256 MB card is working at only 266 MHz. now even if u dump ur 128 card and add any of the cards u specified they will run at 333 MHz instead of 400. what u can do is seek for a 512 MB 333 MHz card it might cost slightly less than 512 @400MHz add it with ur 256 MB card and dump ur 128.

OP
shaunak

shaunak

Tux Fan
imm not getting a 333 mhz module easily. whatever the dealers have are old stock and cost more than the 400 mhz module. imm very keen on dumping the 128mb one so atleast my modules run at 333 mhz. but i have one more question which is better:
> 640 mb running at 266hz
or
> 512 mb running at 333hz?

more or faster?

and can some one give me aprox prices and buy back rates.

Last edited:

Techinator

Broken In
first check that ur motherboard supports 3 modules or not. support for more than 2 modules is very rare. and still i think 512 @ 333 is better coz it gives u performance and unless u r into stuff like video editing, u can make up for the 640-512 difference by having a little more virtual memory in ur system. so i think 512@333 will give better performance b/w the two choices.

OP
shaunak

shaunak

Tux Fan
my mobo supports 4 moduled upto 4gb of memory.
i think ill go for the 512 @ 333
prices and brands any1?>

Stalker

Padawan
get a 1 gig ram module, sell ur 128 & maintain ur old 256.

for RAM compatibility, visit *www.crucial.com/systemscanner/ :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom