help needed to avoid getting shock always when i get out of my car

Status
Not open for further replies.

hansraj

In the zone
I know it kinda sounds weird but its true and I am disgusted now, though initially it was a matter of fun but now it has become a big nuisance. I noticed it started happening ever since i bought reebok sports shoes. It never happens when i wear the leather shoes or any other kind of shoes.(nothings against reebok guys)
The shock is of similar kind which we get from the LPG stove lighter and its with a popping sound. I get this shock while getting out of the drivers seat, the moment i step out. Now i know the weird stuff like static charge and its getting discharged when i get this shock but what i am interested is HOW TO ESCAPE THIS SHOCK. I dont want to give up using the new reebok shoes. I know i am not the first one to come across this prob, and someone must have a good solution to this prob. Help out guys.
Car: Esteem with tubeless tyres
Steering cover: A nylon based cover (which gives a firm grip without any sweat)
Shoes: Reebok Sports
Victim: Self (the driver... passengers dont get this shock ever)

yippee

lost in my world
yes it is static change your covers for the seat to different material than what youre using now and see what happens
static is the main reason for explosions in gas stations so be careful :)

Last edited:

Disc_Junkie

Call me D_J!
^ Ye you are right. It is because of transfer of charges from higher potential to lower potential. When you are in the car, you are at higher potential and when you come out, your shoes touches the ground which at a lower potential which results in flow of charges and you get mild shock.

OP
hansraj

hansraj

In the zone
thanx dear........ but it will be a costly affair for me to change the seat covers rather I would change the shoes!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

amitash

Intel OCer
This might not be feasable but touch a metal surface connected to the ground before getting out of your car...like a water pipe or sth.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
You could cover the driver seat with a nice towel I guess and put a mat on the floor of your car . You might not need that but I'm not sure if you are using a carpet as it is. If it is then that might be causing it as well. This usually happens to me in US when you walk around on a carpeted floor with socks and then grab a metal door knob.

OP
hansraj

hansraj

In the zone
Just remove the nylon steering wheel cover for a few days and see. It should solve your problem

ya will try this

This might not be feasable but touch a metal surface connected to the ground before getting out of your car...like a water pipe or sth.

Where am i going to find a pole or a pipe in parking..... or i should be carrying it in my car but still the moment i try to ground it i will still get the shock. Only difference is I will be able to get the shock as per my choice..

You could cover the driver seat with a nice towel I guess and put a mat on the floor of your car . You might not need that but I'm not sure if you are using a carpet as it is. If it is then that might be causing it as well. This usually happens to me in US when you walk around on a carpeted floor with socks and then grab a metal door knob.

Well I am using a rubber foot mat ........ and yes i will keep a towel now for some time.

I have a doubt now. There could be two possibilities
1. The car and self are getting static charge but the car is unable to discharge it to the ground because of the tyres and with those shoes I am conducting that charge to grd because of which I am getting a shock.

2. The car is at the same potential as that of earth but my body is getting charged because of some reason and when i try to get out and get in contact with the metal I get a shock as the charge gets discharged.

What could be the case??? If the first case is true then i think i can hang a metal wire hanging which will contineously discharge from car to ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom