Help Upgrading HP Pavilion 15-n013TX..

nura

Right off the assembly line
Hello Everyone,

I just got my New HP Pavilion 15-n013TX on 2nd Jan 2014.. I purchased this laptop by following the advice and reviews posted on this site. So thank you everyone for your support.

The Base Config:
CPU: Core i5 4200U (1.6 Ghz turbo to 2.6Ghz)
GPU: 2GB Nvidia Geforce 740M
RAM: 4GB Kingston PC3-12800 (1600 Mhz) - 1 piece (so we have an empty slot)
HDD: 1 TB (Dont know the other details)

And you have your bluetooth, Wifi, 4-cell battery and other stuff. (to keep it short i will skip all the non-essentials). I will post a detailed review of it with games performance and cons in the show-off section later.

To the Point here..

I would like to upgrade my RAM and HDD on my Lappy.

The first problem is finding a perfect match for the RAM.. 003 (Medium).jpg

The above is a pic of the RAM from the laptop. I have been able to deduce,
Capacity: 4GB
Brand: Kingston
Spec: PC3-12800 (1600 Mhz)

Can anyone suggest a compatible RAM so I can use both in Dual-Channel?

The Second problem is that i want to put in a SSD HDD 128GB. Please suggest a good SSD.
I would like to know if it is possible to clone the Windows partition on my laptop's HDD into the SSD. Because I want to use the original Win 8 that comes with the lappy. I dont want to spend another Rs.10000 on an OS that I already have.

Any suggestions are welcome. My total upgrade budget is Rs.10,000.

PS:
I have shrunk the 1 TB windows partition to 100GB.

Thanks in Advance.. :-D

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
first use HP Backup and Recovery Manager to create recovery discs for original factory software image & then your existing system.after this use them to verify they work correctly & see how they change your new partition layout(shrinked 100gb C drive).this way if anything goes wrong you can claim warranty support & also see which recovery discs(original factory software image & current system image) format whole hdd & which just format the C drive.

OP
N

nura

Right off the assembly line
Ill try that now..

So basically u want me to use the recovery manager to create a recovery media (CD/DVD), install the new SSD and use the Recovery Media to restore the OS on the SSD.

Now I am taking the backup of the OS. But how do I test if it is correct. My new hdd will only be delivered next week..!!

One more thing is it legal to use Windows like this.. Even if it is the same system it was originally used in..??

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
use recovery manager software to create 2 sets of recovery discs:
1.factory default image(one with unshrinked C drive)
2.current state(one with shrinked C drive)
then use both of them on your current system(without ssd) to confirm & see how they work because if anything goes wrong you are covered under warranty.after doing this you will know what to do when upgrading to ssd.as for legality your windows license is tied to your laptop motherboard so as long as it remains same no issues.

Top Bottom