[help] Socket programming in unix

Status
Not open for further replies.

enigmatic

Right off the assembly line
Hi..i have a win 98 installed on my computer and have very little free harddisk space free on my computer.

so is there any option that i can install on my computer so i pratice socket programming on my computer (for my network lab class).

ujjwal

Padawan
If you don't want to dedicate some hard disk space to a unix installation, you can try a live linux cd, like Damn Small Linux. Its a 50MB download, you can burn it to a cd and use it directly, without installing. It uses tcc (tiny C compiler), but if you want a full fledged compiler like gcc, you can get it from the MyDSL extensions for DSL.

Also, if you have some amount of free disk space (200MB or more), you can try these linux distro's which can run directly off a FAT32 partition, ZipSlack is an example.

OP
E

enigmatic

i really apprecate your reply..thanks a lot

i think i will go for damn small linux!

can u tell me the file to download? i am really confused.i can either install it on the cd or on my hard disk whichever is easier

can me also tell me where i can get gcc compiler ..mydsl where

ujjwal

Padawan
Once you are in DSL and have connected to the internet, you can use the MyDSL browser to download the extensions you need. Or you can download while in windows (check the site, there would be info on that), and load them after booting into DSL.

OP
E

enigmatic

i installed damn small linux

but there is a problem in the colours i am posting a picture

*img279.imageshack.us/my.php?image=knopix8fj.jpg

it is only loading to 1/6 of the screen and the font is so small that i cant see anything and the colours are wierd

ujjwal

Padawan
You are using QEMU to emulate linux? If possible, try running it normally (if you don't have a CDRW, you can still do so, check the end page of the Linux Tips & Tricks thread).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom