Help: Will I utilize FULL HD?

randomuser111

Technomancer
True, TN is TN. Nothing can change that. Only thing it will have better blacks and contrast but overall the Dell monitor is much better.

Try to check at a few other places too, maybe you can get it for 14k odd. ;)

OP
speedyguy

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
Hmm, I had become greedy for 24" in that budget but looks like there is something really good about the dell ips, reading the posts. Will checkout SP Road and Brigade (Bangalore), this weekend. Will keep you posted.

Enjoy~!

OP
speedyguy

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
Hi Again, the more you research, more you get confused. Happening with me at present. Can somebody put some light on VA panels, when compaired to TN/IPS.

I found this in my easy budget - Benq 24 inch LED - GW2450HM Monitor: Flipkart.com

Also, it has HDMI which Dell doesn't. Although I'm not too sure when I would use it, if at all I do.
Awaiting replies.

Thanks,

Enjoy~!

LGWRSherlock

LG Expert
Hi Again, the more you research, more you get confused. Happening with me at present. Can somebody put some light on VA panels, when compaired to TN/IPS.

I found this in my easy budget - Benq 24 inch LED - GW2450HM Monitor: Flipkart.com

Also, it has HDMI which Dell doesn't. Although I'm not too sure when I would use it, if at all I do.
Awaiting replies.

Thanks,

Enjoy~!

All things considered, there are 3 things you should look at when you are buying a TV or monitor, whether it's for the living room or it's for your personal computer. These are color reproduction, response time, and viewing angle. Generally speaking, many people like to separate the color accuracy, brightness, and contrast ratios into different categories to determine picture quality, but for the sake of simplicity, I will just group them together as color reproduction. Also, you should keep in mind that there are variations of IPS and VA panels that may change things up a bit, so I'll just go through the core specifications behind them.

In terms of color reproduction, I would say that IPS and VA panels would break even. The VA panel may have better black levels, but the IPS panel has better color accuracy. IPS and VA panels trounce TN panels in color reproduction.
In terms of response time, the TN panel will beat out the IPS and VA. The average response time for TN panels is around 2 ms. The response times of IPS panels will vary depending on the manufacturer. High end IPS panels can be as fast as 4 ms, while low end can see up to 10ms. VA panels are basically middle of the road with average response times of 5-7ms. However, unless you're a hardcore competitive gamer, anything less than 10ms should be fine for your gaming needs.
Finally, in terms of viewing angle, nothing beats out the IPS -- by a long shot. Next is the VA panel with decent viewing angles. TN panels have terrible viewing angles, so if you absolutely need to be using the monitor from various angles, don't bother considering TN panels.

In conclusion, all things considered, very high end (and expensive) panels tend to be IPS. VA takes the middle. And TN is low end. Of course, these are just general statements. You can easily find budget IPS panels as well as high end TN panels that will make the IPS panel look like an 8-bit Nintendo game. You will simply have to find the right mixture of everything you need to match your budget.

In my opinion, I think you should stick with an IPS panel. The color reproduction on these panels is amazing, so it would be best for all of your multimedia content. If you can find one with at least an 8ms response time, you should be good for gaming -- unless you're a pro-gamer. Then you should just stick with a TN panel.

If you have any more questions, let me know! I'll be happy to answer them.

LG WRman Sherlock, out!

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
@speedyguy: yes the 21.5" monitor will support full HD (1080p) & u can enjoy it well...
the full HD is more of eye-candy of bigger displays 32" above

OP
speedyguy

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
All things considered, there are 3 things you should look at when you are buying a TV or monitor, whether it's for the living room or it's for your personal computer. These are color reproduction, response time, and viewing angle. Generally speaking, many people like to separate the color accuracy, brightness, and contrast ratios into different categories to determine picture quality, but for the sake of simplicity, I will just group them together as color reproduction. Also, you should keep in mind that there are variations of IPS and VA panels that may change things up a bit, so I'll just go through the core specifications behind them.

In terms of color reproduction, I would say that IPS and VA panels would break even. The VA panel may have better black levels, but the IPS panel has better color accuracy. IPS and VA panels trounce TN panels in color reproduction.
In terms of response time, the TN panel will beat out the IPS and VA. The average response time for TN panels is around 2 ms. The response times of IPS panels will vary depending on the manufacturer. High end IPS panels can be as fast as 4 ms, while low end can see up to 10ms. VA panels are basically middle of the road with average response times of 5-7ms. However, unless you're a hardcore competitive gamer, anything less than 10ms should be fine for your gaming needs.
Finally, in terms of viewing angle, nothing beats out the IPS -- by a long shot. Next is the VA panel with decent viewing angles. TN panels have terrible viewing angles, so if you absolutely need to be using the monitor from various angles, don't bother considering TN panels.

In conclusion, all things considered, very high end (and expensive) panels tend to be IPS. VA takes the middle. And TN is low end. Of course, these are just general statements. You can easily find budget IPS panels as well as high end TN panels that will make the IPS panel look like an 8-bit Nintendo game. You will simply have to find the right mixture of everything you need to match your budget.

In my opinion, I think you should stick with an IPS panel. The color reproduction on these panels is amazing, so it would be best for all of your multimedia content. If you can find one with at least an 8ms response time, you should be good for gaming -- unless you're a pro-gamer. Then you should just stick with a TN panel.

If you have any more questions, let me know! I'll be happy to answer them.

LG WRman Sherlock, out!

That clears a lot for me. My bad I never mentioned my needs. My need is 10% gaming, 50% movies/videos and 45% office work/other work. I actually don't need a very high end as I'm plugging it into my laptop (nVidia NVS graphics - Lenovo 410), but considering I may assemble a PC later on so would use this. I'm buying a 4.1 Speaker along with this for now. I'm no more a gaming freak after my job life (few months) so might at times punch in a few, play for some time and remove them upon getting bored.

My room is mid-sized so slight angle view would be required (not much) for movies/videos but since I'm buying a 4.1 as well, my budget has a constraint. I also need a large screen with good crisp display (full hd LED) but need not be the very best of the lot.

Thanks again. Awaiting your response.

Enjoy~!

LGWRSherlock

LG Expert
That clears a lot for me. My bad I never mentioned my needs. My need is 10% gaming, 50% movies/videos and 45% office work/other work. I actually don't need a very high end as I'm plugging it into my laptop (nVidia NVS graphics - Lenovo 410), but considering I may assemble a PC later on so would use this. I'm buying a 4.1 Speaker along with this for now. I'm no more a gaming freak after my job life (few months) so might at times punch in a few, play for some time and remove them upon getting bored.

My room is mid-sized so slight angle view would be required (not much) for movies/videos but since I'm buying a 4.1 as well, my budget has a constraint. I also need a large screen with good crisp display (full hd LED) but need not be the very best of the lot.

Thanks again. Awaiting your response.

Enjoy~!

You must be a fifth dimensional being, seeing how you can spend 5% more time than everyone else... Just kidding!
What is the budget for your monitor? If anything you can buy an okay monitor for now, then sell it later and upgrade to a much better monitor when you get your desktop up and running!

LG WRman Sherlock, out!

OP
speedyguy

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
Lol, the percentage was regarding the monitor usage not my time. :D

Hey, thank you all so much for the inputs. Helped me a lot learning about IPS vs TN vs VA. I would have never known these till I got one.

I have finally bought Benq GW2450HM. It's VA panel, 5000:1 contrast ratio 24" Full HD LED. Had read some more reviews which revealed it would be a good deal for the price. There, it came out better than TN's with viewing angles and better in response and contrast than low end IPS's. Not too sure about the build and durability of Benq.

So far so good experience for one day. Would post a review after 3-4 days if required. I couldn't go with Dell Ultrasound only due to my budget which was 15K including a Speaker. So this cost me 11,900/- (Local Computer Shop, Bangalore) + iBall Tarang 4.1 (2400/-) and a spike buster :).

Thanks once again. It was a learning hunt for me :)

Enjoy~!

LGWRSherlock

LG Expert
Lol, the percentage was regarding the monitor usage not my time. :D

Hey, thank you all so much for the inputs. Helped me a lot learning about IPS vs TN vs VA. I would have never known these till I got one.

I have finally bought Benq GW2450HM. It's VA panel, 5000:1 contrast ratio 24" Full HD LED. Had read some more reviews which revealed it would be a good deal for the price. There, it came out better than TN's with viewing angles and better in response and contrast than low end IPS's. Not too sure about the build and durability of Benq.

So far so good experience for one day. Would post a review after 3-4 days if required. I couldn't go with Dell Ultrasound only due to my budget which was 15K including a Speaker. So this cost me 11,900/- (Local Computer Shop, Bangalore) + iBall Tarang 4.1 (2400/-) and a spike buster :).

Thanks once again. It was a learning hunt for me :)

Enjoy~!

Congratulations on your purchase! I'm glad that you are (so far) happy with your purchase. Definitely give us a thorough review in a few days! Let's see if you can utilize all the new things you learned in this thread in your review of the monitor! (No pressure!)

LG WRman Sherlock, out!

Top Bottom