Help the old dinosaur .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

megacoolxs

Broken In
I have an AMD K6-2 on a Jetway J-542B Motherboard system running Windows 98 SE with 128MB RAM, a SiS6215c PCI Graphics Accelerator Card and a Yamaha OPL3 -SAx Soundcard.

a) My motherboards battery has run out. What battery type should I buy to replace it and from which manufacturer? Where can I purchase it from?

b) Recently I removed the soundcard out of it's ISA slot to clean it from dust when I put it back and started my computer, It searched for new hardware and installed it along with a gameport driver. I then removed the gameport driver from the Device Manager and restarted my computer. Windows again installs it. If I select not to the soundcard does not work. This repeats itself if I remove the Gamport driver. Please help.

d) Is there a way to remove buttons I don't use in WMP 7.1 like Skin Chooser, Portable Device?

e) How do I change the Album Name for my CD-Audio in WMP7.1?

f) I want to overclock my CPU and PCI Graphics Card. I use SoftFSB and PowerStrip. What are the correct clock speeds to set it to to achieve optimal performance?

g) Can I install Windows XP Home Edition with my current configuration. How smooth will it run?

megacoolxs signing off .....

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
WinXP home run fine on 128mb ram. Better on 256 and best on 512.

There is a overclocking guide waiting for you in Tutorials section of Digit forum.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Most motherboards use the CR2032 Lithium coin battery, the same used in some Casio Digital Diaries. When you remove the CMOS battery from your motherboard, make sure you note down the model number (starts with CR) and then get the same battery model. They are usually available at all electrical shops for around 25 bucks.

As for the game port, usually, older soundcards bundle game port drivers for MIDI use along with the other necessary drivers. It's best that you let the software install whatever it wants, especially when it comes to drivers.

As for removing access to Skin Chooser, Portable Devices, etc. I am not aware of a way to do that unless you happen to have access to the SDK. Its not customisable.

If you want to change the album name, you can either use the CDDB to automatically update the details (if its a regular album). If its a compilation that you or someone else created, then you have to choose the CD-tracks in the Media Library/CD/DVD drive, and then manually add the Artist/Track/Album information.

There are no "optimal" values for each user when it comes to OCing video cards. You have to tweak to find your perfect settings, using a tutorial and seeing at what point "artifacts" or crashes start showing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom