Help me pick a used car

OP
H

hotshot05

I luv Digit
If you are transferring insurance from the seller, then inquire from the insurance company.
Find a good mechanic, he will tell you everything after checking the engine and all.
Looks like insurance is over/almost over. What should I inquire from the insurance company? IDV? Or should I directly ask them about the accident record/insurance claims etc?

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Looks like insurance is over/almost over. What should I inquire from the insurance company? IDV? Or should I directly ask them about the accident record/insurance claims etc?

Note that policy number and ask the insurance company whether any claim has been provided or not in the past. This could be tricky if the seller had an insurance from some different company in the past. Your best bet would be to find a good mechanic who can tell you about the engine, paint etc. just by seeing it means an experienced one.

Last edited:
OP
H

hotshot05

I luv Digit
Found a tata car which is 1 year old. Called insurance and they told me 50k claim was made and 48k amiunt was settled. This does not seem to be major damage. But exactly what damage it was, I cannot figure out. Any guess?

ankushv

Journeyman
Found a tata car which is 1 year old. Called insurance and they told me 50k claim was made and 48k amiunt was settled. This does not seem to be major damage. But exactly what damage it was, I cannot figure out. Any guess?

At 48k the damage does seem significant for a Tata car .
It's best to take the car to Tata service and get it inspected for a small fee before you decide to buy it .

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

OP
H

hotshot05

I luv Digit
At 48k the damage does seem significant for a Tata car .
It's best to take the car to Tata service and get it inspected for a small fee before you decide to buy it .

Found out that the bumper and right side door was replaced. This car is being sold by a tata motors assured (pre owned) dealer. And these guys evaluate cars themselves. I am not even sure if the airbags were deployed because of this. Replacing airbags would be costly and wont be covered by any Amc plan or warranty!

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
Found out that the bumper and right side door was replaced. This car is being sold by a tata motors assured (pre owned) dealer. And these guys evaluate cars themselves. I am not even sure if the airbags were deployed because of this. Replacing airbags would be costly and wont be covered by any Amc plan or warranty!

how extensive was the damage to the bumper ? Was it the front bumper ? If the Airbag was deployed the whole dashboard part will be replaced. That would increased the cost of repair.

OP
H

hotshot05

I luv Digit
how extensive was the damage to the bumper ? Was it the front bumper ? If the Airbag was deployed the whole dashboard part will be replaced. That would increased the cost of repair.
It was the rear bumper. I have no idea how extensive was the damage. I got to know of the damage by calling the insurance company.

ankushv

Journeyman
If the rear bumper and door was replaced , kindly find out if the chassis took a hit and if it's not bent now .
If the chassis is bent you have to walk away from the car .
Generally during a wheel alignment one can find out if the chassis is bent or not .
Also if the back door was replaced most likely the car got hit from the side , also check if the side step if it was bent and if it was repaired .

OP
H

hotshot05

I luv Digit
I did not take the Tiago in the end.

I have found a 2014 Brio. 33k on odo. Direct seller.

It had the following things done in the Dec 2017 service -
ENGINE WIRING HARNESS REPLACE DONE
FR BOTH SHOCKER LOWER ARM BUSH DEFECTIVE NEED TO REPLACE
INFORM TO CUSTOMER

And in Nov 2016, the following things were changed -
Replace PAD, FRONT BRAKE
Replace BOTH DISC, FRONT
BRAKE
SET.PAD FR
DISK.FR BRAKE (24

Does the lower arm bush cost a lot?
Since it already has had its engine wiring harness changed due to engine starting problem, is this car worthy of being bought?
I plan on keeping this car for 1-2 year max.

ankushv

Journeyman
Generally a disk set for a car doesn't need replacement at 33k .

Pads need regular replacement I can understand .

Verify from Honda if mileage is correct .

Also front lower arm bush pair change is too early for 33k KM's .

Unless driven over bad roads or driven harshly .

Verify why the harness was changed .

Was is a rat bite or a short circuit .

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

OP
H

hotshot05

I luv Digit
Generally a disk set for a car doesn't need replacement at 33k .

Pads need regular replacement I can understand .

Verify from Honda if mileage is correct .

Also front lower arm bush pair change is too early for 33k KM's .

Unless driven over bad roads or driven harshly .

Verify why the harness was changed .

Was is a rat bite or a short circuit .

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk
It was a rat bite. Mileage is correct as I got all service info from Honda Connect app itself. Last service was done in december.

Now I am looking for documents to be used during the sale.

Does anyone know about the format of a money receipt?
I called a RTO Agent(tout) and he said signed money receipt is mandatory. On the Team BHP thread (how to sell used car?), only delivery note format is provided. No format given for money receipt

sujoyp

Grand Master
Wow this is interesting. I am also swinging between getting a used car or a new FZ25 :p

Will get used car for not more than 2.5 as I want to set my hands on it..will get a new after 2 yrs.

Top Bottom