Help needed in building my first PC

kaz

right here
I was planning to get a laptop from Thailand, but that didn't work out because of MSI and Acer not providing global warranty and the new Strix G/III has poor cooling. So, I have finally decided to build a PC.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Mostly Chrome, no kidding, I'm serious. Apart from that, Adobe Applications (like Premiere Pro, Lightroom, Photoshop), HandBrake, Hyper-V or VMware vSphere to run Windows Server. And games like Forza Horizon 4, Dirt Rally 2, Project Cars 2, Moto 2019, Ride 2, Overwatch, some RTX goodness (like Battlefield V and Assetto Corsa Competizione) and CS 1.6 to bottleneck the system.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: Under ₹150k, don't want to extend.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Yes.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 10 Pro.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: I can settle with a 250 GB M.2 SSD as of now and hook up ext HDDs which I already have, will buy 1TB SATA SSD later during Diwali sale.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Yes, I have to buy a monitor. A 2k or 4k 27 or 32 inches should be good enough. More than refresh rate I'm interested in colour accuracy.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Speakers and mouse, I have a Logitech Z625 speakers and M235 mouse. I'll buy a wired one later.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: As soon as Ryzen 3000 and RTX Super is available. I'm expecting some good deals in the Prime day sale on the 15th of July where I can at least pick a monitor. Not sure if SSD, RAM or other components will be on sale or not.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Haven't built a PC, but I can do it. Not that big of a noob.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Bangalore. I prefer buying online, but I'll check with local sellers for pricing as well.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Below is the list of components that I have selected. Please provide your suggestion.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X : ₹30k (Price not confirmed yet)
MB: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC (Wi-Fi) : ₹12k
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 Gaming Z : ₹34k (I think I'll get this for lesser after Super launch)
Monitor: LG 27UK650-W 27-Inch 4K-UHD : ₹32.5k
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4 3200MHz : ₹9.2k
SSD: Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 256GB M.2 : ₹5.1k
Case: COOLER MASTER MASTERBOX MB520 RGB - ₹5.5k or Antec Dark Avenger DA601 RGB (Black) - ₹6.7k. Which one would be better?
PSU: Corsair TX650M : ₹7.3k (not available anywhere online, please suggest any substitute)
UPS: Microtek 1KVA UPS : ₹4.2k
Keyboard: Please suggest one with backlit keys for around ₹3k
Card Reader: UGreen USB 3.0 from AliExpress : ₹340
Mouse Pad: RGB 40x90cm mousepad from AliExpress: ₹1400
Additional Fans: Corona Angel Eye x2 from AliExpress: ₹1900 (Is is needed or stock case fans are good enough?)
OS: Win 10 Pro. Is this good or can I get it for even lesser: Windows 10 Professional - Reaper Shop
Total: ~146k

Any additional component I need to buy?

Please provide suggestions for a decent wired mouse under 2k and 1TB SATA SSD, which I would be buying later.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Make sure to check bios reviews before buying 450 series mobo for Ryzen 3xxx as initial bios versions to work with newer hardware are usually buggy compared to native support hardware. Also go for coolermaster MB511 cabinet as it has front mash panel which is definitely better for cooling. For psu you can try Antec Earthwatts gold pro 650W model from mdcomputers but make sure there is a 7 years warranty logo(not sticker) on psu box before ordering by confirming via email.You can also go for corsair CX650 or corsair vengeance 650 model.

Reactions: kaz
OP
kaz

kaz

right here
Get APC 1.1 KVA UPS, dont go for local brands
Thanks, it's available for ₹5k on their site. I'll get it from there.

Though Microtek is offering 2 years warranty where as APC only has 1. Do you think that would be an issue?

Last edited:
OP
kaz

kaz

right here
Make sure to check bios reviews before buying 450 series mobo for Ryzen 3xxx as initial bios versions to work with newer hardware are usually buggy compared to native support hardware.
Thanks, will keep an eye on it.

Also go for coolermaster MB511 cabinet as it has front mash panel which is definitely better for cooling.
The difference between MB511 and MB520 is the front panel. MB511 has mesh in the front, whereas MB520 has glass in the front but ample ventilation on both the sides. Do you think it will restrict airflow?

For psu you can try Antec Earthwatts gold pro 650W model from mdcomputers but make sure there is a 7 years warranty logo(not sticker) on psu box before ordering by confirming via email.You can also go for corsair CX650 or corsair vengeance 650 model.
If TX650 remains out of stock, I'll get the Earthwatts.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mash front panel will almost always have more airflow compared to solid front panel.If 3700X thermal performance is similar to i7 8th/9th gen 'x' processors then I think MB511 is a better option.

OP
kaz

kaz

right here
Mash front panel will almost always have more airflow compared to solid front panel.If 3700X thermal performance is similar to i7 8th/9th gen 'x' processors then I think MB511 is a better option.
Yeah, I expect it would run hot. MB211 is definitely a better option just that I like MB520 more :)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks, it's available for ₹5k on their site. I'll get it from there.

Though Microtek is offering 2 years warranty where as APC only has 1. Do you think that would be an issue?
Some people on reddit recently commented that APC quality is not as it was earlier but if price difference is not much then I think APC is safer choice.Btw even iball ups come with 2 years warranty & my friend had no issues with it for those 2 years(just that a few months after warranty ended its battery backup was gone which is expected as usual battery life of ups is ~2 years).

In ebay.com, Win10 Pro OEM keys go for $5 or less (that's the cheapest place I know). Its kind of a grey area, but many people have reported those keys to be working fine (go with sellers who have sold a lot of keys with a good number of reviews).

Otherwise, the rig looks good to me.

Your PSU is available here:
Buy Online Corsair TX650M 650 Watt 80 Plus Gold Certified PSU CP-9020132-UK - in India
Other options: Corsair RM650x, Cooler Master MWE 650

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
In ebay.com, Win10 Pro OEM keys go for $5 or less (that's the cheapest place I know). Its kind of a grey area, but many people have reported those keys to be working fine (go with sellers who have sold a lot of keys with a good number of reviews).
The money spent on these keys is not going to MS anyway so why spend at all.I am sure MS too would rather user "ahem" their software instead of giving money to 3rd party.Also one can simply use the "free upgrade from activated win 7 ultimate to win 10 pro path" which still works(no need to tell how to get activated win 7 ultimate ;) ).

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
I don't see any point of buying Windows keys from 3rd party websites. Even Microsoft doesn't care much about people using their operating systems in dishonest ways because ultimately it benefits to their business and popularity of their OS anyways.

I don't see any point of buying Windows keys from 3rd party websites. Even Microsoft doesn't care much about people using their operating systems in dishonest ways because ultimately it benefits to their business and popularity of their OS anyways.
Pirated copies will fail after a few months if Windows updates are left on, Defender won't work properly. $5 or so isn't a big amount for an almost genuine key, its definitely grey area.

The money spent on these keys is not going to MS anyway so why spend at all.I am sure MS too would rather user "ahem" their software instead of giving money to 3rd party.Also one can simply use the "free upgrade from activated win 7 ultimate to win 10 pro path" which still works(no need to tell how to get activated win 7 ultimate ;) ).
If someone already has a key, definitely using the upgrade method is far better. But most users in India don't buy Windows & usually, those who have keys have it linked to the device with which they came.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^You missed the "wink" emoji,I am not sure if you know but millions of win 7 users got their "genuine win 7 ultimate" courtesy of 3 letters(D A Z) which eventually got MS to redesign the whole activation system from scratch from win 8 onward.Also MS remains aware of this loophole of letting "DAZd win 7 ultimate free upgrading to win 10 pro" so it can be safely assumed that MS doesn't care about "origins of win 7 ultimate" as long as you update to win 10.

Those $5 is something that may be contributing to illegal sale/stolen CCs/tax evasion etc so why do it.It is kind of like buying pirated bollywood movies cd/dvd made in Dubai by mumbai underworld influences based in pakistan vs directly downloading pirated movies over internet,both are piracy but in first instance your money is going to fund crime against you/your nation vs second instance where at worst it hurts ticket sales(assuming you were going to watch that movie in hall if not for piracy).

^^You missed the "wink" emoji,I am not sure if you know but millions of win 7 users got their "genuine win 7 ultimate" courtesy of 3 letters(D A Z) which eventually got MS to redesign the whole activation system from scratch from win 8 onward.Also MS remains aware of this loophole of letting "DAZd win 7 ultimate free upgrading to win 10 pro" so it can be safely assumed that MS doesn't care about "origins of win 7 ultimate" as long as you update to win 10.

Those $5 is something that may be contributing to illegal sale/stolen CCs/tax evasion etc so why do it.It is kind of like buying pirated bollywood movies cd/dvd made in Dubai by mumbai underworld influences based in pakistan vs directly downloading pirated movies over internet,both are piracy but in first instance your money is going to fund crime against you/your nation vs second instance where at worst it hurts ticket sales(assuming you were going to watch that movie in hall if not for piracy).
I didn't knew DAZd Win7 can be upgraded.

There's a chance that these keys are bought using stolen CCs & might even get deactivated later, but most of them seem to be OEM keys or from bulk orders for institutes/organizations.

Minion

Conversation Architect
No,these are volume keys most organisations buy them because it is way cheaper than getting individual license so it is fully legal.Spending 400-700 is great because these keys are valid for life time.

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
Pirated copies will fail after a few months if Windows updates are left on, Defender won't work properly. $5 or so isn't a big amount for an almost genuine key, its definitely grey area.
Looks like you use authentic copy only. ;) Because what you mentioned isn't true.
It runs perfectly fine even if everything is turned on. All my windows PCs are always up to date. The reason behind it is that Microsoft actually doesn't care much about their OS piracy as licensing people doesn't add much to their revenues.
Why Microsoft Is Giving Away Windows 10 To Pirates [Update]
*www.quora.com/Why-doesnt-Microsoft-take-action-on-the-millions-of-pirated-copies-of-Windows

There is a reason why Microsoft still lets anyone upgrade to Windows 10 for free from older pirated versions. Piracy makes the masses, specially in developing countries, to adapt their OS completely, which is a massive win for them in long run.

Minion

Conversation Architect
I was planning to get a laptop from Thailand, but that didn't work out because of MSI and Acer not providing global warranty and the new Strix G/III has poor cooling. So, I have finally decided to build a PC.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Mostly Chrome, no kidding, I'm serious. Apart from that, Adobe Applications (like Premiere Pro, Lightroom, Photoshop), HandBrake, Hyper-V or VMware vSphere to run Windows Server. And games like Forza Horizon 4, Dirt Rally 2, Project Cars 2, Moto 2019, Ride 2, Overwatch, some RTX goodness (like Battlefield V and Assetto Corsa Competizione) and CS 1.6 to bottleneck the system.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: Under ₹150k, don't want to extend.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Yes.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 10 Pro.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: I can settle with a 250 GB M.2 SSD as of now and hook up ext HDDs which I already have, will buy 1TB SATA SSD later during Diwali sale.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Yes, I have to buy a monitor. A 2k or 4k 27 or 32 inches should be good enough. More than refresh rate I'm interested in colour accuracy.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Speakers and mouse, I have a Logitech Z625 speakers and M235 mouse. I'll buy a wired one later.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: As soon as Ryzen 3000 and RTX Super is available. I'm expecting some good deals in the Prime day sale on the 15th of July where I can at least pick a monitor. Not sure if SSD, RAM or other components will be on sale or not.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Haven't built a PC, but I can do it. Not that big of a noob.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Bangalore. I prefer buying online, but I'll check with local sellers for pricing as well.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Below is the list of components that I have selected. Please provide your suggestion.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X : ₹30k (Price not confirmed yet)
MB: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC (Wi-Fi) : ₹12k
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 Gaming Z : ₹34k (I think I'll get this for lesser after Super launch)
Monitor: LG 27UK650-W 27-Inch 4K-UHD : ₹32.5k
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4 3200MHz : ₹9.2k
SSD: Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 256GB M.2 : ₹5.1k
Case: COOLER MASTER MASTERBOX MB520 RGB - ₹5.5k or Antec Dark Avenger DA601 RGB (Black) - ₹6.7k. Which one would be better?
PSU: Corsair TX650M : ₹7.3k (not available anywhere online, please suggest any substitute)
UPS: Microtek 1KVA UPS : ₹4.2k
Keyboard: Please suggest one with backlit keys for around ₹3k
Card Reader: UGreen USB 3.0 from AliExpress : ₹340
Mouse Pad: RGB 40x90cm mousepad from AliExpress: ₹1400
Additional Fans: Corona Angel Eye x2 from AliExpress: ₹1900 (Is is needed or stock case fans are good enough?)
OS: Win 10 Pro. Is this good or can I get it for even lesser: Windows 10 Professional - Reaper Shop
Total: ~146k

Any additional component I need to buy?

Please provide suggestions for a decent wired mouse under 2k and 1TB SATA SSD, which I would be buying later.

Why are you getting a 4k monitor and RTX 2060?If you plan to play games then RTX 2060 is not enough for 4K gaming. For 4k gaming atleast RTX 2070 super is needed.My suggestion is get a QHD monitor or get a RTX 2070 Super if you want to keep 4k monitor.

Those GSkill RAM are waste of money because of two reason
1)Anything above 2666 Mhz are all overclocked RAM you have to set RAM clock to 3200 Mhz through XMP profiles if you don't apply XMP profile they will run at 2666 Mhz
2)There is not huge performance difference between 2666MHz and 3200MHz in gaming

I would suggest these
Buy Adata 16GB DDR4 RGB AX4U2666316G16-SR40 at Best Price in India - mdcomputers.in

CoolerMaster MasterBox MB520
Do these have front mesh?If not get Buy COOLER MASTER MASTERBOX MB511 RGB at Lowest Price in India - www.mdcomputers.in

For PSU I would suggest
Buy Antec EARTHWATTS GOLD PRO 650W at Lowest Price in India - mdcomputers.in
These are made by seasonic and comes with 7 years warranty

For UPS get these I couldn't find better UPS
*www.amazon.in/APC-BX1100C-1100VA-2...s&qid=1562132886&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

OP
kaz

kaz

right here
Why are you getting a 4k monitor and RTX 2060?If you plan to play games then RTX 2060 is not enough for 4K gaming. For 4k gaming atleast RTX 2070 super is needed.My suggestion is get a QHD monitor or get a RTX 2070 Super if you want to keep 4k monitor.

The only reason I'm getting that LG monitor is because of the good colour gamut. I couldn't find any similar 2k display. I'll try to push to an RTX 2070, do you suggest getting the Founders Edition or is it better to wait for the AIBs? Is there any chance of getting AIBs cheaper than FE ones?

Keep in mind all these cards are going to be shipped to AICs without the obligatory (vRAM + power phase) kit that was there before. This allows AIBs to use superior power phases and vRAM and lower their own cost while increasing performance. Considering all of these chips are unlocked, they will also be able to drive more TDP to these GPUs to push out higher clock rates. It’s even possible that AIBs will be able to reduce their own cost enough to actually beat NVIDIA’s MSRP – although I wouldn’t hold my breath for it. Source

Those GSkill RAM are waste of money because of two reason
1)Anything above 2666 Mhz are all overclocked RAM you have to set RAM clock to 3200 Mhz through XMP profiles if you don't apply XMP profile they will run at 2666 Mhz
2)There is not huge performance difference between 2666MHz and 3200MHz in gaming

I would suggest these
Buy Adata 16GB DDR4 RGB AX4U2666316G16-SR40 at Best Price in India - mdcomputers.in
But, this is 16x1. I think 8x2 will be a better option.

CoolerMaster MasterBox MB520
Do these have front mesh?If not get Buy COOLER MASTER MASTERBOX MB511 RGB at Lowest Price in India - www.mdcomputers.in
MB520 has glass in the front with mesh surrounding it at the edges. I think I would get the MB511 instead.

For PSU I would suggest
Buy Antec EARTHWATTS GOLD PRO 650W at Lowest Price in India - mdcomputers.in
These are made by seasonic and comes with 7 years warranty
This looks good.

For UPS get these I couldn't find better UPS
*www.amazon.in/APC-BX1100C-1100VA-2...s&qid=1562132886&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1
This has only one year warranty compared to 2 years from Microtek :blink:

Spending 400-700 is great because these keys are valid for life time.

Can you please suggest any reliable site? I was considering this Windows 10 Professional - Reaper Shop @₹700

Top Bottom