Help Rebuild a PC

powerpc

Broken In
Had a PC with AMD 3.5 GHz AMD Phenom II x4 970 Processor and ASUS M5A88-M Motherboard, which is dead. MoBo is gone and no replacement available. If you can suggest a replacement mobo, well and good.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.' Vague answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work.)

Ans: Photo editing using Lightroom / Darktable / Photoshop, occasional video editing using HitFilm Express, online classes, programming classes, playing music, desktop publishing.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then please mention.

Ans: 40K

3. Planning to overclock?

Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?

Ans: Windows 10

5. How much hard drive / solid-state drive space is needed?

Ans: 500GB, 1TB SATA

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention the screen size and resolution you prefer. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, then do mention the screen size and resolution of the monitor you have.

Ans: NO

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy? i.e. which components you already have and plan on reusing?

Ans: PSU, Cabinet, Hard Disks

8. When are you planning to buy the system?

Ans: in 1 week

9. Have you ever built a desktop before? Or, will this be done by an assembler?

Ans: Yes, I will be assembling

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?

Ans: Bangalore. Online preferred

11. Anything else which you would like to say?

Ans: Had a PC with AMD 3.5 GHz AMD Phenom II x4 970 Processor and ASUS M5A88-M Motherboard, which is dead. MoBo is gone and no replacement available. If you can suggest a replacement mobo, well and good.

CPU - Intel i5 10400 - 18.5k

Mobo - Gigabyte B560M DS3H - 9.5k

RAM - 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz - 7.2k

GPU - iGPU

M.2 SSD - Kingston A2000/WD SN550 500GB - 5k

HDD - Yours

PSU - Yours

Cabinet - Yours

Monitor - Yours?

Total - 40.2k

Check primeabgb, mdcomputers, theitdepot, vedant computers, onlyssd (online stores as well) for PC parts at a good price, sometimes even amazon.

What parts do you have?

OP
P

powerpc

Broken In
How about this?

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G
Asus EX-A320M
2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz

I already have Corsair VS450 PSU, Cooler Master cabinet, Samsung Evo 870 500GB SSD, Kbd/mouse, Dell monitor.

How about this?

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G
Asus EX-A320M
2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz

I already have Corsair VS450 PSU, Cooler Master cabinet, Samsung Evo 870 500GB SSD, Kbd/mouse, Dell monitor.
You might save at max 10k by going for those instead of the i5 I suggested. If you know your requirements won't ever be much CPU bound (video editing is), go ahead. Otherwise the 6 core i5 is far superior, except for iGPU performance. You can remove SSD from my suggested config as you already have a good SSD. VS450 is fine for my suggested config, but if you ever decide to get a powerful GPU, change the PSU.

OP
P

powerpc

Broken In
Thank you, @omega44-xt . Will go with i5.

Will GIGABYTE B460M DS3H be OK? Also Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 3200MHZ C16

I hope these are Win 11 compatible.

Thank you, @omega44-xt . Will go with i5.

Will GIGABYTE B460M DS3H be OK? Also Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 3200MHZ C16

I hope these are Win 11 compatible.
Buy B560M because you can use XMP, have to enable it from BIOS. B460M doesn't support XMP so RAM limited to 2666MHz. Price difference is so small that there's no point buying a B460M as you have the money.

Get cheapest 3200MHz RAM from a reputed brand, Crucial, Corsair, adata, XMP, HyperX, Gskill, etc are some good ones.

This seems to be a good deal:
Buy Online ADATA XPG Gammix D30 Series 8GB (8GBX1) DDR4 3200MHz RAM AX4U32008G16A-SR30 - in India

If you feel that you might someday need 64GB RAM, get this instead, add more later:
Buy Online ADATA XPG GAMMIX D30 SERIES 16GB (16GBX1) DDR4 3200MHZ RED Memory AX4U320016G16A-SR30 - in India

navino87

In the zone
@omega44-xt Hi.. I'm on the same boat as op.. My mother board died and I'm looking to rebuild my pc.. My budget is more or less same as op.. My current build is
CPU - Intel i5-3570k
MB - Asus P8Z77-V
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 2 x 4gb 1333MHz
SMPS - Corsair TX650
SSD - 256gb Samsung 860 pro

This components are nearly 9 years old except for SSD which I added recently.. I guess I should replace mother board, processor and Ram.. Is it OK if I can use my old smps or I should replace it?! Please suggest a decent config for me. Thank you

mitraark

Decrepit
@omega44-xt Hi.. I'm on the same boat as op.. My mother board died and I'm looking to rebuild my pc.. My budget is more or less same as op.. My current build is
CPU - Intel i5-3570k
MB - Asus P8Z77-V
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 2 x 4gb 1333MHz
SMPS - Corsair TX650
SSD - 256gb Samsung 860 pro

This components are nearly 9 years old except for SSD which I added recently.. I guess I should replace mother board, processor and Ram.. Is it OK if I can use my old smps or I should replace it?! Please suggest a decent config for me. Thank you
The tX650 was a great PSU, it can easily handle mid range config now i suppose.

navino87

In the zone
The tX650 was a great PSU, it can easily handle mid range config now i suppose.
That would be great.. Quality of 9 years old psu won't be an issue right?! Also suggest a decent CPU+mobo+ram combo please.. Not much into gaming.. I will be using the system mostly for office purpose and won't be replacing the system until it dies.. So I want to future proof it as much as possible..

That would be great.. Quality of 9 years old psu won't be an issue right?! Also suggest a decent CPU+mobo+ram combo please.. Not much into gaming.. I will be using the system mostly for office purpose and won't be replacing the system until it dies.. So I want to future proof it as much as possible..
For normal stuff, even a quad-core i3 10105 will do honestly. If you want something powerful, what I suggested above still works well. PSU should be fine for upto 200W dGPUs as well.

Top Bottom